Eliminate the distributor

abelincoln

The V-12 distributor is an electro-mechanical work of art, but mine would not take a hotter spark.  I also wanted to mount an air conditioning compressor and a power steering pump.  So I had three pulleys custom made one for the crank pulley and two for the water pumps.  I then had Dutchman in Grants Pass, OR rebuild the water pumps with reversed impellers to turn in the opposite directions.  I had a new crank spacer machined to mount the crank pulley.  I had a Chevrolet 6 inch crank damper hole ground to fit the Lincoln crankshaft.  Then we fitted a serpentine seven rib belt belt  with tension and idler pulleys.  I made an aluminum plate to replace the distributor with a bearing to hold a dummy shaft that would key into the camshaft like the old distributor did..  I also put in a rod to mark where TDC should be.  The crankshaft damper is fitted with a 60-2 toothed wheel and a hall-effect sensor.  A Fueltech controller counts the pulses and decides when to advance spark.  We're using two VW/Audi wasted spark coil assemblies to generate spark. Brackets were fabbed with 3/8 X 1" bar.   Will it work?  We'll find out when its past freezing, I'll put in the radiator and check for leaks.  We've lovingly packed the original pieces should some future owner want to return to stock. 

Abe

Engine front.jpg

• Like 1

I converted my ‘41 to “semi-electronic” by using two Boyer Branson spark boxes triggered by the points.
Are you planning to run two Hall sensors (to accommodate the uneven 75 degree V firing interval)? I don’t see how you could do it with only one.

Edited by Lee H (see edit history)

Thanks for the interest.  Had to think about timing quite a while, draw pictures, etc.  Ended up with a FuelTech controller which reads the hall-effect pickup, and fires according to a preset table of angles.  So I just entered the firing order, and the degree for each coil for the odd fire engine.  However, I'm using two wasted spark coil assemblies, so I have to tell the controller when to fire the twin cylinders that are 360 degrees apart in firing order, eg 1 and 11.  You are right, should we have used another controller, like Holley, we would need two pickups, double set of sensors, etc.

Abe

Wow, that really is sophisticated! So you mentioned that it will also control advance…is that strictly RPM related, or can it also interpret a vacuum (engine load) signal? Very interesting.

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2023 at 1:07 PM, abelincoln said:

Thanks for the interest.  Had to think about timing quite a while, draw pictures, etc.  Ended up with a FuelTech controller which reads the hall-effect pickup, and fires according to a preset table of angles.  So I just entered the firing order, and the degree for each coil for the odd fire engine.  However, I'm using two wasted spark coil assemblies, so I have to tell the controller when to fire the twin cylinders that are 360 degrees apart in firing order, eg 1 and 11.  You are right, should we have used another controller, like Holley, we would need two pickups, double set of sensors, etc.

Abe

Abe, did you ever get this up and running? I’ve been curious ever since you wrote about it.