Dietrich Individual Customs - 32/33/34

packard12man

14 hours ago, V16 said:

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

IMG_3664.JPG

I mean no disrespect to the car or owners of these magnificent automobiles, but I love to see pictures from say the 50's which showed the then current state of these cars. Such a sad ending to a significant part of auto history. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I mean no disrespect to the car or owners of these magnificent automobiles, but I love to see pictures from say the 50's which showed the then current state of these cars. Such a sad ending to a significant part of auto history. 

Fear not.  That car was restored.   Another good thread idea.  Derelict in the 50s and restored today...

Slight thread diversion, but the chrome jewel of that thread would be the round door rolls.

Driving Mrs. Dillman: The Tale of the Round Door Rolls-Royce | The Truth  About Cars

• Like 6

A few years ago, the Hussey Packard was on tour with us………yes, some people still drive them. Here are a few of the cars……..and the J parked in the sand.

94911F80-4BC5-4BAC-83AB-688E461316FC.jpeg

300C838C-96C8-4CBD-8D5C-D7591FF88723.jpeg

D2FB62F6-E17E-440D-AB16-F56E8790B1A5.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CD9591 said:

The Hussey car a good runner ?

No, it's a great runner............amazing car. They had the top down on it one day...............

• Like 3

At least it’s well done and accurate to the originals. While tempting, I just can’t get my hear around a repop. I won’t even service them, on the theory that once you get your hands dirty with fake cars……..you can never get clean again. With the top down they are absolutely stunning. Seeing the Hussy car driving on the open roads of Cape Cod was  just a joyful experience. A few years ago I found an unknown photo of the car with the original owner taken in the 40’s at a gas station…………it was fun to give it to the current owner having been on the receiving end of so much generosity to the club and my family over the years. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I posted this in the period Images/photos section but since we are mentioning  these 1934 custom Packards this is the sport coupe in the Bahre collection when owned by the original owner Mr. Davidoff of Roslyn Heights, NY on long Island. John Linhardt became the owner caretaker as he bought it from Mr. Davidoff. the photo here was taken in 1950 .Mr. Davidoff owned a jewelry store in Queens, NY. about 5 miles west of his home.

PackardLeBaroncoupe1934in1950001.jpg

• Like 3

What year is that ad? obviously it's the car on the West coast............only three to choose from, and only two have side mounts. Of the two side mounted cars, one has a chrome belt line from the factory, the other does not.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

alsuncle wrote "Sorry, not a Dietrich, but a Lebaron with replica coachwork.  But the price is about 10 cents on the dollar" .Stunning reproduction, the fit and finish likely as good or better than original cars. If I had $1/2 M to spend on a spectacular car, this might be a perfect choice. Like many on here, I struggle to understand how people with large amounts of cash to spend, decide how to spend their money on cars with the choice between (1) some thing fully original, rare and undrivable (and spend $5M), (2) something not so rare but drivable, (3) something as a stash for your money (investment or parking spot), (4) something to show the world versus (5) something to show the car snobs, (6) something for bragging rights, (7) something you just love the look of, (8) something that just seems to be the right car at the right price at the right time. I never question anyone's choice or right to choose, and this stunning Packard is just that, stunning. Cannot imagine anyone suggesting it is not worthy of their time.   

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CD9591 said:

Amazing that Fred Hussey bought the phaeton new and kept it all those years and in the condition its in, not much has ever been written about the car to my knowledge.

When you have a fantastic car, keeping it off the radar is the smart move..........

• Like 1

I'm just surprised that even in the late 50's not much was said about it in The Classic Car etc., you would think it would have been a big deal even then, original owner of a machine of that caliber & condition, unless of course Mr. Hussey downplayed it. 

Here's a Packard memo that states that you could order a 34 Dietrich with a Super 8 motor.  Although if they ever built one it is pure conjecture, but Ed Blend did say in his book that reputedly 2 Sport Sedans were built.  

133195048_ScreenShot2020-12-24at12_03_44PM.png.5d7ef9d8868cc62686f8efa0e6721ab0.png

Edited by packard12man (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 12:55 PM, CD9591 said:

I'm just surprised that even in the late 50's not much was said about it in The Classic Car etc., you would think it would have been a big deal even then, original owner of a machine of that caliber & condition, unless of course Mr. Hussey downplayed it. 

It was on the cover of the Spring 1960 CCCA magazine.   This is the only time in 70 years an engine compartment has been on the cover of The Classic Car.  The club was a lot different back then.  A lot, no most, really desirable cars were owned by average people.  Teachers, tradesmen, truck drivers and the like.  It wasn’t like today where 75% of the really desirable cars are in mega collections.   And not everyone, then and today, is on an ego trip and wants their name all over the place.  

9AF0BAFB-A362-4A9E-B246-E1B5D261B53E.jpeg

49634C65-6D93-4087-9C05-B885FCAC4C89.jpeg

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I have that magazine, just amazing the original owner still had a car of that type in that condition especially having driven it 59K miles. He couldn't have been an "average" person to have been able to purchase it in 1934, but I agree those were simpler times. It also seems the car wasn't shown much after that time.  

On 1/28/2023 at 8:07 AM, Gunsmoke said:

alsuncle wrote "Sorry, not a Dietrich, but a Lebaron with replica coachwork.  But the price is about 10 cents on the dollar" .Stunning reproduction, the fit and finish likely as good or better than original cars. If I had $1/2 M to spend on a spectacular car, this might be a perfect choice. Like many on here, I struggle to understand how people with large amounts of cash to spend, decide how to spend their money on cars with the choice between (1) some thing fully original, rare and undrivable (and spend $5M), (2) something not so rare but drivable, (3) something as a stash for your money (investment or parking spot), (4) something to show the world versus (5) something to show the car snobs, (6) something for bragging rights, (7) something you just love the look of, (8) something that just seems to be the right car at the right price at the right time. I never question anyone's choice or right to choose, and this stunning Packard is just that, stunning. Cannot imagine anyone suggesting it is not worthy of their time.   

I certainly respect that, and it makes a lot of sense.  Although I had sort of mixed views when I saw that car  at the RM auction in 2015.  It's insanely beautiful, just a work of art to behold.  But LeBarons are so rare that the non-standard parts of it looked sort of out of place; knowing it was a reproduction body, it just didn't feel right.  All just a matter of taste, but it were up to me, I'd rather have a standard-body '34 12 coupe-roadster with a good known history. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

I certainly respect that, and it makes a lot of sense.  Although I had sort of mixed views when I saw that car  at the RM auction in 2015.  It's insanely beautiful, just a work of art to behold.  But LeBarons are so rare that the non-standard parts of it looked sort of out of place; knowing it was a reproduction body, it just didn't feel right.  All just a matter of taste, but it were up to me, I'd rather have a standard-body '34 12 coupe-roadster with a good known history. 

If I had a gun to my head, I would say a production bodied, coupe roadster with great provenance, would probably bring more money if the conditions were equal.

• Like 1

Ever since I sent him a photo of me in the speedo……….he won’t answer my calls anymore.

Actually I spoke to him last week. I have never inquired why he isn’t active here anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He is on the forum here and there.  No issue, he is on Packard, fb sites mainly.  I think he is just going where contacts/customers are boys.  Hoping the "tag" alerts him to this thread.

I have to order the Detroit Steel Artists book after reading AJ's review on it.  Love the Gubitz references here, did not know he worked for Dietrich at one time.  

• Like 1

Looking for opinions on what I consider to be the Holy Grail.  It's a car that you have to study in person to absorb all the details.  Some details - The way the leading edge of the running board melds into the trailing edge of the front fenders.  No side mounts which accentuates the curvature  of the hood vents.  The pontoon fenders while being close to the other LeBarons are not identical (at least the front ones).  The fender crown is slightly more pronounced and the pointed bead at the front gives it a more finished look.  Also the pontoon fenders with no side mounts and the blind quarter Victoria body style make the car look like it's a mile long.  The only Dietrich delivered with vent windows.  A neat engineering trick - when you wind down the side window there is a little click and then you can wind down the vent window.  The colour is a perfect suit for the car but I often wonder if it is an authentic 34 colour.  Generally the fully chromed rad shell and shutters are a distraction on a Dietrich but somehow it suits this car perfect.  Hard to believe this special didn't warrant factory photos on the Packard turntable.  Of all the Dietrich's this one may have the most interesting background.  Can you imagine driving down the boulevard in the middle of the great depression amongst a sea of Fords and Plymouth's!!   As much as I like the car no rear mounts or just one would be an improvement.  When I look at the first photo with the ocean background I can't help but think of Cruella Deville.   My secretary (wife) is getting a little cheesed off - so that's enough for today.

More photos to follow;

1664033655_ScreenShot2015-09-26at9_16.18AMcopy.png.b2926ada8a2a3ac867c0539021f6f524.png1964141900_ScreenShot2014-04-05at9_10_58AM.png.9cd0b99e130180cdb352cc9d58a208a0.png934643525_ScreenShot2017-11-29at8_39_40AM.png.fe3342bb8045da7694b76f955e8209d0.png

Edited by packard12man (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Packard12man..........I would argue it's no where near the grail for a Packard.........my reasons why, I will not publish in the open. It's a great car. But the real question is "does it check all the boxes", well that depends on your list of boxes. Without question it is very special. I have no clue where it ended up. It it public knowledge as to it's current whereabouts?

• Like 2