CHICKASHA SWAP MEET ON MARCH 17TH

Terry Wiegand

The swap meet in Chickasha is coming up on March 17th.  As always, Friday is the big day.  The Pre-War Buick Enthusiasts have been been getting together at Steve Hammatt's space at high noon on Friday for several years now.  I spoke with Larry Schramm earlier this afternoon and he told me that Steve would not be there.  It would be a good idea to go ahead and get together in that area since everybody knows where this space is located.  Looking forward to seeing friends again this year and talking a lot about old Buicks.  See ya there.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone,

I will be at Chickasha this week and let's plan on getting together on Friday at 12:00 noon Oklahoma time at the spaces that Steve Hammatt has had for years. I do not think he will be attending this year again.

If there is someone in his old space, let's plan on meeting between the two buildings under the breezeway.

Be there and be square for the annual picture Friday at 12:00 noon Oklahoma time.

See everyone.

Larry
  • Like 2

The weather was borderline COLD.  I was there for the very first meet in 1990 and I think I have only missed 2 or 3 since then.  We have been there when it was so cold that you could not get enough clothes on to stay warm and we have been there when you would come home with sunburned faces.  In regard to buyers - a person did not see very many people carrying things.  In my situation I am not needing anything for the Buick.  It is a good thing about that because there just wasn't anything much there that would be worth taking home.  I had about 3 hours worth of drive time heading towards home and I have made up my mind that this was the last time that I will be going down.  I will miss seeing friends but it is what it is and as was said, this could be very close to the end of this meet.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is scheduled for next year, and I will be there. Yes, it was downright COLD. There were Buick parts if you looked hard enough. I could not pass up this near perfect honeycomb radiator for a '26 Buick for less money than it cost me in gas to get there and back. Ben Garland had TWO PAIR of 1936-38 sidemount covers for sale at his space. One of the indoor vendors had several Buick tail light assemblies for sale. I saw 1928, 1929, 1931 and 1932 Buick tail lights. I saw 1920s Buick headlight drums and a few 1920s Buick dashboard gauges. Saw a nice set of '39 Buick Special front fenders; a '28 Buick hood; a '26 Buick cowl & dashboard. You guys just have to LOOK!🤔

I saw so many wonderful Pre-War cars (other than Buick) that I would never see anywhere else! Where else are you going to see a '35 DeSoto AIrflow coupe? Where else are you going to see a 1924 Willys-Knight with the sleeve valve engine? I would not miss this swap meet for anything, unless I was deathly ill. It is ALWAYS worth going to this meet. Of course, I'm only a 4 to 5-hour drive away.

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

Chicka #13.JPG

Edited by Pete Phillips
better photo (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I am going to agree with Pete.  There were parts and pieces for certain cars, but the thing about that is, if you have a certain make, model, and year, you will know what to look for.  In my case, there were no 1916 Model D-45 Buick parts and/or pieces that I was able to spot.  As I said earlier, I have been coming down to this meet for years and years.  However, this year's meet had something that just blew me away.  In the building that has the dirt floor for the livestock events and almost to the back end, The Willys-Overland-Knight folks had their gathering place and display set up.  One of their members had a display set up that dealt with Stewart-Warner Vacuum Tanks.  This gentleman had made a working model of a SW vacuum tank using two clear, acrylic cylinders.  The tank lid (cover if you will) and the internal float valve mechanism were from an actual tank and when it was all put together, a person could see just how things worked internally.  He had a vacuum pump mounted on the display board along side the model tank.  The fluid was a red colored liquid that looked for all the world like Marvel Mystery Oil.  When he turned the vacuum pump on the tank functioned just like it would on an actual running automobile engine.  That was about the neatest thing that related to an automobile engine that I have ever seen.  That display was worth the trip down for.  Did anyone else see this display?  If you did, we'd like to hear your thoughts also.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 5

The working model was created by WOKR member Bill Gray. It's a great site to see it working.

He is also at Hershey Meet (Red Field) every year with this working model. Also models of a sleeve valve engine cutaway are on display.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1