Easy starting ‘26

hidden_hunter

Thought this quick video of starting the 1926 might show others what’s possible when the carb is well adjusted and ignition is set properly.

Car is stone cold (only pulled it out in the morning about 10ft) and this was starting it up to put away in the evening

Fresh Non ethanol fuel here in our state which probably makes a huge difference 

Everything is stock (except for a 28 steel distributor) include the vacuum tank and 6v 

Its taken a lot of time to get to this point but the result was worth it and I thought I’d share our experience so others can see what’s possible - I’m sure we’ve all seen “sorted” cars that are hard to start but when these cars were new they clearly weren’t hard to start 

• Like 11

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the video, it gives me hope! I initially saw your post from 2014 where you were trying to solve problem of 1926 Buick hard to put in gear. That's one issue I have, but it's not my car, it was my mate's and I am executor. It only started playing up yesterday, before that it was fine. There is no way I am going to pull the clutch out. The son-in-law last year helped me replace the diff after my mate blew it up. I got a lot of help from this forum and we both got a lesson on how hard it is to work on. Unfortunately my mate never got to drive it. And now it is hard to start and hard to get in gear and hard to sell. I just want to get back to working on my Plymouths - much more conventional engineering.

1 hour ago, westaus29 said:

Thanks for the video, it gives me hope! I initially saw your post from 2014 where you were trying to solve problem of 1926 Buick hard to put in gear. That's one issue I have, but it's not my car, it was my mate's and I am executor. It only started playing up yesterday, before that it was fine. There is no way I am going to pull the clutch out. The son-in-law last year helped me replace the diff after my mate blew it up. I got a lot of help from this forum and we both got a lesson on how hard it is to work on. Unfortunately my mate never got to drive it. And now it is hard to start and hard to get in gear and hard to sell. I just want to get back to working on my Plymouths - much more conventional engineering.

It's possibly something as simple as sticking clutch plates - we pulled ours apart so I can't speak to ways to remedy it within the car but I'm sure others have dealt with it 

A lot of the problems the American's have with starting comes from ethanol fuel which we don't really have here in Victoria (not sure about WA), but the carb jets can pick up crud pretty easily if the cars not run often - I dumped a can of this in ours after it had not been run for a while https://www.liquimoly.com.au/2772-fuel-system-cleaner-conditioner and for what I thought amounted to snake oil seemed to have cleared up the fuel bowl at the very least. 

Most of the things on the car are fairly straight forward, but the manual and alot of the documentation is written in ways that are very confusing if you're not intimately familar already - I found that having general workshop/mechanic guides and then supplemented with the workshop manual was the most helpful to bridge the gap with what we'd expect for a modern car. My Cadillac on the other hand... jeepers 

• Like 1