Model R spark and throttle lever project

Fordy

Hi all I am having these parts 3d scanned, the faults digitally repaired and printed in Aluminium. No Idea on final cost but the more units that get done the cheaper they become for those wanting / needing them. Expressions of interest?

hupp levers.jpg

I believe some of the steering components carried over on the pre '24 R so no reason to think they didn't keep using these as well. They are essentially the same as used on mid-teens Buicks. Both companies used Jaycox steering boxes and other components until Hupp changed to Ross units for 1924 after GM purchased Jaycox.

Someone checking in on this thread is certain to know as I can't definitively say yay or nay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well keep me posted. I believe some of this is mangled on my N project, but I don't remember which parts or how mangled. I probably need some or all of this if it is the same as N. The building it is stored in is currently inaccessible due to snow.

I have a quadrant that may be off an earlier car - I'll dig it op and post a picture - it doesn't suit anything I have. It came in a pile that was supposed to be all Hupp

• Like 1

The top of the part the horn button sits in doesn't have the "Chamfer" as in your picture. Other than that, yes they look very similar.

I too have projects "years off running" at least there is plenty to crack on with to stay busy in "retirement"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have just placed an order for the first set from the completed 3D model to be printed direct to metal (Aluminum) - cost is A$360 approx. for the set and will probably go a bit higher by the time it is in my hands. Info from manufacturer is that part will be as good as a cast or CNC unit and will need a small amount of finishing such as taping the threads and a polish up. Once I have them and an "actual" cost I will make another post reporting on the outcome. If you are in need of the set or just one part thereof, let me know and I can probably arrange to have it sent direct from the manufacturer to you which would possibly lower the price as it won't need to come via me in Australia. The levers themselves are quite reasonably priced and it is the quadrant that makes up around 2/3 of the price.

I am having the printing done offshore as the local guys want way too much to do it - as the technology becomes more prevalent hopefully that will change.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
The 3D printed aluminum levers arrived today. Very happy with the results. All needed detail is there including numbers etc. and there is no shrinkage compared to a casting. Minimal work needed to fit to your car. I gave the throttle lever a very light rub with some 320 wet rub and it looks like the grainy finish will come up a treat. Cost is at A$360 a set plus postage to your location. (Subject to exchange rates at time of you placing an order).
These will be unpolished and no threads tapped.
The Star Trek replicator in now a real thing! Who would have guessed?

al hupp lever .JPG

al Hupp levers.JPG

• Like 1

Lotto win project or at least until I get desperate enough to need one. I have a spare ready for a "gunna" project so I have one to copy. I have to change the tank out on my '23 so it may end up there. The 3d print can't do threads properly so there would be machinist costs involved. The brass bits should be easy enough to replicate but I am not sure of the dial face and needle. Maybe we should start another post to get the required info and approximate numbers and if people would accept the raw print for them to do the final work to?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2023 at 6:22 AM, lump said:

Very cool! 

Now, how about making the Model R fuel tank gauge and fuel-pickup assembly? LOTS of us need those! 

Cheers! 

Right - game on!  I am getting the housing and the supply reserve lever that was originally pot metal done as I have a car in my shop that I am assembling for a friend that needs the fuel gauge - the photo shows his "bits" How many out there are actually genuinely interested in one and would Aluminum or Brass be the preferred metal?

I would also be interested on suggestions on where to get the dial face replicated.

fuel gauge.JPG

• Like 2

Just received another set of levers from the printers. Same price of A$360.00 plus freight for the set. I have also been mucking around with a design package and almost have the plastic brushes that run in the levers drawn up in 3D. I just need to do some final tweaking and run a few off for trial fitting.

Also the fuel gauge project is back on as the FB guy chooses to ignore messages.