1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire 4 speed project

Was not going to work on this today but our plans were canceled. With the weather pretty good I decided to paint after Church. It is so difficult for me to decide what to restore/repaint and what not to. With it not being a full restoration I simply have to stop someplace but it drives me crazy. I hope the paint dries slightly less glossy. This was a semi gloss and I suspect I should have went with a little less gloss. To late now, I am running with it.

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

• Like 7

On 3/12/2023 at 9:22 AM, jensenracing77 said:

This is a really crude video but I show how to set dwell and ignition timing without starting the engine and then doing the cam break in. Don't laugh to hard at my terrible video skills. Now on to tuning it good with the cam now broke in. 

Sounds happy! Great setup before the first start, she came to life quick!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rocko said:

If you have time. Thanks

I have this used one. When it was in the car I took it out of, it had oil and grease on it and was soft. I cleaned the grease off of it and has gotten a little hard. I think it would soften up ok if you oiled it up. That or use it as a pattern to cut new leather for. The wire is good in it to wrap it with new leather or use as is. As hard as they are to find I would want $60 shipped if you want to try it. It is one of those parts that I don't mind keeping if you don't want it because if I ever need another one other than the NOS one I have, I am not likely to find it. 

IMG_34411.JPG.44abae54fce703fdaacf9d710ac74040.JPGIMG_34421.JPG.1a21d2de315669a63c43cf86b185ede2.JPG

Not sure how this car passed inspection in 1991. The brakes are down to the rivets. Drums are at NAPA getting turned and I already have brake shoes.

The 103 is the factory code for a front end assembly for a manual steering Jetfire. Most of these are marked on tape and the tape on the drum but this one is direct on the drum.

IMG_3443.JPG

IMG_3444.JPG

I still don't have my master cylinder back from being sleeved but did take it for 3 drives. The first two done fine but I was mostly testing out things like the transmission and other things were doing. The last drive was 4 miles and run it slightly harder. It is running fantastic. Had a little antifreeze leak but fixed that. I live out in the country and can see down the road for a mile so if a car happens to come when I drive with no brakes, I just coast to the side of the road till they pass and go again. The E brake is working. 

Working on some wiring bugs and found that the circuit board in the dash had a bad trace. I have extras but I may just solder a wire in this one instead of puling one out of the parts cars. 

IMG_3523[1].JPG

IMG_3527[1].JPG

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

Just clean it up and using a soldering iron, w piece of wire, and some solder will fix in no time. I use to do it when I found a cracked circuit board. Mike

That is what I am going to do shortly. It is raining and not in the mood to fight it to get one out of a parts car, lol. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Aaron65 said:

I just repaired the board in my Riviera.  Unfortunately, half of the circuits were damaged!  Still, a few hours of work and everything works.

Wow! Mine is nowhere near that bad. At that point, I may have got new foil and made new traces. 

19 minutes ago, jensenracing77 said:

Wow! Mine is nowhere near that bad. At that point, I may have got new foil and made new traces. 

Yeah, I should have probably just found another one, but it was winter and the car was going to be sitting anyway, and I had a bunch of tool wire hanging around, so I decided to give it a go.  

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 10:11 AM, Aaron65 said:

...but it was winter and the car was going to be sitting anyway, and I had a bunch of tool wire hanging around, so I decided to give it a go.  

And the iron was already hot...  ;)

• Like 1

I don't know what your plans are for the battery, but with all of the hours you have invested it sure does stick out!

image.png.4f9c1c7d0cb04016b1b3d225bca952bf.png

Anyway, I had a similar situation with my '64 GP.  My battery worked fine, so I didn't just want to toss it.  I decided to spend ~$20 on one of those tar-top 'battery toppers' on Ebay.  Honestly, from a couple of feet away it looks quite convincing; even up close you need to stare at it for a few seconds.  Your perfectly flat-top battery would be a perfect candidate for one of those.  Oh, and your car looks great - following this story with great interest!  ;)

• Like 3

On 4/14/2023 at 7:34 AM, EmTee said:

I don't know what your plans are for the battery, but with all of the hours you have invested it sure does stick out!

Anyway, I had a similar situation with my '64 GP.  My battery worked fine, so I didn't just want to toss it.  I decided to spend ~$20 on one of those tar-top 'battery toppers' on Ebay.  Honestly, from a couple of feet away it looks quite convincing; even up close you need to stare at it for a few seconds.  Your perfectly flat-top battery would be a perfect candidate for one of those.  Oh, and your car looks great - following this story with great interest!  ;)

I don't like the battery at all. May sound silly to most but I am going a little over budget and way over on hours for this project. I am sure that sounds silly to most because that is the norm for most all people in this hobby. For me, this is the first time ever. I totally misjudged inflation and made a boo boo and had to do a full engine rebuild. The guy I got the car from is buying it back after I am done it looks like. I have to cut a few expense corners and this will be one of them. It is something that he can upgrade if he would like. I do still have a few things under the hood that will still be addressed before I call it done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting on the seat covers. Lots of cleaning and detailing to do now. I have right at 100 miles on it and runs fantastic! I got way behind on posting stuff. I have been so busy that I just couldn't take time to do it. 

Will have to pull the seats back out and replace the foam and covers when they come in. 

IMG_3867.JPG.8cd11210552a824e3dcdd9375fc383a2.JPGIMG_3863.JPG.74c3fd86d93dcb810af46e76ca393cfa.JPG

IMG_3851.JPG.83944d01ed10af2e2a86334380695a87.JPGIMG_3869.JPG.5c7b0b71e364b28c9a1b1d99ddc63314.JPG

• Like 7

On 4/15/2023 at 1:54 PM, jensenracing77 said:

I don't like the battery at all. May sound silly to most but I am going a little over budget and way over on hours for this project. I am sure that sounds silly to most because that is the norm for most all people in this hobby. For me, this is the first time ever. I totally misjudged inflation and made a boo boo and had to do a full engine rebuild. The guy I got the car from is buying it back after I am done it looks like. I have to cut a few expense corners and this will be one of them. It is something that he can upgrade if he would like. I do still have a few things under the hood that will still be addressed before I call it done. 

I would have regretted selling this car too, so no surprise the seller is buying it back. If he was following this post he knows what he’s getting. Great project, your knowledge of this technology and ability to execute is impressive.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi, just cruising through page two and came across a familiar tag!

What a great read and great story. So much of that car has Buick Skylark all over it, especially underbody shots. Guessing GM/Fisher Body used the same floor pan for all the BOPs compacts. Gee it does sound sweet. Love the way you lifted the body up to access the engine. Thinking in a convertible that may not work due to strength. 

And after all that work it gets sold back to the old owner. Look forward to the rest of the storyline!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Whoever ends up with the car....... please change the positive battery cable.... that clamp on terminal just downgrades all the effort put into detailing

the engine compartment.    Don't overlook the small details.  

This picture is another nice engine bay with a clamp on battery terminal.........so sad

1967PontiacGTOConvertible.jpg

• 6 months later...

I just realized I did not update this thread. Things changed at the very last minute for this car. I was loading it up to take it back to the guy I got it from and he called me. He had decided it was best if he didn't buy it back. He felt really bad about it but I assured him it was no problem at all and that I would have no problem selling it. He even offered to cover my time of planning for the trip to his place. I really like the guy and would never even think of doing that. I ended up selling the car to a guy in Washington state and drove from Indiana to the West side of South Dakota to meet him and deliver the car. My wife and I spent the rest of that week in the area of Mt Rushmore and the fantastic drives around the area. 

The guy that ended up with the car is going to drive it for a couple years and then do a full restoration on it.  

It is amazing to me the places that the Oldsmobile and car hobby has taken us. Just wish I had the funds to do more restorations. 

IMG_5229.JPG

IMG_5230.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Eric,

I recalled seeing this post early last year and enjoying it but now that I am a 1962 F-85 caretaker and you helped me with a couple of parts now, I'm having to reread the post and am finding some very helpful tidbits. Thank you.

Scott

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stude Light said:

Eric,

I recalled seeing this post early last year and enjoying it but now that I am a 1962 F-85 caretaker and you helped me with a couple of parts now, I'm having to reread the post and am finding some very helpful tidbits. Thank you.

Scott

Glad to help. I picked up a couple more parts cars also. A 63 convertible and a 61 f-85 so if you need anything else, I may have it. I will not be able to pull parts for another month or two though.