Cylinder head removal 1915 Dodge Brothers

Ray Mahony

• 5 months later...

I know I am late in making this comment.  How to remove the head.  The engine was out of the car and I was dismanteling for o'haul.

I finally removed the bearing shells, then took the piston out through the bottom and bumped the head up from underneath with a lump of 3 x 2.

this moved the hear about a 1/16 of an inch.  I then spent an hour with wedges to carefully move the head.

Hope this may help someone in the future.

Edited by Ray Mahony (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have the same issue with a Hupp 6 engine that has not run for many years and has had water in the bores. I need to figure a way to get the pistons out the bottom and then do the wood trick! 

Saw how one guy removed the flathead head from an old engine. He made 2 eye bolts out of old spark plugs and screwed into the spark plug holes, connecting them with a chain.

Then he put some long  bolts into the engine that stuck out 2 or 3 inches. On these he set a steel plate, making a table that would hold a hydraulic jack.

Then he used the jack to lift the head. Once it was up to the top of the bolts it was easy.

29 Cadillac V8.  The blocks were unbolted from the crankcase pulled from the pistons then the heads were driven off with wood and hammer blows. 
BUT this won’t work on monoblock castings.