1992 Buick Roadmaster Wagon

I submitted a wrong year on previous inquiry.<BR>My Dad's Buick Roadmaster is a 1992 with an on-board (stock) load leveler system. He is having problems with it always going "on" even without any added weight. Since he pulls a large sailboat, he wants to know if he can "by-pass" this system and have air shocks installed. Previous messages said that this car came with air shocks, I always thought it had shocks with "air pillows" around them, and when weight was added, the pump went on and blew them up more. My Dad wants to install air shocks, blow up when neccessary, and disconnect load leveler fuse to stop system from functioning. Thanks.

The shocks with the "pillows" around them are air shocks. The auto level system compressor runs only when the height sensor detects the rear axle to body clearance is less than normal ride height, such as when heavily loaded or towing a trailer. If the compressor is running with the car at normal height, there if a failure in the system, most probably an air leak in the plumbing. The air shocks themselves may be OK. They are easily checked with soapy water.

Bob is right, you HAVE air shocks on the car already. They may be leaking down or there may be a leak in one of the air lines from the compressor, albeit a small one. Every two or three hours my compressor kicks on for about 3-5 seconds. It isn't worth the aggravation to find a small leak like that, at least it isn't to me! Your dad can buy an air line kit with a schrader valve and plumb it to where he wants it. He can also unplug the compressor so it will no longer function.