My 1966 LeSabre coupe

JonW

My father started his career selling Chevrolets, became a Buick dealer, than an Oldsmobile dealer. So, I am partial to Buicks and Oldsmobiles. I also own a 1970 GS 455 Stage 1 4-speed with factory air and a 1963 LeSabre wagon. I recently got my '66 LeSabre coupe back from the shop and got it cleaned up.ย 

ย 

I realize that not all of you will like this car, since it is not completely stock. But I like it and think it turned out well. Admins, feel free to delete if you think necessary.

ย 

I was surfing eBay last fall and ran across this '66 Buick LeSabre coupe. This is not a car you see often. The auction mentioned that it had original paint and 23,000 actual miles. There were just a handful of photos, a sparse description, and the seller wasn't answering any questions. I had a good feeling about the car and the price was reasonable, so I bought it.ย 

ย 

When the car arrived, I was satisfied with it overall. The negatives were the huge 20" wheels (which were in the photos and I knew about), the suspension being lowered by torching the springs, and the front bumper which had been destroyed by the transport driver. There was some touch-up on the paint in areas, but it appeared to be mostly original. The interior was spectacular. The car is tighter and more solid than most its age. So I believe the 23,000 miles shown to be actual.

ย 

A friend of mine who ownes a restoration shop took the car. He ran a compression test on the engine and it came back good. The suspension was almost on the bump stops, so new springs were installed on all 4 corners. The 20" wheels were sold and 17" took their place. A good front bumper was found and rechromed. Since the front bumper looked new, we decided to rechrome the rear bumper also. Aside from fixing some minor surface rust around the rear window, we did no painting on the car. The existing paint was color sanded and buffed.

ย 

Since I want to tour with this car, we added front disc brakes, air conditioning, fuel injection and cruise control. My wife and I both prefer bucket seats, so we sourced buckets from a '66 Impala and had them covered in the correct fabric to match the rear seat. The carpet was replaced, although I'm not happy with it and they're going to re-do it. A console from a Chevelle was installed with a clock, and I used the shifter location to install a cup holder made with my 3D printer. The headliner, door panels, and dash are all original.

ย 

i really enjoy driving the car and love the uniqueness of the body style.ย 

ย 

fWmXYQw.jpg

ย 

qGeqDJx.jpg

ย 

7jiqKvc.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, JonW said:

There were just a handful of photos, a sparse description, and the seller wasn't answering any questions. I had a good feeling about the car

That would have had me running as fast as I could in the other direction. I'm so glad that your instincts were right! Welcome, and I wish you many safe and pleasurable miles behind the wheel of that beautiful car.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Jon, enjoyed your post and the pictures.
ย 

ย Please consider starting a post under Me and My Buick where this can be enjoyed by many!

ย 

Seats look amazing and appear as Buick would have intended. Lots of room up front too!

cheers

Rodney ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...