Advice Wanted on Lowering a '49 Roadmaster

I am considering replacing my worn out springs with new lowering springs in my 49 Roadmaster. The front end has been rebuilt and it has 3 new Delco knee-action shocks. Running original drive-train with Dynaflow automatic transmission.

I could swap out the rather tall Firestone tires with some www radials I have from Coker but I like a still lower look without going full airbag route. I have never lowered a car so what might I encounter with a 2" drop? Will the tires hit the fender wells a lot? Ride go to hell? Pumpkin hit the pavement? It has that wonderfully soft ride now.

I have seen lower springs at Eaton and Shocks2Springs for $404 and $450 a pair respectively. From a similar post on Jalopy Journal   I understand '79 to '84 GM G-Body car OEM shocks will lower it 3" in rear as will '69 GM truck springs.  AND one can just cut the springs but that sounds like a bad ride, or is it??

65214869409__92B0A7DF-562D-42CA-B15F-3DCD8111FCBA.fullsizerender.jpg

6 hours ago, Dan O said:

I am considering replacing my worn out springs with new lowering springs

Worn springs make it look tired and worn out...lowering springs do the same.

6 hours ago, Dan O said:

Ride go to hell?

Yep.  Any restriction in suspension travel does that.  You might think that people with a lowered car are always grinning...it is a grimace.

Maybe (?) if you plopped the body on a new specifically engineered frame...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 1:35 PM, old-tank said:

Worn springs make it look tired and worn out...lowering springs do the same.

Yep.  Any restriction in suspension travel does that.  You might think that people with a lowered car are always grinning...it is a grimace.

Maybe (?) if you plopped the body on a new specifically engineered frame...

OK.  Thanks for the advice!  I will not be getting a new frame though.

Edited by Dan O (see edit history)

On 12/2/2022 at 11:14 PM, 71GS said:

I lowered my 65 Riv with 2” springs and it rides great. Added Bilstien shocks too and can’t recommend them enough. Don’t cut the spring, buy a good set of lowered springs. 

Thanks for the real world experience with the Riviera.  It does not really translate to a 49 with knee action shocks but thanks.

This forum for Performance and Modified seems to not get many participants. The regular forum here is the GOLD standard for advice on old Buicks and has so many great participants (Old Tank especially).  I made the same post in the HAMB Jalopy Journal and got some varied advice on lowering a car.   They are a different group as you can see in the posts. 

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/advice-needed-on-lowering-a-1949-buick.1280126/

It appears fresh springs and lowering spindles from Fat Man are the way to go - at least for me. But my mind is subject to random meaningless changes.

• Like 1