1928-29 Chrysler Vibrating Circuit Breaker

leomara

This is displayed as a part of the 1928 Chrysler wiring circuit.  It is mounted under the dash.  The unit displays continuity but I'm at a loss as to where it mounts (note the two holes) and if it will do the job it was designed for without causing a fire hazard.  Can anyone provide some information please?

100_3651.JPG

100_3652.JPG

I believe one circuit breaker is for lighting and the other ignition. There would be a connection for the switch for both circuits.

My car has only a circuit breaker for the lights on the DELCO combination switch for my 1925 Buicks.

DSC00775.JPG.b57e18aa976941da61107631fb6d21fa.JPG

Overcurrent causes the selenoid plunger to move up to open the contacts on top .

• Like 1

In a earlier thread this year (I don't remember whose Dodge Brothers it was for), a wiring diagram was posted. It added a lot of clarity. The way things were laid out, replacing with fuses did not look practical without wiring changes. Modern thermal circuit breakers would probably be OK.

As for the double vibrating breaker in the picture, it looks pretty bad, but I'll bet it could be cleaned up enough to work. If it were my car, I'd make that thing work. I'm pretty sure it's possible. Just pay attention to current paths through it. Follow the current through the device. There could be some riveted connections that might require solder to become electrically solid again. Of course the points would need to be clean.

• Like 1

Hi Leo 

here is a couple of pics from my 72 it is mounted with machine screws on the inside of the fire wall. The fire wall insulation is behind it if that makes sense. The screws come through just left of the oil filter. On the matter of it causing a fire I have no idea. I guess I would follow the advice bloo gave.A4DBF788-68D5-4885-9803-B6279E78BC31.jpeg.e029c200ad103afbf259b701a6f2dc66.jpegDE8AA23B-34FF-47DF-B7B6-C676CB21885F.jpeg.c18b6b3ee2b0501688ca7aa8f223cb12.jpeg

• Like 2

OK, thanks to Vintageben we know where it mounts on the firewall.  As you can tell by the photo the unit is a tad old and a bit rusted.  Can someone please explain how restore functionality (if possible) to the unit so it does not become a fire hazard.

100_3651.JPG

EmTee says toss it into Evaporust for a cleaning.  JFranklin says clean but with what?  Its very rusty and I could not unscrew any of the wiring contact points.  Can someone explain how to test this after cleaning in basic terms.  I'm electrically challenged.....

Well, I am not saying that it can be 'rebuilt' by a bath in Evaporust!  Rather, after the bath, you may be able to better determine whether it is indeed salvageable...

If it comes out in decent shape, you may be able to clean the contacts, check the integrity of the electrical paths with an Ohm meter and give it a try.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

Well, I am not saying that it can be 'rebuilt' by a bath in Evaporust!  Rather, after the bath, you may be able to better determine whether it is indeed salvageable...

If it comes out in decent shape, you may be able to clean the contacts, check the integrity of the electrical paths with an Ohm meter and give it a try.

If it is truely not salvageable substitute a fuse hidden somewhere. 

• 5 months later...

I'm picking this post back up because when I rewire my 1928 Model 72 with a new harness from one of the 2 prominent manufactures I need to eliminate this antique and either replace it with some equivalent (?) or not replace it at all.  Please advise in basic layman's terms because I am electrically challenged.  

I am at a loss to see why it has been called a "circuit breaker" as it looks like a couple of relays to me. Surely if that's what they are then any modern automotive relay can be adapted to fit?

I believe it's only purpose was to vibrate (make a buzzing noise) if something they were wired with was shorted out creating an excessive load.  Not really a fuse or breaker but just a warning device.

They are circuit breakers. Too much current pulls open the contacts, which stops the current, the contacts re-close, too much current opens the contacts, etc. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

It's really a lot like the thermal breakers used in more modern cars, except it is magnetic instead of thermal. It's faster. It works like a horn. The thermal ones work more like a flasher. Too much current heats the bi-metal. "Plink"! The points open, stopping the current. The bimetal cools and the points close. Too much current heats the bimetal. "Plink!" etc.

Neither of these types ever shut things down completely. They just add enough "off" time to keep things a bit cooler and hopefully prevent anything catching on fire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1