Torch Regulator Rebuilding: Who does it?

Bloo

I have an old Victor oxygen regulator that needs some work. I had both regulators rebuilt about 8-10 years ago at Hansen & Miller in Seattle, but the oxygen regulator needs help again.

I have been using the torch a lot lately, and didn't really want to be without it while it was away getting worked on. I discovered you can get an oxygen regulator for about $25(!) on Amazon. I had a plan. Buy a cheapo and send the Victor off to Hansen & Miller for rebuilding. That was thwarted when I found out that Hansen & Miller is closed up and there is a paint company in the building now.

So what now? Is there another good shop out there I can mail it to? Do it myself? This being oxygen, I am sort of inclined to let an experienced person do it. On the other hand I found parts kits online, and apparently acetone is the correct solvent to get rid of any fingerprints, etc.

This was my dad's torch set, probably bought in the late 50s. It seems to be high quality, and when it's working right it works better than you would expect from a single stage set.

I'd really like to fix it or get it fixed. Any thoughts?

1td3Nii.jpg

g9vyHvY.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

I've already got the cheapos. $50 for a set! Actually make that $75, because the acetylene regulator needed an adapter (Western 320) to fit my tank. I've not tried them yet. Who knows how long they will hold up?

v1A9U0l.jpg

The Victors were excellent until about 10 years ago. The acetylene regulator is doing fine since being rebuilt then. I'm kind of hell bent on getting the oxygen fixed.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

I have been using the same model Victor for over 40 years now.  I bought mine from one of the big local suppliers as a used pair with fresh kits installed. In those days they had a big repair shop but not anymore.  Never a problem , but I am probably running on luck after all these years. I expect mine will need a kit eventually. 

• Like 1

My local gas supplier still rebuilds them:

https://www.arc3gases.com/equipment-repair-services

• Like 2

Regulators are reasonably easy to work on. I have a back up pair of Smiths that I got for next to nothing at a swap meet. The pressure kept climbing up on the OX. I took them apart and cleaned everything with spray electrical contact cleaner, then a gentle air blast. Put them back together and they work fine.

I don't think I paid more than $10.00 for them. Probably just some dirt . Also had to replace one gauge that was broken but I had a spare.  They seem to be very common at swap meets these days , often at near give away prices.

• Like 2

Agree that there is not much to rebuilding them. I've also done my own in the past. Mostly just cleaning and a new diaphragm unless you have been rough on the gages. I have an Airco set that I bought new 40 years ago and it is still in service. I still have my original gages. Never could understand how gages got broken other than abuse by the rough and ready. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I bought kits from https://regulatortorchrepair.com/ for my craftsman set they seem to have most repair kits. I rebuilt my oxygen regulator it was very easy I don't think I spent a half hour on it. Like you I was hell bent on fixing it I bought the set out of a sears catalog at 13 years old I saved money and worked my butt of to get that set and it still works perfectly to this day. I just noticed this is the same place posted above so I can vouch for them as well. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jeff Spear said:

I bought kits from https://regulatortorchrepair.com/ for my craftsman set they seem to have most repair kits. I rebuilt my oxygen regulator it was very easy I don't think I spent a half hour on it. Like you I was hell bent on fixing it I bought the set out of a sears catalog at 13 years old I saved money and worked my butt of to get that set and it still works perfectly to this day. I just noticed this is the same place posted above so I can vouch for them as well. 

Exactly what I did! My C-man torches are Harris, so parts were easy.

• Like 2