For Sale: 1940 Cadillac LaSalle $29,500 in Pine Grove, California

Not Mine

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1667349/1940-cadillac-lasalle-for-sale-in-pine-grove-california-95665

Two door Coupe.   All stock Mechanical sound, Flathead, runs and drives well.  California car and always garaged.  Model 40-5227C, Body 1366, Series 40-50, 52

The last year for the LaSalle cars.

Use ClassicCars.com message seller process

aq0135715629-1940-cadillac-lasalle-std.jpg

aq0235715630-1940-cadillac-lasalle-std.jpg

aq0335715635-1940-cadillac-lasalle-std.jpg

aq0435715638-1940-cadillac-lasalle-std.jpg

aq0535715631-1940-cadillac-lasalle-std.jpg

aq0635715632-1940-cadillac-lasalle-std.jpg

aq0735715639-1940-cadillac-lasalle-std.jpg

aq0835715637-1940-cadillac-lasalle-std.jpg

aq0935715636-1940-cadillac-lasalle-std.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

Not so good looking under the hood.  Two coils on the firewall?

The funkier one (more on driver's side) is the original with the armored conduit to ignition switch.  The other one is what makes it (allegedly) run today.

Well on a Caddy I would think there would a gravel guard between the trunk and the bumper. The steering wheel has a cheap wrap on it so I would assume the wheel is cracked. Umm, though it looks like there are two coils on the firewall the engine compartment is an eyesore so why keep the old one? There are no beauty rings on the wheels and for a Caddy I would expect there would be. It does look as though you could salvage the paint and save yourself thousands of dollars; I know I would but it would be a lot of work! I noticed the seller did not paint the fender welts nor the various rubber moldings; is it original paint? I see some new wiring on the the firewall; is the whole car rewired?

Not sure where the prices for these cars are right now. But this is a pretty plain La Salle that needs quite a bit TLC and a good mechanical inspection. $29,500????

Edited by deac (see edit history)

1940 Cadillacs and LaSalles did not have a gravel guard between the trunk and the bumper. I know that Buicks did. I have always found that odd. This car has the optional full wheel covers, so it would not have had the optional trim rings. They were only available with the standard hubcaps. The wheelcovers are missing their medallions, however. The gravel shields on the rear fenders are missing, as is the trunk emblem.

Hard to tell very much from these pictures. 

• Thanks 1

I don't know Cadillac's/La Salle's very well. Your points are well taken. It's a very strange thing about the rear gravel guard. The car is bland and the missing emblem on the trunk makes it worse.  

I think I will stick with my Buick....

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

None of these '40 LaSalles seem to have front ot rear gravel guards nor do they have a trunk emblem. They do have "LaSalle" in script on the rear bumper. The factory brochure shows black (rubber?) rock guards on the rear fenders, but still no front or rear guards (see shadow).

1940 LaSalle Series 52 Special Coupe

1940 LaSalle Series 50 Convertible | LaSalle was a brand of … | Flickr

LaSalle Series 50 Business Coupe

1940 Lasalle Special Coupe | J67 | Kissimmee 2019

Directory Index: Cadillac/1940_Cadillac_-_LaSalle/1940_LaSalle_Brochure

image.jpeg

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)

In the condition that this car is in, IMO the seller is asking Cadillac money for this LaSalle. I do not mean to denigrate the LaSalle Mark, but in it's present condition I would say 25K or a shade less would be fair. I like the car, I would drive it all day long, just needs some sorting out. Regarding the gravel deflector, I am not certain why the company decided not to make this an option as it was on the '40 Super /Roadmaster. I believe that the addition of this would improve the appearance of the rear end of this car. I believe the sheet metal is the same from Fisher Body.  

• Like 1

All the photos in my copy of "La Salle: Cadillac's Companion Car" have rock guards on the leading edge of the rear fenders. Looks like primer on the passenger side rear fender where the rock guard should be.

My guess is the rock guards were tossed and the mounting holes filled when the car was repainted.

The coupes are sharp cars and naturally command a premium over the sedans, but this one's got issues and a not great paint color inside and out.

I'm guessing it'll bring high teens/low twenties.

• Like 2