For Sale: 1954 Pontiac Chieftain Eight Deluxe Catalina, 60K Miles, Original Survivor - $12,500 - Elyria OH - Not Mine

For Sale: 1954 Pontiac Chieftain Eight Deluxe Catalina, 60K Miles, Original Survivor - $12,500 - Elyria OH

1954 Pontiac Chieftain Deluxe Catalina Original Survivor - cars &... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1954 Pontiac chieftain Deluxe Catalina all original survivor car 60,000 miles straight 8 automatic, all new brakes and fuel system drives perfect clean floors and trunk, motor runs but has a noise in it not sure what it is. odometer: 60000
Copy and paste in your email: 73d4e5f1584334398b866a8d3a1a7c17@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1954 Pontiac Chieftain Eight Deluxe Catalina.

'54 Pontiac Chieftain Catalina OH a.jpg

'54 Pontiac Chieftain Catalina OH b.jpg

'54 Pontiac Chieftain Catalina OH c.jpg

'54 Pontiac Chieftain Catalina OH d.jpg

'54 Pontiac Chieftain Catalina OH e.jpg

'54 Pontiac Chieftain Catalina OH f.jpg

'54 Pontiac Chieftain Catalina OH g.jpg

'54 Pontiac Chieftain Catalina OH h.jpg

'54 Pontiac Chieftain Catalina OH i.jpg

'54 Pontiac Chieftain Catalina OH j.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Telephone booth is at the end of the sellers driveway. 

Another collectible artifact, to be sure.  Looked like the back lot of a gas station--except for the 25 mph speed limit sign which should have tipped me off.

I like this one - reminds me of my 1949 red Pontiac convertible- straight 8 and 3-on-the-tree, back in 1959/1960

Price seem not too bad for a solid cruiser, although I would like a StarChief even more

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Nobody asked me but....I don't care for this two-tone gray 54 Pontiac Chieftain at all and here's why. A little investigation shows it's available on Ebay too with a little more detailed description. The Craigslist ad above states "motor runs but has a noise in it." The Ebay ad, where the seller is more responsible for the description of the vehicle he's selling, states "runs but will need some motor repair OR STREET ROD IT. Motor has a knock in it when warmed up." Yet, inexplicably, as I type this it has a high bid of $10K. I don't know how people think, it's possible they don't completely read or comprehend the ad, maybe they have another straight 8 engine ready to drop in, or it's possible they're absolutely in love with this particular car but unless the price was cut at least in half I would RUN AWAY from  this 54 Chieftain with its knocking motor. Total deal breaker. IMO it's not worth the $12.5K anyway with all its "patina", there's no carpeting, and the wrinkled front seat needs work since the foam padding underneath has crumbled away. I don't think the 55 DeSoto Firedome is worth 12K either as those old Mopar 6 volt sedans usually don't bring big money. I like the Emberglow color on it instead of the traditional blues, greens, grays or whatever but that's just a personal preference.     On a different note, backtracking a bit on this "Not Mine" for sale section to Nov. 1st, there was a gorgeous coral & white 54,000 mile 54 Pontiac Star Chief Custom Catalina hardttop with its long wheelbase & leather interior for sale in the Chicago area, the ad said "don't want inheritance." There was much discussion on it here, it was for sale for awhile, the price was reduced some, and folks were speculating it might be available in the $12K-$13.5K range. It was eventually sold and if that speculation turned out to be true, the buyer of that one was the REAL WINNER here among the three cars I'm discussing in this long rant. "Nuff said and as always caveat emptor. 

• Like 2

I'd say roll those dice! This is a good-looking car and it's generally easier to deal with engine problems than bad sheet metal. Given the engine mystery there should be some negotiation on the price, but it could be something as simple as a valve issue.

p

53 minutes ago, Peter S said:

I'd say roll those dice! This is a good-looking car and it's generally easier to deal with engine problems than bad sheet metal. Given the engine mystery there should be some negotiation on the price, but it could be something as simple as a valve issue.

p

When you have a strange noice in the engine its mostly something else than a valve .

To the seller's credit in the Ebay ad he does state that the engine has a knock in it when it gets warmed up. He also acknowledges that it needs the motor repaired "or street rod it" so he may be saying the next owner might want to replace the engine. Evidently at least two people really like this car since the bids keep coming and it's up to $10,400 now. With that existing engine problem along with all the top to bottom patina evidenced by the thin paint on the roof and the fact that this particular car is the lower priced Chieftain hardtop instead of the more exclusive Star Chief hardtop I would be glad that someone else is rolling the dice on this one. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 10:19 PM, DrumBob said:

I'd be proud to own that Pontiac, but the engine knock gives me pause. No carpet and the front seat issue are an easy fix. I know a guy locally who does that work. I'll let this one slide though. 

I agree, nice style, but engine knock and boring color holds this car back.