Where/how do you store your collection?

JDuguid

I’m interested to hear how/where you store your cars. Do you have more than two cars? If so, how do you make that work?

I’m in Florida, which means there is no basement and not all storage can survive in the attic during the summer. The garage is wider than normal to accommodate rack shelving and work benches on the sides along with the HVAC and water heater. With the typical garage stuff, kids bikes, and randomness that accumulates temporarily, the garage is always shrinking.

I’ve got a 1931 American Austin roadster project, which only fills half of one bay. The other spot is for a 1917 Buick touring coming home in the spring, but I’m desperately trying to figure out how to make room for at least one more car…

Our lots aren’t large enough for another garage and we can’t have a shed or other out building.

Do all collectors live further out of the city where you have enough land to build a large garage behind the house? Did you buy for the garage or for the potential of a big garage?

Do you have cars in a local storage facility? How does that work for you? What is an average rent/lease? How do you justify the expense?

Have you sought out friends or neighbors to borrow some of their underutilized garage space? Do you pay for this arrangement or barter?

Have you leased space elsewhere, like in a commercial park or smaller private warehouse type space? What does that lease look like?

How else do you/can you make this work?

How do YOU store your car collection?

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to shed some light on this topic!

Welcome to the problem all Florida collectors have.........storage is expensive. It's 600 per month for a garage in my neighborhood..........and you can't find them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I collect mostly small cars so I have 4 cars/trucks and a tractor in my shop with room to work on them all. If you bought another American Austin,  Bantam or a Crosley you could fit another car in your existing garage.

I bought a house on 7 acres with an existing unfinished 28 by 50 Garage.  I finished that,  Sold my old shop,  then built a 60 by 72 foot garage on the new property.  The small garage is now finished and heated.  The big shell is done on the outside,  but still needs all the finishing work inside.  Some day down the road. 

All the nice finished cars go in the small heated and dehumidified garage,  all the equipment and the occasional overflow goes in the big garage.  It's basically the same as a barn,  just looks a little more refined. 

Last two years we added 21 acres in 2 separate purchases,  so maybe I'll have funds to work on the big garage next year. 

That was the main criteria of our new house,  was it had to have an existing large garage/shop or enough room to build one. 

IMG_5406.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

• Like 12

1 is in the garage and the other is in storage offsite. It's unheated and about $135/month. The place I used to use raised rent a lot from $119 to $250. Heated is $375 or so. The rest of the garage is temporarily filled with bathroom fixtures and tile. Maybe by February it will be cleared out. Maybe.

Edited by Golden73 (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

We bought a storage facility.

Kind of a retirement "job", but it gives me a place to put the cars, etc...

Can I ask how many hours a month a job like that requires? Something I'm considering for the future, although I'd probably just use the facility as an excuse to buy more cars.

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2022 at 5:50 PM, Golden73 said:

Can I ask how many hours a month a job like that requires? Something I'm considering for the future, although I'd probably just use the facility as an excuse to buy more cars.

@Larry Schramm I’d also be interested in hearing how your side hustle works and if the benefits out weigh the work. It’s a great idea.

Thanks for coming contributing to the conversation.

Edited by JDuguid (see edit history)

On 12/27/2022 at 5:47 PM, Golden73 said:

1 is in the garage and the other is in storage offsite. It's unheated and about $135/month. The place I used to use raised rent a lot from $119 to $250. Heated is $375 or so. The rest of the garage is temporarily filled with bathroom fixtures and tile. Maybe by February it will be cleared out. Maybe.

@Golden73 I’ve explored this idea locally and the costs were similar. Is your storage an individual unit, or warehouse style specifically for cars/boats/RVs? Do you/can you rotate the cars and keep each home for a while then switch? Is this a short or long term plan for you? Thanks for coming contributing to the conversation.

There is a place within two miles from my home that offers both, assuming both cars could fit in the individual unit. The warehouse is priced per square foot but will not allow a switch without essentially ending/starting a new agreement. I guess there is some sense to that.

On 12/27/2022 at 4:07 PM, Jim Bollman said:

I collect mostly small cars so I have 4 cars/trucks and a tractor in my shop with room to work on them all. If you bought another American Austin,  Bantam or a Crosley you could fit another car in your existing garage.

That’s an interesting approach @Jim Bollman. The Austin was previously my grandfather’s and he always had it stored next to two Lincolns ‘59 and ‘78, both were wall to wall, it was comical, essentially the same depth as the Lincoln’s trunk. 

On 12/27/2022 at 5:32 PM, auburnseeker said:

I bought a house on 7 acres with an existing unfinished 28 by 50 Garage.  I finished that,  Sold my old shop,  then built a 60 by 72 foot garage on the new property.  The small garage is now finished and heated.  The big shell is done on the outside,  but still needs all the finishing work inside.  Some day down the road. 

All the nice finished cars go in the small heated and dehumidified garage,  all the equipment and the occasional overflow goes in the big garage.  It's basically the same as a barn,  just looks a little more refined. 

Last two years we added 21 acres in 2 separate purchases,  so maybe I'll have funds to work on the big garage next year. 

That was the main criteria of our new house,  was it had to have an existing large garage/shop or enough room to build one. 

IMG_5406.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

@auburnseeker Both are very nice! What state are you in? Sounds like a great plan well executed! Thank you for contributing. 

Be very careful about not getting too much space - empty floor space has the same issue as an empty shelf, it doesn't stay empty for long!   In 6 years this building went from nice open space like in my avatar to the second picture.  Buried in there now are about a dozen vehicles.  Now I'm working backwards to get the open space again.  Ed can give you much more advice for Florida weather but here in southern Ontario, Canada, I run a dehumidifier year round set to about 50 % humidity and I keep the doors closed other than to move cars in or out.  Shop stays fairly cool for most of the summer months (90 degree days and high humidity) Keeping the doors down keeps the humidity out for the most part which is also important for any wood in the cars.  

DSC_0822.JPG

DSC_0839.JPG

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My dad had his cars stashed everywhere when I was a kid.  His Caribbean was in his mom's barn.   His 540K was in his Aunt's garage.   One of his Packards was in a rented stall the next town over.  Some of the cars were in a general storage building.    The 4 car garage at home held 3 cars so he could work on one.    Finally tore that down and built a 6 plus car garage in his 70s.

I seem to be on the same trajectory.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, alsancle said:

My dad had his cars stashed everywhere when I was a kid.

Yup we did the same thing.  Old ladies house down the road then eventually both old ladies houses across the street.  Other neighbors garage when they were away for the winter.  Most was done as a work share deal.  I use the garage and mow the lawn,  shovel the roof in the winter. 

Sure was nice when I finally owned all the places they were stored.  Though that was still 2 places in one town and a house 60 miles away.  Now it's all on one property.  Sure makes it nice.  Especially since once,  one of the places sold out from under us,  and we had to empty it in 24 hours.   Of course that one we not only had cars but parts also stored in.  

3 hours ago, 3macboys said:

Be very careful about not getting too much space - empty floor space has the same issue as an empty shelf, it doesn't stay empty for long!   In 6 years this building went from nice open space like in my avatar to the second picture.  Buried in there now are about a dozen vehicles.  Now I'm working backwards to get the open space again.  Ed can give you much more advice for Florida weather but here in southern Ontario, Canada, I run a dehumidifier year round set to about 50 % humidity and I keep the doors closed other than to move cars in or out.  Shop stays fairly cool for most of the summer months (90 degree days and high humidity) Keeping the doors down keeps the humidity out for the most part which is also important for any wood in the cars.  

DSC_0822.JPG

DSC_0839.JPG

Very cool @3macboys!  You’re right about the space filling quickly. I think I’m pretty good at moderating that, but with the garage at home, everyone else sees the garage as a catch all for anything and everything!

I’m assuming this was an existing commercial building you purchased as is? It’s nice that it has great curb appeal with character and doesn’t just look like a warehouse. Thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I use the garage and mow the lawn,  shovel the roof in the winter.

This may be the method I need to look into with some neighbors…

3 minutes ago, JDuguid said:

I’m assuming this was an existing commercial building you purchased as is?

Yes it is, the building was built in 1952 and we purchased it from the original dealer's son who had continued the dealership until 2000 when Chrysler began to squeeze out the small town dealers.  That son is now 81 and still has a key to the building and we store his boat in the winter.  Really good guy - hand shake deal on the signage was that he would leave it but if we ever took it down the signs would go to his daughter, needless to say they are staying put.

12 minutes ago, JDuguid said:

This may be the method I need to look into with some neighbors…

I found the neighbors like the reliable help.  Also changed lightbulbs.  Stuff like that.  They liked having someone they could call on for little stuff.  You just need to find one with a spare garage stall.  Be sure they either don't drive or can't hit your car though.   The term park by feel got it's name for a reason.  With alot of newer garages there is one big door.  Many older garages seemed to have separate doors and even posts inside between the bays. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JDuguid said:

@Golden73 I’ve explored this idea locally and the costs were similar. Is your storage an individual unit, or warehouse style specifically for cars/boats/RVs? Do you/can you rotate the cars and keep each home for a while then switch? Is this a short or long term plan for you? Thanks for coming contributing to the conversation.

There is a place within two miles from my home that offers both, assuming both cars could fit in the individual unit. The warehouse is priced per square foot but will not allow a switch without essentially ending/starting a new agreement. I guess there is some sense to that.

It's an individual unit in a brand new facility, 15 miles away. Had to go there because very few places fitting my space needs (10 x 20). Surprisingly, available vehicle spaces are a rarity around here, although there's this place https://www.irongatemotorcondos.com/ but a 20 x 20 is $150,000 with a small loft area when I inquired. I've been trying to find a warehouse style condo (about 1200 sf) but none are available lately. There are some warehouse spaces open, but prices are not much better, and the access is by appointment, or they're very dirty, or both.

Randy, it’s amazing what one can achieve by working 90 hours a week sacrificing for your family and still gaining on your hobby. Your so old school you should have been born 200 years ago. Getting ahead is simple……….work your ass off and shut up and keep going. Whining is for losers, the grind is for winners. And you WILL win. Your accomplishments impress  me. All you do is work like an assxole………and keep going. It reminds me of my old man. Keep up the good fight. 👍👍👍

• Like 4

I appreciate the kind words Ed,  but there are guys that work alot harder than me.  I just try to do the best I can and know nothing will get done if I don't do it myself.  Unfortunately I'm not in the position to hire the work out.  

Now convincing the wife that we need to buy that next piece of equipment or do that next major project is more of the challenge.   I get the look every time.

Of course she always has some doubt until the project really comes together.  

She and her mother doubted the pond project while I was digging in the dirt with not a lick of water to be seen.  

Then her Mother saw a picture of the "finished" pond overflowing and said she won't doubt me again.  LOL

I guess I should take it as a compliment from the wife when she says I never do anything small or half assed.   She still says the big garage is a super walmart.    She also thought the pond was way too big until we started skating on it.  Now it's just right.  

• Like 4

On 12/27/2022 at 5:25 AM, JDuguid said:

I’m interested to hear how/where you store your cars. Do you have more than two cars? If so, how do you make that work?

How else do you/can you make this work?

How do YOU store your car collection?

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to shed some light on this topic!

For such a simple straighforward question, this is the definition of opening a can of worms.  

location, weather, zoning, real estate prices, relationship with neighbors, property taxes, fitting into your long-term life plans (retire to where??).......I spend some amount of time every day thinking about this issue, and I don't know if I am any closer to a firm solution. 

The garage on my property is actually a large garage (detached) with an addition off the back that a previous owner built.  With it empty and maximizing spots, I could probably put 8-9 cars in it.  Because of junk (yard tools, tractor, snowblower, son built a gym in it, memorabilia, bikes, motorcycles), I've had 5 cars and a boat in it.  My wife's fancy SUV sits outside all winter (If I go missing or die suddenly with no obvious cause of death.......she may have exacted her revenge).  

I live in Northern Illinois.  It was 10 below zero last Friday.  I keep the heat set on 50 degrees in the colder months.  I run a dehumidifier year round.  I have mouse traps (there is a discussion on this somewhere on the AACA forum).  I usually catch a couple mice in the fall as they look to move inside and then it stays pest free.  I own some cars myself and have a buddy (lives across the street) who I own some cars jointly with......he is crazier than me.  He built their home about 10 years ago.  He applied for a variance to build a large (10-12 car) detached garage, tudor style to match their home.  The neighbors showed up at his "variance hearing" with their lawyers to block it... causing him to scale back the size.   Property values are high around me, and property taxes are about the highest in the country.   I have all kinds of schemes/ideas in my head on this subject.  We aren't staying here when we retire.    We own property in Indiana, and that may play into our long term plans.   My car trailer has been stored at a buddies corporate building close by for twelve years until it was stolen last month....... 

My advice to some if it is feasible for your area.  If there is country/rural/farmland near you and it is in a safe area, approach the farmer and see if you can buy an acre or two from him.  to get them to cut you loose a small area, prepare to over pay a little for the ground (if farmland is 10K an acre, you might have to offer a 50% premium to get them to sell.  Assuming it is zoned as farmland (and taxed accordingly), buy an acre and put 20 apple trees, or 20 orange trees, and enjoy your minifarm that still qualifies as zoned farmland (local municipalities may have minimal acreage for something like this), and now that you are a farmer, you need a barn for your farm, say 60 x 80....for your tractor........

another idea I've had is out in rural areas I'll see a tired small older home on a couple acres out in farm areas.  sometimes it could make sense to buy it and put your building "barn" on the ground.  maybe renting the house out can offset some costs.....this scenario means a well, septic, and utilities are already on the property.  

I have other ideas I kick around, but some of them might land me in jail or force me to hire an attorney.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Where I want to store my cars:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1290-Pell-Rd_Osteen_FL_32764_M64021-76183

Photo of property at 1290 Pell Rd, Osteen, FL 32764

Where I actually store my cars:

IMG_7374.JPG

AJ, I think you need to find a 5 acre farm parcel close by for your goat farm. Complete with 8000 square-foot barn for your four goats.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I don't want to disparage Massachusetts too much until I'm long gone.

Let it rip, and then get a Headstart as they chase you across the state line with pitchforks.

in all seriousness back to the original post. This is an enormous topic and rather than being a thread on our forum, it could be a forum unto itself. There’s some immense knowledge, suggestions, ideas, photo galleries on other sites specifically about this issue.  I am always amazed at the ingenuity and creativity I see from others who wrestle with this same dilemma.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Let it rip, and then get a Headstart as they chase you across the state line with pitchforks.

in all seriousness back to the original post. This is an enormous topic and rather than being a thread on our forum, it could be a forum unto itself. There’s some immense knowledge, suggestions, ideas, photo galleries on other sites specifically about this issue.  I am always amazed at the ingenuity and creativity I see from others who wrestle with this same dilemma.

It is an entire forum.  Kill a few days browsing around here:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @John Bloom and @alsancle for chiming in. You’re right, this is a can of worms. I’ll check out the link to the other forum. I just know this crowd is unique and creative and wanted to gain some insight from others in the same bind. Thanks all!

• Like 1

One of the toughest things I found was translating measurements into actual usable space and how it would all work out when built.  I actually took a scale model of one of my cars that I could measure to be sure of actual size,  then steered it around in a box I laid out to scale.  It let me see if the space I had planned was big enough to actually maneuver cars around the way I wanted.  I planned for a single large garage door rather than multiple smaller doors.  Not only because of the cost of nice doors but also they are the weakest part of the equation when trying to make the building easy to heat or cool. 

I'm happy with the size I chose.  I was also limited in size because if the trusses were a foot longer we might not have gotten them up the driveway.   This was crucial as I really wanted a clear span building. 

Lots of ideas on the garage site and around the web,  but hard to get much information on actual usable space and how that translates to your personal collection.  

• Like 3

Self employment has many perks,  especially along the lines of taxes and deductions.  I probably wouldn't have nearly as much as I do if I wasn't self employed.  

Not a tough choice to buy more equipment,  build a bigger building (though the building write off isn't nearly as good as the equipment)   OR pay more taxes.

Now if I could just figure out how to write off the actual old cars,  that would be icing on the cake. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Checkout CarProperty.com for opportunities when you're looking to sell or buy Houses with Big Garages, Motorsport & Race Track Real Estate and Commercial automotive use properties, plus other categories. It's a site that I use regularly and provides unique information and access to places I would not otherwise be able to find. Just saying, it's worth using .. enjoy.

Edited by CarGuyUSA (see edit history)

On 12/30/2022 at 4:26 PM, auburnseeker said:

Now if I could just figure out how to write off the actual old cars,  that would be icing on the cake. 

Use them as actual delivery vehicles?

A test bed for new products and procedures?

Register and use them in TV and Movie productions,

For hire in parades and weddings?

Maybe not do any of these, but just enjoy them?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...