Motor oil options/preferences for a '63 Riv 401

JanZverina

A big thank you to all ROA members who assisted with my question re oil/air filters. A couple of Wix oil filters appeared on my doorstep this week and a Wix air filter is incoming. My next question is more out of curiosity as to what '63/'64 owners with 401s prefer when it comes to oil type and viscosity.

As technology advances (for the most part), who uses what and why these days as far as oil and possibly any additives?

My Riv, which is about to be a brand new car again - only because its odometer is about to roll over from 99,998 - has under my nine-year ownership always used a good brand of conventional 10W-30 oil as recommended by a local well-regarded independent shop which only services older vehicles. I should also add that like many enthusiasts of older vehicles, I perform routine maintenance by the calendar vs. miles.

Maybe I'm poking at a hornet's nest here, but it's always good to share such info if done in a civil manner. Thanks in advance!

Use 10W30 (I recommend Mobil 1) and with each oil change add

a bottle of ZDDP to give your oil the zinc additive to protect the flat

tappet camshaft from wear. The zinc was removed from modern oils

because it damaged  emission controls on late model cars. Mobil 1 is an amazing

product......since I started using it shortly after it came out I've never had any

sort of internal mechanical failure on any of my car's engines, even after running

some of them 350,000 miles. When I used to use conventional oil my engines would

have an internal failure usually between 100,000-150,000 miles.

I agree with Winston on his choice of Mobil 1, but I’m against additives. You can find a Mobil 1 sysnthetic that has the minimum PPM (parts per million) of zinc and phosphate in the oil. If that engine is approaching 100K, you can probably run a higher viscosity.  IMHO.

1 hour ago, joelj said:

I started using Valvoline VR1 in the last few years. It looks like a pretty good option.20230106_181820.jpg.0c92e0310acdb001a0526654d43d6d22.jpg20230106_181831.jpg.f461eb792d10df12c4b2e7cac9d973a6.jpg

From the description on the back, this looks good.  If I may ask, how many miles on your engine and do you know what kind of pressure your engine is producing using the 10W-30? 

Addendum: I just looked at the specs on the VR1 oils. Both the 10W-30 and the 20W-50 viscosities have 1400 ppm of zinc and 1300 ppm of phosphate.  More than adequate for the nailhead without the use of an additive. 

Edited by RivNut
Addendum (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, RivNut said:

From the description on the back, this looks good.  If I may ask, how many miles on your engine and do you know what kind of pressure your engine is producing using the 10W-30? 

Addendum: I just looked at the specs on the VR1 oils. Both the 10W-30 and the 20W-50 viscosities have 1400 ppm of zinc and 1300 ppm of phosphate.  More than adequate for the nailhead without the use of an additive. 

Thanks for bringing up the oil pressure check. This is something I am adding to my to do list for the spring. One of my cars is a 64 Riviera with 85k miles. I have owned it since 2014. It runs fine but it still can't hurt to know more about it.

Some people use diesel oil because of higher levels of zddp.

Hot Rod magazine had a article on diesel oil in gas engines. 

It said the zddp in diesel oil is for lower rpm engines and is different from the zddp in oils for gas engines that see higher rpms.

Use the right oil.

Kevin 

My 1963 is ready to turn 86,000 miles on the odometer. This last year I would occasionally get the oil light coming on when idling in gear. It doesn't happen all the time and it would happen after a long stretch of driving when everything was good and hot. I talked this over with Tom T. and he told me that this was a sign that my engine is starting to show a little wear. He suggested to me to switch to a 20W-50 oil. I did this and I have not experienced this problem since. A couple of years ago I had switched to Lucas Classic and Hot Rod Oil. I was using their 10W-30 and then switched to their 20W-50. Both weights have a zinc content of 2100 ppm. I am very happy with their oil. I also like the fact that I can get this oil at several of the chain auto parts stores and on Amazon.

Bill

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kegart said:

Some people use diesel oil because of higher levels of zddp.

Hot Rod magazine had a article on diesel oil in gas engines. 

It said the zddp in diesel oil is for lower rpm engines and is different from the zddp in oils for gas engines that see higher rpms.

Use the right oil.

Kevin 

Kevin, can you point me to that article? I'd like to read it.

Thanks!

I read the article.  It’s got some very relative information in. The basis of the article is not which brand, but what are the requirements of the engine. You as the driver/owner are the only one who can answer those questions. The article did state 1) that diesel oils are designed for low rpm applications, and 2) too much ZZDP can be just as bad or worse.

Thanks again, everyone, for your responses and expertise. It makes sense for me to go with a 20W-50 at this point so I'll try the Lucas Classic. I've been using 20W-50 in my E-type forever, but Castrol. Mentioning 'Lucas' seems to make some older Jag owners still shudder  but life goes on.