64 Aluminum Dash panels

Riv Eng

Does anybody have a lead on a source for new or good condition used ribbed aluminum dash inserts for a 64. Mine are scratched, I'm repainting my plastic dash in the Argent silver anyways and would rather remove my old aluminum panels and replace them than try to tape them off and save them. 

21 minutes ago, Riv Eng said:

Does anybody have a lead on a source for new or good condition used ribbed aluminum dash inserts for a 64. Mine are scratched, I'm repainting my plastic dash in the Argent silver anyways and would rather remove my old aluminum panels and replace them than try to tape them off and save them. 

These are not reproduced. You will need to get good used. AC or non-AC car? 

Bill

Just now, Riv Eng said:

AC. Any ideas on how to get them off? Whatever glue they used certainly continues to do the job. They are stuck!

I’ve never seen anyone be able to take them of without messing them up therefore you’ll not find any that are better than what you have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I’ve never seen anyone be able to take them of without messing them up therefore you’ll not find any that are better than what you have.

Thanks Ed. I guess I'm taping them off. 

Well I did try. I went to my local artists supply shop and picked up some artist pallet knives. They are thin enough to fit under the aluminum and I was able to pry (gently) under the insert. I also had some glue and adhesive remover on hand to try to dissolve the glue. 

The main issue or course, is that the aluminum is (very) thin and even gentle prying will dent it. I started on the bottom on the passenger (glove box side) and noticed the aluminum denting even with a very thin metal blade. 

I then decided that without replacement inserts on hand, that I could live with the scratches and decided to abandon the idea of removing the insert. I'm ok with the scratches (and dents) as they will mostly be covered by the ac vent bezel.

If someone has other ideas, or replacement inserts, let me know! 

20230213_200629.jpg

20230213_200649.jpg

20230213_202228.jpg

35 minutes ago, Riv Eng said:

Good day.

I have no idea if that could be done, but what about looking into having a panel 3D printed then painted aluminium.  Again, I know little about the technology and what it would take to create the template,3D pieces, etc, but sometimes what we can't replicate, we must simply represent.

Other than that, I got nothin'...

Later,

14 minutes ago, MikeJS said:

what about looking into having a panel 3D printed then painted aluminium.  

An idea for sure! may be cheaper to just get new panels stamped out of aluminum.... I'd have to chat to local machining companies.

On 2/14/2023 at 1:37 PM, Pat Curran said:

Not an easy job for sure!

Pat, if it were easy I probably would not like it.

I ground the flange on the back of the panel. Panel is off the car. This particular piece came off with the heat gun and flat blade gentle prying.

Doesnt mean the remainder of the job doesn’t offer some genuine headaches.

Later Gator

The Turbinator 

286BC7EF-4D3C-47BB-B219-A0FB7D81E188.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/13/2023 at 6:22 PM, Riv Eng said:

If you can lift a corner, try slipping dental floss underneath. If the old adhesive has gone brittle, maybe you can saw through it. If the old adhesive is still pliable, some heat? Try to keep the panels flat.

I have not tried it. My early AC '63 has just the argent silver, no panels.

1 hour ago, abandg said:

I have a few loose pieces. They are not easy to find without dents when there are off the dash. Gene.

893DEC25-1790-47DF-A46B-16A6CD0E3224.jpeg

That look like a passenger right hand insert with AC, one without AC and a driver left hand without ac?

PM me with what you have with AC and how much you want. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2023 at 11:58 AM, telriv said:

I'm a little surprised NO ONE has tried a little heat.

Tom T.

Tom I owe you an apology. I should have gone with heat right off the bat!

I dug up an extra passenger side dash piece from the extra parts bin that came with the two 64's I bought. 

The trick is to heat the aluminum with a 1500 watt heat gun and not the plastic underneath. I used a cheap pallet knife to pry and it popped off in seconds! Neat trick for anyone out there looking to replace their '64 panels. 

I'm still in the market for a driver dash aluminum panel, left side, with AC. Hit me up if you have one for sale!

20230325_160202.jpg

20230325_160258.jpg

• Like 3

Update: for anyone trying this, it is better to slide your prybar from the sides and work inwards, rather than from the bottom up. The ribbing gives strength and prevents damage to the aluminum. 

Also if you get the aluminum good and hot with your heat gun, it will almost just slide off, virtually no prying necessary. Second piece took less than a minute from heat gun on to heat gun off. 

20230325_164134.jpg

• Like 3