1927 Wolverine ID Verification Questions

Oldsmagnet

Hoping to stumble into some experts here - haven't been able to find much concrete information so far.  According to the internet (who we know would never steer us wrong 😉 ) that serial number should be a '27 Wolverine (end of discussion, thank you, goodnight, right?) -- yet every Wolverine pic I've found has a different dash, different engine, different louvers, and probably a half dozen other inconsistencies I haven't noticed yet.  Is this a Friday car that just got a bunch of leftover parts thrown at it on the assembly line?  Or an early enough production number that it got built differently than what the rest of the internet has shown?  Or are there different trim levels of the Wolverine that could account for all of this? The... uh..... whatever-it-is up on the firewall looks a little out of place, but everything else seems to have a pretty consistent patina.  Of course it's possible a lot of things could have been changed over most of a century, but my gut instinct says that's probably not the case (we can ignore those back seats for the purpose of that statement :D)  Primary goal here is verification before going to the State to try to get a title made for it.  Secondary goal is being able to properly preserve its history for the future.  OK, those may be switched around - I could probably call it a Speedwagon and the State wouldn't know any different <sigh> 

I've stumbled into a handful of correct parts on ebay so far, but I think that's more blind-luck than proper identification... Regardless, any input would certainly be appreciated. Thanks in advance :) 

(Gratuitous shot of it terrorizing our local parade-of-lights last night -- Christmas Spirit was spread to everyone within visual range :)) 

REO_Tag_b.jpg

REO_Dash02_b.jpg

REO_Dash_b.jpg

REO_EngineLeft_b.jpg

REO_Hub_b.jpg

REO_EngineRight_b.jpg

REO_Top_b.jpg

REO_Rear_b.jpg

Float_cap_b.jpg

My first thought was that the number in the photo is the Budd body number.

BUT - my book of serial numbers has the Wolverine as the very last entry, and the source quoted is 'Motor's manual'.

It says the Wolverine was the Model B, and production began in May 1927 and the 1927 model cars ran from #1 to #4,699. 

The 1928 models began in August 1927 and numbers ran from #4,700-14,299.

Going by that info it looks as if that number in the photo could be the car number, and your car is a very early 1928 model probably built August/September 1927.

I wonder of the Continental engine has a casting date on it somewhere (block or head). I think there should be a maker's plate on the engine. The engine should be a Model 15E - 3 1/4" x 4" - 199 cid - making 50 hp @ 2,400 rpm. I think that later in the 1928 run there was a change to a larger engine. I can't be sure but I think engine may have seven main bearings.

I know someone who has a Wolverine and thinks the engine is quite a good unit. This is his car, from before he owned it I think. It was built up from a wreck in the 1980s. Local registration records show it is car number B-8599. I think it has the Continental 16E engine in it - 3 3/8" x 4" - 214 cid - 65 hp @ 2,800 rpm (according to my book of specs). I saw it on our winter event in June and it seemed to go quite well.

28 REO28 Wolverine Mike Crehan 0721.jpg

• Like 1

Update, found the "actual" serial number on the frame, A8xxx, '27 Flying Cloud is now official.  And everything that seemed so out of place initially now fits perfectly.  Next big hurdles are freeing up the driveline, freeing up the engine, and freeing up paperwork with the state...  Not sure which one will be the bigger pain 😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a complete 27 flying cloud parts car I can sell you.  Kept mostly inside storage.  The top was cut off to make a "parade car".  Only parts I have removed were the passenger sided latch mechanism.  In Southern Wisconsin.  Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, reoinwi said:

I have a complete 27 flying cloud parts car I can sell you.  Kept mostly inside storage.  The top was cut off to make a "parade car".  Only parts I have removed were the passenger sided latch mechanism.  In Southern Wisconsin.  Dave

Hmm  -- there's more than a passing level of temptation here -- I'd definitely be interested in more details.  Do you have any nearby hotshot drivers that would be up for a trip to Montana?  (I know I'm ~not~ really up for a trip to Wisconsin LOL)