Ignition coil resistance

ralphnof49

I am having trouble now with the distributor in my 47 Lincoln. I have no spark and have checked the points and voltage to the connections and they seem OK. Now I am trying to test the coils. Resistance on the secondary side both read 3800 ohms. I can't see how to measure the primary resistance. Does anyone know what the secondary resistance should be?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know about coil resistance, but you should have 2-3 volts at the points terminals on the coil assembly when engine is spinning.  I once used a 0.25 ohm resistor to drop voltage from a 12 volt battery to try to run the engine.  Worked, but resistor got really hot.  Might try a re builder, I've used Flathead Doctor in Portland.

Thanks for your reply. I do have the correct voltage at 2.8 to 3.1, but I am not getting a strong spark. When I test with my timing light I can see there is voltage flow but it is not enough to fire the spark plus. I had the coil rebuilt in 2017 (rather replaced with a 1940 coil.  I have sent it to Skip Haney this time to be rebuilt and hope that works. I have checked all components of the distributor and points are set and current flows and is interrupted when the points break. Timing is set manually so will check dwell when the engine is running.