‘41 320 clutch

valk

The clutch pedal on my ‘41 Roadmaster seems real light, meaning not a lot of resistance when I depress the pedal. I haven’t driven it in a while, and it still works fine, but I remember it being more solid, heavy. Is this a sign that the springs are getting weak? Is there a way to adjust them if they are or better off replacing? 
thanks very much,

Peter

Bless you my son for the efforts required to first remove , move  the rear,  then pull the tranny, and last, remove the clutch.     At this point,  considering the effort,    replace both the clutch and disc.    Check the condition of the flywheel surface and starter  ring gear.    Compared to the 248 engine, pulling the flywheel is 100 percent easier.   Personally,  I would go for it.   Better now when you can control any issues vs out on the road and your clutch begins to fail.   I personally had 3 - 248 engines on my Buick's  and they are a b---ch to change the clutch.     They are  not a difficult job but having a partner under the car helping is wonderful.   Having a shop where you can work more easily under the car is golden...   Done it both ways.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, valk said:

The clutch pedal on my ‘41 Roadmaster seems real light, meaning not a lot of resistance when I depress the pedal. I haven’t driven it in a while, and it still works fine, but I remember it being more solid, heavy. Is this a sign that the springs are getting weak? Is there a way to adjust them if they are or better off replacing? 
thanks very much,

Peter

Have you checked the pedal return spring?   The clutch itself is pretty light, in my experience.

Ben

• Like 1

The clutch in my '38 Century is pretty light; particularly so when compared with the clutch in my '64 GP.  If it isn't slipping, stinking, shuddering or making noise I would keep driving until it does!  ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I find my clutch to be curiously light as well. It doesn't slip in high gear at low speeds when I pin the throttle, so I guess it's OK. I was planning on replacing the torque ball and I'll replace the clutch when I do that job. I decided not to do it this winter simply because I didn't want to risk taking the Buick offline in case I couldn't get it done in time for spring driving--the Lincoln is going to start sucking up a lot of my time shortly.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

The clutch on my 1941 Special (248 small motor of course) is also very light but gives no trouble and I've driven the car 14,400 miles (23,175 km) in the 4-1/2 years I've owned it.

I will be interested to see if the clutch is the same in my 1941 Roadmaster when I finish the restoration (a few years away yet).