Considering purchase of a 1929 series 116 sedan

Axial_Flow

Hello prewar Buick friends.

I came upon this local 1929 sedan a few months ago and I am finally considering looking over the car.  I was not really looking for the "smaller" Buick, but this one appear to be in good shape and somewhat local for me.

I will attach a few pictures of the car below.

Maybe some of you saw the car at Hershey, per the seller it was there, but somehow I missed it.

Can anyone confirm if the interior is original?

The seller states the car does not idle well, I assume it has the typical Marvel carb issues that need worked out.  Comment?

Any general comments or something I should be looking at in closer detail?

Any idea what a fair price is on this car?  

Thank you

Buick3.jpg

Buick4.jpg

Buick5.jpg

Buick6.jpg

Buick7.jpg

• Like 3

I saw this at Hershey this past year, I feel as if he was asking a little too much . 

I have a 29 model 27 as well, the carburetors are known to be troublesome. Most people swap the carburetors out to a 27-28 brass style carburetors because the 29 is made of pot metal. The car looked all together so if you’re not Afraid to work on it why not 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2023 at 11:15 PM, BuickTom87 said:

I saw this at Hershey this past year, I feel as if he was asking a little too much . 

I have a 29 model 27 as well, the carburetors are known to be troublesome. Most people swap the carburetors out to a 27-28 brass style carburetors because the 29 is made of pot metal. The car looked all together so if you’re not Afraid to work on it why not 

Hello Tom, do you recall what the seller was asking for the car at Hershey?

On your `29 (which is very nice looking btw....)  do you run an earlier carburetor?  I was going to call the carbking next week to see if he had any available.

• 2 weeks later...

@BuickTom87  Two questions

My reference books do not agree on the rated engine horsepower of this car, what is the correct HP?

What is a comfortable driving speed for this car?  For reference, my `30 Chevrolet coupe is pretty happy around 45 mph.

Randy:

My "70 Years of BUICK" the 116 series is rated at 74 HP.

The Buick is still a 45-50 mph car. It will do better but the rear axle ratios are somewhat limiting in this era. I will defer to Mark Shaw in his assesment as he has had direct experience.  I have had my 1925-25 Buick up to 55 mph for a short time to be able to cross the Rt 581 Bridge at Harrisburg which it does not like! The 29-27 is also 3,630 lb car.

There is a very nice, very original 1927-27 now in Lancaster purchased by a young man in his early 20s.

DSCF8070.JPG.d6bdc1550754c483c8528fb38b713561.JPGThe previous owner had driven it for nearly 3 years, 2 of them as his daily driver around Chicago. But being very respectful of the cars engineering limitations. 

The new owner wanted to drive the car to The Old Car Festival in Mich. traveling the PA. and Ohio turnpike. He was asking me what higer speed axles or gears were available. Never factoring the inherent issue of stopping and control of a 95 year old vehicle.

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)
  • Like 4

@dibarlaw  Thank you for the comments.  Very nice 1927 Buick and I am glad to hear of another person under the age of 40 interested in pre war cars.

Yes, picking a bridge to cross the river near Harrisburg is like "pick your poison".  Not many options as the minimum speed anymore, regardless of the posted speed limit is 65 - 70 mph.  It is probably way out of your way, but the 462 bridge is probably your best bet.

On 3/24/2023 at 9:51 AM, Axial_Flow said:

@BuickTom87  Two questions

My reference books do not agree on the rated engine horsepower of this car, what is the correct HP?

What is a comfortable driving speed for this car?  For reference, my `30 Chevrolet coupe is pretty happy around 45 mph.

I’ll have to look at my book for the hp, I forgot the exact #

as for speed comfortable about 40. I’ve gotten it up to 60-65 how ever that’s pushing it. As well it sure does suck up gas . 

• Thanks 1