69 vw engine, paint or not

Buick35

I did a '62 bug engine a few years back. The case is magnesium and should be left unpainted, nor should the heads be painted. None of the finned jugs I bought were painted on delivery (mahle brand) I installed mine unpainted. I would think paint would hinder cooling unless it was a very thin paint I guess. With the tins on you shouldn't see much of the fins on the jugs anyway unless you're using some aftermarket stuff? 

Fun little engines to work on, I love the sound they make. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 6:51 PM, Lahti35 said:

I did a '62 bug engine a few years back. The case is magnesium and should be left unpainted, nor should the heads be painted. None of the finned jugs I bought were painted on delivery (mahle brand) I installed mine unpainted. I would think paint would hinder cooling unless it was a very thin paint I guess. With the tins on you shouldn't see much of the fins on the jugs anyway unless you're using some aftermarket stuff? 

Fun little engines to work on, I love the sound they make. 

You are absolutely correct; I rebuilt a 66 1200"A" engine a few months back. Early VW cases were magnesium, later aluminum. The only thing that should be painted is engine tin (black) and exhaust heat exchangers and muffler (light gray VHT)- first use VHT primer and bake in oven 600 degrees for 1/2 hour, let cool then light gray VHT engine paint and 600 degrees in the oven again for 1/2 hour. 49 years ago, I was a VW line mechanic and Unit repair mechanic. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 2