What are the Best Looking Prewar FOUR-DOOR Sedans? Custom and Production.

alsancle

2 hours ago, West Peterson said:

I believe Sakhoffsky did more to influence exceptional automotive design than any other designer of the period, and probably the least recognizable name to most car enthusiasts.

I remember the first time I saw a photo of his L29 cord and thinking “that is the most beautiful/sexy car I’ve ever seen”

I don’t know if I still have it in the number one spot, but it is top 10 for sure.

5 hours ago, John Bloom said:

I remember the first time I saw a photo of his L29 cord and thinking “that is the most beautiful/sexy car I’ve ever seen”

I don’t know if I still have it in the number one spot, but it is top 10 for sure.

I too remember the first time I saw an L-29 Cord in person and had exactly the same reaction to it. It was a phaeton sedan that had just been finished up and wound up winning a lot of awards in the ACD Club in the early to mid '80s. A well restored car, it remains on display at the ACD Museum. I know it's an open car but still, the lines of this car are among the most beautiful I have ever seen.

IMG_2836.jpeg

Edited by ericmac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ericmac said:

I too remember the first time I saw an L-29 Cord in person and had exactly the same reaction to it. It was a phaeton sedan that had just been finished up and wound up winning a lot of awards in the ACD Club in the early to mid '80s. A well restored car, it remains on display at the ACD Museum. I know it's an open car but still, the lines of this car are among the most beautiful I have ever seen.

IMG_2836.jpeg

Eric, that is a beautiful car. I believe I have seen it at the ACD museum. 

I was speaking about this car specifically and should have included a picture with my comments. 

image.jpeg.3c4c30feb5a51c9ac5ec770f4c9b48a9.jpeg

now, back to sedans. 

• Like 1

Sakhoffsky did a bunch of other work besides cars. He did White trucks and busses, as well as a other commercial work. Maybe we should do a thread with named designers and post photos of their creations. Ralph Roberts is my favorite and not too well known designer. I have owned a half dozen cars he did. Still have on of them………for well over forty years.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Sakhoffsky did a bunch of other work besides cars. He did White trucks and busses, as well as a other commercial work. Maybe we should do a thread with named designers and post photos of their creations. Ralph Roberts is my favorite and not too well known designer. I have owned a half dozen cars he did. Still have on of them………for well over forty years.

Interesting man. 1532FE2E-A644-4A02-AB4C-E9628B43470E.jpeg.4a68754f1d65d364d46e26900b40e574.jpeg747F541B-1D77-44A5-9281-D9B6A58097A9.jpeg.62052b4715a35a66a8860e33b5376131.jpegA3329E1C-065D-4042-B427-2F380CDDA68C.jpeg.66546af6d0f5c6857f852c34bbe1d21d.jpeg7214D2AA-0D8A-45B3-98BD-3EA4A6BB27AF.jpeg.be9f6a46a25296a70373ab5288f1642b.jpegC3CD8441-6854-43D4-B05E-8AE3A2C549B5.jpeg.a97ce15e9c59bfed2cfcb75ee26840db.jpeg

• Like 3

We can start a thread on who was who.   Lebaron was complicated.   The snippets George posted gloss over the "two partners" who were none other than Ray Dietrich and Tom Hibbard.   Perhaps Walt can comment but I thought Roberts was the business guy at Lebaron when he joined.    Dietrich and Hibbard were the design guys.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Bloom said:

Eric, that is a beautiful car. I believe I have seen it at the ACD museum. 

I was speaking about this car specifically and should have included a picture with my comments. 

image.jpeg.3c4c30feb5a51c9ac5ec770f4c9b48a9.jpeg

now, back to sedans. 

Ooo La LA. Yes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

We can start a thread on who was who.   Lebaron was complicated.   The snippets George posted gloss over the "two partners" who were none other than Ray Dietrich and Tom Hibbard.   Perhaps Walt can comment but I thought Roberts was the business guy at Lebaron when he joined.    Dietrich and Hibbard were the design guys.

Ralph did a bunch of stuff on the back side………most of the open Pierce Arrows from 1930-1932. And his style filtered over into the closed cars also. Tom Hibbard is an interesting guy also. I met his grandson last year while driving my White. He asked if it was Rubay while walking up to it. I said yes, and that his grandfather designed it. Lots of fun.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Bohman and Schwartz gets a lot of crap from us but they did screw up and make some nice cars on occasion.  This is a 39 Packard.

https://www.coachbuild.com/forum/download/file.php?id=21803&mode=view

A.J.:

Thanks for posting this 1939 Packard Twelve Sport Sedan by Bohmann and Schwartz, I couldn't find the photos I have filed.  I encountered it at The Packard Experience at the CCCA/Gilmore in 1994.  Having seen photos of their generally heavy-handed and less-than-appealing prior customs, wondered how this Packard came out so nice.  It must have been a good day in the design studio...

Steve

Edited by 58L-Y8
corrected syntax errors (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Or she was married to Abraham Lincoln.

He would have driven a car that was named after him…….Lincoln.

Gee alsuncle, you said "Bohman and Schwartz gets a lot of crap from us but they did screw up and make some nice cars on occasion.  This is a 39 Packard". Man I'm have a hard time liking anything about this frumpy lump. The fake padded top, the horribly integrated side-mounts, the bumper that doesn't relate to anything, the "stick-on" parking lights. the poor fit of front fender to running board...I could go on. Even the wide whites don't help. Likely a very nice car in the flesh, but for looks, not for me.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:58 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

Thanks A.J, I hadn't seen this one.  Extinct but not forgotten.  It will be a forever mystery who the designer was of this progressive masterwork.  Bringing the image into immediacy.

'30 Jordan Speedway Z sportsman sedan - show car.jpg

SOMEWHERE, there is a close-up photo of one of the multi-piece slatted running boards on this car.  Was it on this Forum? Or in a magazine?

Craig

10 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Gee alsuncle, you said "Bohman and Schwartz gets a lot of crap from us but they did screw up and make some nice cars on occasion.  This is a 39 Packard". Man I'm have a hard time liking anything about this frumpy lump. The fake padded top, the horribly integrated side-mounts, the bumper that doesn't relate to anything, the "stick-on" parking lights. the poor fit of front fender to running board...I could go on. Even the wide whites don't help. Likely a very nice car in the flesh, but for looks, not for me.

Taking a second look you are not wrong.  The sidemounts, bumpers, etc are factory Packard.  But the padded top does  look frumpy. I guess I'm comparing to other B&S offerings and thinking it doesn't look too bad.

Part of me hates arm chair quarterbacking 80 years later.   I know B&S was just trying to survive and would take whatever jobs they had to.   The restorer's lament is that they did what the customer wanted,  but the restoration is tagged with their name.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

"Fake padded top"??? It looks like a real padded top to me.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Taking a second look you are not wrong.  The sidemounts, bumpers, etc are factory Packard.  But the padded top does  look frumpy. I guess I'm comparing to other B&S offerings and thinking it doesn't look too bad.

Part of me hates arm chair quarterbacking 80 years later.   I know B&S was just trying to survive and would take whatever jobs they had to.   The restorer's lament is that they did what the customer wanted,  but the restoration is tagged with their name.

There are possibly factory photos of this car, but I'm going to highly doubt it was originally delivered with the truck lights on the front, and I suspect the grille guard was added later, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Duesenberg Model X with Brunn body.  I like it.   The door handles are a Brunn give away.   Ed, who was the manufacturer and did anyone else uses them?

https://www.coachbuild.com/forum/download/file.php?id=25696&sid=4750454ed2fb1feb2ba70ee31a201ed3&mode=view

A company out of Syracuse who's name escapes me. The made stuff with two and three springs in the latch mechanism......which prevents drooping handles and such. Pierce used them on their special bodies from 1929-1934. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

A company out of Syracuse who's name escapes me. The made stuff with two and three springs in the latch mechanism......which prevents drooping handles and such. Pierce used them on their special bodies from 1929-1934. 

And Packard used them on their open 7-passenger touring cars from about 1928-1934

• Like 1

I mentioned earlier the term "fake padded" top (WP said they are real, not fake, LOL), and it's a term I often use to refer to sedans/closed cars where a design decision is made to have them look like a convertible or cabriolet with it's top up (i.e. a fake), by adding a padded material, sometimes even with hints of fake bows etc. Many European convertibles in particular used padded convertible tops (Mercedes for example), likely insulated for all weather driving, and it seems many American designers liked the look of such cars, and thus added  padded tops to create the impression of a convertible. This craze of course became the vogue again in the 60's and 70's, again only as a marketing gimmick.  I've always hated anything fake, whether on a car (padded tops, portholes, non-functional vents etc), a house (fake shutters, fake bricks/stone, fake Greek columns, etc), no matter the make/model/year. Just my preference that "less is more".

• Like 4