1916 Simplex, Crane model 5

This car represents a number of great things all rolled in to one car.     Great elite chassis, custom body, provenance,  condition, and the sympathetic refresh to make it a usable.

I have no interest in this car other than somebody else needs to buy it so I don't end up doing it. 

simplex-crane-enclosed-drive-formal-limousine-1905-1918.jpg?_ga=2.261346637.1171254868.1676500108-844949150.1662848133

simplex-crane-enclosed-drive-formal-limousine-1905-1918.jpg

simplex-crane-enclosed-drive-formal-limousine-1905-1918.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Buy it....it's the only early car I know of that doesn't need any sorting. The hands that were placed on the car for its overhaul are true craftsman's. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

Wanna go 50/50 with me?  I'll let you maintain it.

50/50 works for my......you pay for it, and I maintain it. Title/taxes/and insurance are a 90/10 split...........you get the 90 percent.😎

• Haha 2

AJ, thanks for bringing attention back to this great car.  When It was first posted with the option to follow along as they went through the "freshening" up of it, I began following it and reading their updates.  I have really enjoyed it.  I love the video's that have gone along with it.  Good luck to you and Ed with your negotiations on split ownership.  If you've ever witnessed Ed behaving poorly and have video/pic evidence, use that to your advantage as you hammer out the details....perhaps there are no past episodes of Ed behaving badly....  

In my education of this era of great cars, help me out someone, I often see those headlight lens with the vertical orientation and a purple hue..........what is the story/manufacturer of those?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

AJ, thanks for bringing attention back to this great car.  When It was first posted with the option to follow along as they went through the "freshening" up of it, I began following it and reading their updates.  I have really enjoyed it.  I love the video's that have gone along with it.  Good luck to you and Ed with your negotiations on split ownership.  If you've ever witnessed Ed behaving poorly and have video/pic evidence, use that to your advantage as you hammer out the details....perhaps there are no past episodes of Ed behaving badly....  

In my education of this era of great cars, help me out someone, I often see those headlight lens with the vertical orientation and a purple hue..........what is the story/manufacturer of those?

I never behave poorly........I have had some exceptional adventures where a throttle was stuck wide open on a few cars while test driving it............

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

They weren't purple to begin with. They are probably Bausch & Lomb lenses (RR also used them) and the glass has a lot of lead in it. They turn purpleish with age.

I always understood that it was the manganese content in old glass that cause the purpling when exposed to light, not lead.

• Like 4

On 2/18/2023 at 7:36 PM, JV Puleo said:

Might be...I don't claim to be a chemist or have any qualifications as to the mineral content of glass. In any case, the lenses weren't originally purple.

Yep, I never knew the glass did that.  I got to digging, never a good thing when I’m left unattended….

https://sciencing.com/glass-turn-purple-7183982.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...