polishing the engine bay?

MotiveLensPhoto

If there's bright metal parts, a little metal polish takes care of those. Porcelainized parts can possibly benefit from a light coat of cleaner-wax.

Other than that, most underhood parts are a matte finish. As Paul said use Dawn or other grease-cutting detergent and a parts brush as needed and then rinse well.

If the engine compartment isn't horrendously dirty Simple Green in a spray bottle followed by a good rinse will clean off most of the grime.

• Like 2

I special ordered this car a 1976 Olds. Original interior, Paint, engine and engine bay also original paint, 116,000 miles. When the car was my daily driver (for ten years) Every time I washed the car, I would wash the engine, every time I waxed the car I waxed engine bay surfaces like part of firewall, fender wells, radiator core support. The engine got wax on valve cover, lifter-pushrod covers, air cleaner, P/S pump.

Why? I work on all my cars (collector or daily drivers) and when I finish working on them, I do not wish to look like a beginner lube rack mechanic after his first day on the job. BTW anyone who's been in the automotive trade knows what I mean here.

Why? I like to clean all parts of the car, just a topside wash isn't a wash. It's like washing your pants and shirts and never washing your underwear.

I'll tell you something else, for you guys that don't do your own work. Usually, a mechanic will do a better job when he knows you've been in there, and usually he'll respect you more for it.

image.jpeg.bba3f935ea0251b4a3e5ad15b3fc39c6.jpegaccording-to-its-owner-with-more-than-115000-miles-and-42-years-of-service-on-the-chevrolet-250-cu-in-six-cylinder-engine-i.jpg?id=31590890&width=450&quality=80

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Golden73 said:

Because judges like them shiny.

For the average shopping center show, perhaps.

Terry

• Haha 1

Once every couple of years? Obviously none of you have a road oiling brass era car with open overhead valves that need oiling often. I will have all of you know that the underside of my hood is well oiled. Every time I drive it I have to wipe oil off of the louvers both inside and out. 😜 🙃 Oh the joys of owning an early auto. 🤪  At least it won't rust that way. 😁

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

My engine bay is clean, and I thought it looked pretty good until I hit the show in Hershey and saw some of the cars there. My car came with chrome valve covers so I keep them wiped down and occasionally will hit them with some mothers chrome polish. There is not much else on the motor that needs polishing, I just keep things wiped off. I will hit the towel with some simple green before wiping it down. The sheet metal (on my car at least) is a mid level gloss/matte finish. Again I just wipe it down with a rag and some simple green. For the plastic radiator shield I rub it down with vaseline then wipe it off good so dust wont stick. Same with the hoses. Other than that I dont get too crazy as my car is a driven more than it shows. 

52240055921_3f4ff77e96_c.jpg2022-07-25_08-30-56 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Golden73 said:

That was helpful.

Answers really can depend on the kind of show and judging you're talking about.

On 11/27/2022 at 7:19 PM, Golden73 said:

Because judges like them shiny.

When the Judge is some other guys wife, who doesn't know a generator from a starter, I don't care if she likes it or not.  If it's important, she can clean it.

• Haha 3