Wtb 1939-40 wiper towers

Dave avon

21 hours ago, Dave avon said:

Looking for a pair of wiper towers for my 40 Buick special. Numbers on the back are BOP 39 RH & LH. Just bodies or assemblies. NOS or good enough for plating. Thanks, 

Series 40 or 60?  Early 1939 are different to the late 1939 & 1940.

Chevs are same later pattern, but without the groves in the casting.  If not fussy can use those

I know of a 1939 model 41 that has the Chevy wiper transmission. 99.9% of lookers do not know the difference.

Think this is what he used:-->https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/8875/Chevrolet_Windshield_Wiper_Transmission_Original_For_1939_1940_Use_Your_Links_To_Motor.html

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

I would do the ones from Chevs of the 40s. Reasonable price and they look nice when done. My first wiper towers were destroyed by the plater who did not protect the the chain when plating. If you are going to have it plated make sure the plater knows what he is doing. Just a suggestion. 

7 hours ago, kingrudy said:

I would do the ones from Chevs of the 40s. Reasonable price and they look nice when done. My first wiper towers were destroyed by the plater who did not protect the the chain when plating. If you are going to have it plated make sure the plater knows what he is doing. Just a suggestion. 

If you need to plate a set of these, it would be best to disassemble them prior to plating. Assuming that they are similar to the 1937 and 1938 versions, they are fairly easy to disassemble and assemble.  You could send just the parts needing plating to the plater. 

• Like 1

Just now, 1937McBuick said:

I had my 37's done with the chains in them.    I don't claim to know what they do to surfaces to keep the plating from sticking but mine weren't a big glob of chrome.   Although they did need to be cleaned with a pick.  It's like something may have been applied to keep the plating off.   I did get them cleaned up and freely rocking back and forth.   I honestly don't think the chains are supposed to come out without the "spindle" being removed from the tower.   I think there is also two "stops" built onto the inner gear to prevent the chain from being turned off the gear and out of the wiper tower.    

I never had the balls to attempt dismantling it more than removing the arms/linkages from each tower.

In most instances I try to live by the Hippocratic Oath,  "first, do no harm".

Try Dave Tacheny , definitely worth the effort. 

The wiper shafts are press fitted into the pot metal towers. You can disassemble them by using a stack of washers under the wiper shaft and screwing the wiper nut down against them. Once the shaft is loosened it can be removed. There is a felt wick on the shaft which should be cleaned and lubricated before reinstalling the shaft. The tower will function much more smoothly after lubrication.

Thanks

Leif  

• Like 1

The wiper shafts are press fitted into the pot metal towers. You can disassemble them by using a stack of washers under the wiper shaft and screwing the wiper nut down against them. Once the shaft is loosened it can be removed. There is a felt wick on the shaft which should be cleaned and lubricated before reinstalling the shaft. The tower will function much more smoothly after lubrication.

Thanks

Leif