kulin 43

kulin43

Before you do anything drastic go over the front suspension and steering and replace any worn parts. Fill the shocks with oil, true up the wheels and balance the tires. Now get a front end alignment.

I know people who have done this and it took away all need for power steering. They were amazed how easily the car steered, how well it handled and how nice it rode. O ya don't forget the rear shocks and springs, wheels and tires.

This work should be done anyway before you do a power steering conversion and it may make the conversion un necessary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2022 at 5:13 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

Before you do anything drastic go over the front suspension and steering and replace any worn parts. Fill the shocks with oil, true up the wheels and balance the tires. Now get a front end alignment.

I know people who have done this and it took away all need for power steering. They were amazed how easily the car steered, how well it handled and how nice it rode. O ya don't forget the rear shocks and springs, wheels and tires.

This work should be done anyway before you do a power steering conversion and it may make the conversion un necessary.

100% agreed !!!

6 hours ago, Dave39MD said:

Not sure if you are running radial tires but they seem much harder to turn at a stop or parking situation than factory sized bias tires.

Dave

Regardless of tire type, vehicle year/make/model, including those with power steering, common sense should dictate that one should NEVER resort to turning the steering wheel if/when the car is parked, ie. not moving with tires rotating forward or reversed, as this will cause excessive amounts of unnecessary force on every component between (& including) the steering wheel and the tire and can lead to premature failure or at least wear in any one of those components.

Think the stress applied steering wheel hub-to-shaft (whether splined or woodruff keyed), steering shaft-to-worm gear (often press fit), tie-rod ends and other steering linkage components, etc, etc. 

Besides, it will almost never be necessary when one learns to be mindful of this ^^ whenever/wherever operating a car, truck, etc., even in daily driving routines.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all those that have made comment.I make the following comments ,the fully restored car has thousands of dollars poured into it .On the front end it has all threaded pins and bushes replaced in the upper and lower control arms,(just because we had them )also king pins and bushes plus any sus. tie rod ends. The alignment has been done to the book and the radial tyres are running at top preasure.  This car drives beautifully at 10 ks and above but is a absolute bitch at parking speed in confined space .Our 1948 Roadmaster is the same and Buick must have worked it out them selves or had a lot of complaint because the 1949 had a lower ratio steering box fitted .I might also add that our 1939 and 1940 40 series do not have this problem We have not had a problem steering any other Buicks we have had 1916,1924,1926 1929 1930 

I put power steering in my '47 Chev. Must say it is nice. It takes quite a bit of engineering to get everything right and I don't know how much is applicable to the Buick. 

I used a 74 Impala box, made an adapter to mount it in the correct position. I was a able to use ONE of the original holes.  The stock pitman arm is a 2 piece affair so was able to machine a fit for the tie rod end holder to the Saginaw. For the column I used the universal from the impala with the shaft of the 47, put a bushing in the end of the column, and a grease fitting.  I was going 12 volt anyway so found a 57  generator with the pump on the rear of it. Had some custom lines made up. All works as it should.  That's the condensed version.  The electric system mentioned above is likely easier. 

Tyres are radial running at maximum recomended preasure .If it was as good as our 1948 truck type Chev ute I would be laughing because with stock standard front end is as light as our 1969 Electra that has power steering. At 80 I shouldnt have to get into weight lifting to steer the bloody thing.

• Like 1

Wonder how it would steer with bias ply tires?

If you really want power steering the best and easiest and cheapest plan would be to sell that car and buy a slightly newer model that has power steering.

Or you could take it to a hot rod shop and they could likely cobble something together for $5000 or $10000.

Sorry there isn't any easy answer.

• Like 1

All my vehicles are stock standard apart from fitting turn indicators and 48 chev put on 12volt when doing a total nut and bolt restoration. Early on you could get power assist drag link similar to what International Harvester and some other companies like Cockshutt used on there tractors. I believe Chrsler had this available in the late 40s or early 50s and this is what I was hoping to find.

There is a company in the Dallas area that makes what you describe.  I have lost the name and link.   They do "kits" for several cars/trucks. Just not Buicks.  I suspect one of the kits, or parts of more than one, could be made to work.  A hint to finding them may be the 12V generator like alternators with pump on the back ala some GM cars of the 1950s.

I understand where you are coming from. My 1950 is tough to steer at stop/low speed. 

Good luck.

Ben

Some cars used a hydraulic cylinder on the steering, Packard and Ford come to mind. I believe Chrysler and GM always used hydraulics built into the steering box.

It's not so much adding the hydraulic ram, as how to control it. I think you would still have to change the steering box to add the control valve.

Buick offered power steering from around 1953, wonder how their steering compares to yours and if the parts would fit your car? Not that you are going to find 53 Buick steering parts very easily.

49 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Some cars used a hydraulic cylinder on the steering, Packard and Ford come to mind. I believe Chrysler and GM always used hydraulics built into the steering box.

It's not so much adding the hydraulic ram, as how to control it. I think you would still have to change the steering box to add the control valve.

Buick offered power steering from around 1953, wonder how their steering compares to yours and if the parts would fit your car? Not that you are going to find 53 Buick steering parts very easily.

Early vetts .

Buick  power steering first available on 1952 Roadmaster.  As an option, I believe.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)