Buick Rear Springs

My father has a 1964 Buick Special Deluxe Sedan which recently broke an upper control arm in the rear suspension. He has repaired this, but has measured the ride height according to the manual he has and has found that it is low. (I'm not sure how much)<P>He wants to get the springs re-set and does not know what free standing length they should be. Would you or anyone be able to assist with this information?<P>Any information or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Springs reset ? Hmm...maybe I need a little more experience, but I have never heard of that one before (...though maybe there is such a thing, I'm not meaning to come across as sarcastic...). Truthfully, get yourself to the Hemmings Motor News Website and buy yourself a new set...would probably due you to get a new set for the front as well. There are plenty of places that make either the stock design or the variable load designs. If worse comes to worse, get to a Tuffy or Midas shop and they should be able to get a set for you and install them. Good Luck.

Over time, springs lose their tension. If you know the correct original length and spring rate etc, you can have a spring manufacturer re-set the springs. It may be easy in the U.S. to go to your local dealer for some springs, but in Australia it is not easy to get new parts for an American car that is nearly 40 years old.

John,<P>Here in the states new coil and leaf springs and spring rubbers are quite commonly available for cars of this vintage from outfits like ESPO and J.C. Whitney. We generally have to mail order them anyway, and I'm sure both these firms and many others have international shipping capability. <P>I bought 1 set of springs from each of these 2 places for my 1960 and they cost me less than $60 a pair. It might be a bit expensive to ship 30 lbs of spring to Australia, but I'd think it would be worth it for peace of minds sake.<P>One suggestion, if you go this route <B> do no </B> buy the standard duty springs. The "heavy duty" springs are about the same price and they're worth it. My LeSabre rides about 1 inch lower than stock now thanks to my ingorance! blush.gif" border="0

Sorry, I didn't realize your situation. You would have to be careful about resetting the springs though - I'm not a spring man, but I believe they are heat treated, and any re-stretching of them would probably require more heat treating to stress relieve them. I would still go the line with the new springs if you can - how many times have you had to go back and do something twice because you didn't take the time or money to do it right the first time (...I'm the first one to stand in the guilty line for that one...! ) ?