50 Buick jetback

John Barden

Somebody pulled all of that poor Burick's teeth!😫

I'd say depends how badly you want a 1950 Jetback. Given the amount of "work" it's already been subjected to I'd be suspicious of what else you might find and the quality of work.

For some reason I think you're gonna find a small block Chevy drivetrain in there.

$4,000 is only the "entry fee". That can vary. I you like the car buy it. In the long haul it won't make much difference. You are looking at 300 $100 jobs that may or may not ever get done. 300 little adventures can have a value of their own. That is a generality.

Specifically, if you are asking for opinions it would be better to wait for the car you are just dying to have no matter what other opinions may be. That car will come along eventually, probably a couple weeks after you buy this one.

Anyone who knows me will tell you I pay too much and never ask for advice. Works fine for me.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well then- either he jumped into the deep end and bought it, or read what was posted here and decided to leave it alone.

I'd like to see this magenta Burick saved, even as a mild Kustom, but 4 grand is just too steep an entry fee knowing there's probably ten times that much in work awaiting.

Yeah, wish he had taken a picture of under the hood, or, told us where it's at.  The front grille just doesn't work.  $4000 for a 2 door Jetback is not outrageous.  Depends on under the hood.  If it was a manual trans, this would be a good canidate for the Ben Bruce treatment, a hot rod 263.  This car, with the "no side chrome", makes me think it might be the model with a rear shelf instead of a back seat.  The glass is good.  Rust on the bottoms of the doors is manageable.  If you could get this car for $3000, it would be a fun place to start for a toy.  But then there's this:  1956 Buick Special, 4 door. 364 V8, Dynaflow.  Looks like you could put a battery in it, fill the caruretor float bowl with gas and it would light right off.  Oh, it's on Facebook Market Place, in Charlotsville, VA., asking $5000.  The interior is pretty bad, the trunk lock appears to punched, missing, whatever.  If it bought this, I would need a place to live.  I want to go look at it, but I'm afraid to, because I might have to bring it home.  To me, this car is a deal if it looks this good in person and it's not rotted to pieces.  I've come to accept floors and trunks with rust holes, but, if the door bottoms inside and out are solid, winner winner, chicken dinner.  Tell me why I don't need this.  Pick it apart so my dream bubble pops.

Left rear 56 Buick.jpg

left side 56 Buick.jpg

Lert front 56 Buick.jpg

rt side 56 Buick.jpg

interior 56 Buick.jpg

Engine 56 Buick.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sonomatic said:

Pick it apart

Wonder why it is thought to be a 364 cu in V8? Looks like a 322, with a cobbled starter switch, and a dangerous install method for electronic spark control.  But you may be right about it firing right up with the also cobbled fuel pump. If you really want a reason to not buy it how about the wipers likely wont work?  😃

• Like 2

Because the person that posted that it was a 364 had a brain fart. What I was thinking was, the 264 was gone by 1956 and this car would have the 322 as you and others correctly stated. Also,as you said, the inoperable windshield wipers are a deal breaker. I’m over it. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Sonomatic said:

Yes EmTee, not ready to admit it but am starting to suspect I might have a problem

There are certainly worse afflictions to suffer!  The right car will come along...  ;)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, EmTee said:

There are certainly worse afflictions to suffer!

If there are, I can't think of any. The only reason I'm able to say that I'm a recovering autoholic is because I don't have the physical room to accumulate any others. I satisfy my addictive tendencies with radio equipment...

• Like 2

Off topic but buying used exercise equipment reminds me of some For Sale car pictures. The before and after pictures where before shows a pretty good looking older car and the after (selling) picture shows a semi-assembled project. Usually a detailed chassis with an untouched body and interior nearby.

Kind of like looking at the guy selling the as new exercise equipment and asking him how it works (or not asking).

I will admit that I buy and used second hand exercise equipment with good success. But the results are visceral.

4 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

If there are, I can't think of any. The only reason I'm able to say that I'm a recovering autoholic is because I don't have the physical room to accumulate any others. I satisfy my addictive tendencies with radio equipment...

Which can also take up a lot of room. Along with diecast models, vintage lamps, clocks, tools... and so on to infinity.

I look thru cars for sale on here and think how nice it might be to own some of them. Then reality smacks me upside the head, and I realize the neat old car is just the down payment. There's service books, spare parts, special tools, and the real kicker- having to build somewhere for it to live.

And I keep looking at them and thinking how nice they'd be to own...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Re: the green 1956 Buick Special sedan pictured above for $5000. No again, no again and no again. A thousand times no again. It is not a deal. You don't need it, forget about it. BTW there are still plenty of old cars available that don't need the floors & trunk replaced or require a tetanus shot update just to sit in the interior. 

• Thanks 1