What do you know about rebuilding a Chrysler flathead straight 8?

Angelfish

Came with a Saratoga in 1941.

Junkyard has one and wants too much for it ($250).  It's complete less carburetor.  Have to assume it's seized with a cracked block, it's possible that's not the case but we'll start at the worst scenario.  The hood is still in place so it's more or less protected.

No reason, I just always wanted to rebuild a straight 8 and this is the one that presented itself.  I need it like I need a badly stubbed toe.   It would be something interesting to work on and then I'd end up with an engine that weighs as much as a smart car and not have a car to put it in.  The transmission has wandered off on its own somewhere.

But for those you who have done it, just interested in what was noteworthy about the process.   And if you could tell me what it really does weigh. 

Edited by Angelfish (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Any Chrysler straight 8 core engine complete less the carb is easily worth $250.00.

The exhaust manifold alone especially for 1946-50 Chrysler 8's is worth $500.00 - $1000.00.

They can crack and do not repair by welding reliably.

Rebuilding one complete will be very expensive.

Have worked on and owned many inline eight Chryslers🙂

• Like 1

There was some discussion on this point. The Chrysler built sixes (Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler) are among the easiest to build since they are simple, and the parts are easily available since they made so many for cars, trucks, military, industrial engines, marine engines and many are still in service. The straight eights, not so much, and some parts are very hard to find. Like the exhaust manifolds already mentioned and I think water pumps and possibly some other parts. And, from 39 on they all came with Fluid Drive and usually, self shifting transmission. The trans is rugged and reliable, usually easy to fix, but something of a klunker to drive. Whether the manual trans off a six will fit, I am not sure.

If I were going to rebuild a flathead straight eight I think I would look for a post war Packard 288 - 327 - or 359 engine. They came with a 3 speed manual trans or Packard's own 2 speed Ultramatic.

Look at the block low down on the left side. If they are like the six, that is where they will crack if frozen and it will be totally obvious. A long horizontal crack along the bottom of the water jacket. They are patsies for this because you have to drain the block, just draining the radiator is not good enough. Not necessarily the kiss of death it can be fixed with a stitching process but who needs the hassle.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the vast majority of your post, but for what it is worth, if you follow the correct procedures, heat entire part, use the proper welding gas and wire, anyone can reliably weld cast iron.  You know how I know?  Because I am almost completely talentless with a welder, and I did it successfully with many hundreds of heat-cool cycles on my repaired exhaust manifold.  

Honestly, the myth that cast iron cannot be welded reliably is simply that, a myth.  Is there a great deal of anecdotal evidence of failed cast iron welds?  Absolutely… all this means is that there are many welders who know how NOT to weld cast iron.

Check out my thread here:

and search for cast iron welding.  I go over the entire process step by step.

I agree with the rest of your post.  $250 for a complete 8 cylinder chrysler is a great deal assuming that the engine and accessories are not total junk.  Also, just as you stated, the manifolds are worth the price alone, even if the goal is simply to sell them.  Also, just as you state, rebuilding one is expensive as all get-out, even if you do the work yourself.  I rebuilt the top end on mine and still ended up close to three grand down because of valves and valve spring costs, head work, gaskets, etc.

On 1/10/2023 at 2:53 AM, c49er said:

Any Chrysler straight 8 core engine complete less the carb is easily worth $250.00.

The exhaust manifold alone especially for 1946-50 Chrysler 8's is worth $500.00 - $1000.00.

They can crack and do not repair by welding reliably.

Rebuilding one complete will be very expensive.

Have worked on and owned many inline eight Chryslers🙂

On 1/9/2023 at 10:37 PM, Angelfish said:

Came with a Saratoga in 1941.

Junkyard has one and wants too much for it ($250).  It's complete less carburetor.  Have to assume it's seized with a cracked block, it's possible that's not the case but we'll start at the worst scenario.  The hood is still in place so it's more or less protected.

No reason, I just always wanted to rebuild a straight 8 and this is the one that presented itself.  I need it like I need a badly stubbed toe.   It would be something interesting to work on and then I'd end up with an engine that weighs as much as a smart car and not have a car to put it in.  The transmission has wandered off on its own somewhere.

But for those you who have done it, just interested in what was noteworthy about the process.   And if you could tell me what it really does weigh. 

I've got a , what I think is,   an late 40's Olds straight 8, for sale.  Fairly complete.  It sat outside for some time, so its going to need lots of work.  Not looking for very much money.  Located in Pgh. PA

ERIc

Edited by VW4X4 (see edit history)