1931 Cadillac V-12

rb6673

Is there anyone that is a good source for carburetor parts.

the Johnson carbs are such chronic problems to the point I can’t enjoy driving them.

looking for brass float single pivot conversions with grosejets

also looking for trunk hold down brackets and possibly a reproduction of fuel shut-off valve housing under vacuum tank 

Edited by rb6673 (see edit history)

Check with Scott Henningsen at Henningsen Machine shop Salinas ca. He has built over a hundred of these carbs with all new parts and sometimes he is able to use some parts from the cars original carb to save some money. He will also sell individual parts .  I am sure you have read on these forum threads that these carburetors have issues because of some design flaws plus age warping . I believe Ed once said that you might be able to pour gas in the manifold with a leaky cowboy boot and the car might run better than using original carburetors ( maybe not a word for word exact quote) but I am probably not telling you something that you don’t already know,

• Like 1

The 8’s and 12’s are basically the same thing but different. If you make the 8’s run well and are having 12 issues look at the ignition. I only run brass floats and grose jets…….and almost impossible to find them now. Our two 16’s have them and work great. Are you running the vacuum tank? Electric fuel pumps on any pre 1932 Caddy is a very bad idea and impossible to get it to run correctly.

If I ever meet Mr Johnson of Cadillac carburetor fame, I’m gonna punch him in the face……multiple times. 

For the sensors…….he’s been dead for over 90 years.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

The 8’s and 12’s are basically the same thing but different. If you make the 8’s run well and are having 12 issues look at the ignition. I only run brass floats and grose jets…….and almost impossible to find them now. Our two 16’s have them and work great. Are you running the vacuum tank? Electric fuel pumps on any pre 1932 Caddy is a very bad idea and impossible to get it to run correctly.

If I ever meet Mr Johnson of Cadillac carburetor fame, I’m gonna punch him in the face……multiple times. 

For the sensors…….he’s been dead for over 90 years.

Ed, After St. Peter gets you checked in be on the lookout for Mr. Johnson. 

• Haha 2

I was hoping to talk to you because I have read some of the old post of yours.

I would sure like to try the brass floats with a single pivot and definitely to try a gross jet.

no I am not using an electric pump.

my vacuum tank works very well. I owned a restoration shop for 35 years before I retired so long ago knew that there seems to be no way to regulate the fuel pressure versus volume properly.

Sure do miss Mr Selick

is anyone reproducing the housing that the fuel bowl/cutoff valves are in ?

will the Detroit lubricator easily retro fit ?

Edited by rb6673 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

He appears to have been inspired by a toilet when designing his carburetors 

A poorly designed one.......

• Haha 1

Ed - I truly believe you are the first that I have ever heard to praise the gross-jets!

I wish I had known you liked them. We bought out a shop that used them, and for some reason, discontinued business, several years ago.

We recycled several hundred of them (wish I still had them, scrap brass is worth a lot more now than it was then!).

Jon

I’m guessing I have more than 25k miles on them in my 1931 Cadillac’s. As long as the system is clean, they have given me good service. With the brass float they seal ten times better than the factory cork float and crummy double action hinge. When your polishing a turd…….you gotta use your best effort! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1