Stic-tite epoxy- radiator repair

29 Chandler

Anyone have any experience with Stic-Tite radiator repair epoxy? I had a few small pin hole leaks on the 1.5 year old aluminum radiator in my truck. With the lack of radiator repair shops anywhere near me I started looking for alternatives and found this product.

It was remarkably easy to use and sealed quickly. Time will tell how long it lasts. 

I am interested to know if I can use it on my 1914 brass radiator? I have not found any information on the Internet about using it on anything other than aluminum or plastic. Anyone have a experience to share with this product? I know the best and longest lasting fix is to take the whole radiator to a place like Brass Works where the whole radiator is repaired properly. But as a temporary fix interested to see if this is an option.

I can't comment on the effectiveness of this product on your 1914 brass radiator leak, but I would do lots more research before trying it. One of my main concerns would be that using this epoxy product could make the "proper" repair/restoration of this radiator more expensive or impossible at some point in the future. I don't know this would be the case, but that possibility would cross my mind. Best of luck to you! John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have 2 radiators for my 1928 Chrysler restoration, the honeycomb type.  There is not much that can be done to repair the "core" if it leaks except to replace it.  I'm willing to listen to anyone who has had success with any stop leak product because core replacement is very expensive.

I'm pretty sure these miracle-in-a-bottle cooling system sealers require pressure to operate correctly. A pressurized cooling system pushes it out through the hole, causing it to seal. Without the pressure, the stuff just floats around and eventually settles to the bottom of your radiator or block and hardens there.

You know the right thing to do in this situation. You'll be glad you did the right thing when you're out on tour and you're not worrying about that pour-in goop giving up, ending your weekend early and going home on a hook.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I'm pretty sure these miracle-in-a-bottle cooling system sealers require pressure to operate correctly. A pressurized cooling system pushes it out through the hole, causing it to seal. Without the pressure, the stuff just floats around and eventually settles to the bottom of your radiator or block and hardens there.

You know the right thing to do in this situation. You'll be glad you did the right thing when you're out on tour and you're not worrying about that pour-in goop giving up, ending your weekend early and going home on a hook.

Hi Matt

I agree the correct way to fix the issue is a new core. 

The epoxy I am looking at applies externaly to the outside of the core directly to to the leak. This is not bars leak or something that we pour into the radiator and hope it finds its way to the hole.

My main concern is that I have not yet found anyone with experience using this product on a brass radiator just aluminum so far and with good long lasting results for a modern core.

My hope is that this is also an option to use on the older cores.

We sometimes used hot glue on the outside of the radiators on the race cars.

Also tried JB Weld and the likes. Whatever we could find asking around the pits in a pinch.

The hot glue worked best if we were lucky enough to make it home.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried. While I could sometimes seal up one small hole the process of heating the epoxy would create another spot to seal around the core. I used this on my 2008 truck with a modern aluminum radiator I am happy with how easy the epoxy was to work with and has held up. On a 110 year old core that has seen some repairs in the past this did not do the job. At least I tried, I knew what the correct answer was all along but now it means the car will be parked for much of the spring and summer.

Edited by 29 Chandler (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 29 Chandler said:

Well I tried. While I could sometimes seal up one small hole the process of heating the epoxy would create another spot to seal around the core. I will saw this on my 2008 truck with modern aluminum radiator I am happy with how easy the epoxy was to work with and has held up. On a 110 year old core that has seen some repairs in the past this did not do the job. At least I tried, I knew what the correct answer was all along but now it means the car will be parked for much of the spring and summer.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Useful information!

• Like 2

If that happened to me today and I couldn’t find a radiator shop to fix it, I’m with you, I would bite the bullet and fix it the right way, with money and a new radiator.  However that was not the case fifty years ago.  I was changing the water pump on my 5 year old beater ‘68 Nova and you guessed it, dropped the wrench and it ricocheted off the back side of the radiator about mid-way.  Hadn’t thought putting cardboard there as a precaution so it sprung a pretty green leak.   I hadn’t heard of any good epoxy yet, but my brilliant associates in the steel mill where I was working night shift at the time, said to use muffler sealer.  I thought, well, that might get me to a shop or buy a little time.

I found some at a local parts store, and it went on, just like slathering mud on the fins, and in between.  After setting up for a little while, I turned the car on, and the heat from the radiator finished curing it.  It was rock hard, and the thing I liked, was that it was in only the damaged area and not all throughout the radiator like “stop leak”  would have been.  I didn’t have to worry about stop leak overheating and melting and moving around, if it would.  I would check on this fix every once in awhile until i forgot about it.  Before i knew it, five more years had passed, and it was time to sell the car.

This would be a great emergency repair even today if you were out on tour, several hundred miles and enough to get you home.  Today I think I would find a better solution, but this one worked fine at the time.  If I ever did it again, I’m not tellin’  !

Edited by Century Eight (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Drove up to Paso Robles yesterday to drop off our 1914 Chandler radiator to have the core replaced and fix properly at The Brassworks. Met with the owner Lee and he was very friendly and helpful, even coming in on the weekend so my wife and I could make a day trip out of it. From our brief tour of his shop I would say we did the right thing and have the radiator in very capable hands now. Hope to have it back to be repainted before the fall.

• Like 3