Jump to content

1939 Roadking head gasket set


Briann
 Share

Recommended Posts

I need to do a valve job I have the 25'' Canadian engine with no bypass or bump on front of block 

Does someone know the part number for FEL PRO engine set 

I ordered some gaskets this summer ended up being for the 23'' engine 

Thanks 

Edited by Briann (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No doubt they sent you gaskets for an American Plymouth Road King which has the smaller block engine. Check that the number is the same as for the same year DeSoto or Chrysler and you should be good. If you ordered from a Canadian source they should have automatically sent the right ones.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

No doubt they sent you gaskets for an American Plymouth Road King which has the smaller block engine. Check that the number is the same as for the same year DeSoto or Chrysler and you should be good. If you ordered from a Canadian source they should have automatically sent the right ones.

It seems there is 2 kinds one with a small bump in front of the block and no bypass 

I need the other one any ones i find don't say what block they fit or none bypass 

 

the spare 38  25'' engine i have has the bump and bypass

Thanks Brian

Edited by Briann (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For anyone following along who doesn't know what @Briann is talking about, Chrysler made their flathead sixes 2 ways, some with a bypass hose, and others with the bypass internal to the engine castings. Chrysler did this both ways on both the 23" and 25" engines. This thread explains the difference:

 

https://p15-d24.com/topic/5866-water-pumps/

 

The short version is if you have a bump, the head and block have a port through the bump, and the head gasket has a bump with a hole to match. If the head and block have no bump, the bypass is instead a hose from the thermostat housing to the water pump, and the head gasket has no hole and no bump.

 

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

For anyone following along who doesn't know what @Briann is talking about, Chrysler made their flathead sixes 2 ways, some with a bypass hose, and others with the bypass internal to the engine castings. Chrysler did this both ways on both the 23" and 25" engines. This thread explains the difference:

 

https://p15-d24.com/topic/5866-water-pumps/

 

The short version is if you have a bump, the head and block have a port through the bump, and the head gasket has a bump with a hole to match. If the head and block have no bump, the bypass is instead a hose from the thermostat housing to the water pump, and the head gasket has no hole and no bump.

 

thanks for the info 

Now i don't know what i am talking about 

I don't see a bump on either engine the one on the ground is from a 38 the other for the 39  

 

 Would like  the parts here so i can do it between xmas and Newyear's don't what this in the garage all winter 

IMG_6321[1].jpg

IMG_6323[1].jpg

IMG_6328[1].jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looked in my Fel-Pro gasket book with no luck for a Canadian engine.  I have a 1945 Victor gasket catalog and they show a number 970S for the Canadian engine.  You might want to send a personal message to Kiethb7 on here to see if he can help too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now I'm a little confused as well after seeing your pictures.

 

The basic plan is there either needs to be a bypass passage from the hot water at the top of the head to the water pump intake. On some engines this is a hose from the thermostat housing to the water pump. Your first picture is like that. No bump. No port, and a hose connection on front of the thermostat housing.

 

On an engine with a bump, using pics from that p15/d24 thread linked earlier, and also this one:

 

https://p15-d24.com/topic/15970-218-gasket-set-source/

 

There needs to be a bump on the head with a passage from the hot water.

 

post-2888-0-21390700-1377370570.jpg

 

post-2888-0-73625600-1377370546.jpg

 

Then through a head gasket with a bump and a hole for the port:

 

P9230501.jpg

 

And then through the block, where it just goes around a corner:

 

post-2888-0-34353900-1377370524.jpg

 

And into a hole in the back of the water pump that leads to the water pump intake (lower hose).

 

PB050362.jpg

 

@Briann, your first picture is of an engine with no bump. I am confused by the second (blue) engine. I don't see the bump, and I don't see the bypass hose either. I suspect you may have the wrong water pump and thermostat neck on that one.

 

@keithb7, @Rusty_OToole, any ideas here?

 

 

 

 

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Bloo said:

Now I'm a little confused as well after seeing your pictures.

 

The basic plan is there either needs to be a bypass passage from the hot water at the top of the head to the water pump intake. On some engines this is a hose from the thermostat housing to the water pump. Your first picture is like that. No bump. No port, and a hose connection on front of the thermostat housing.

 

On an engine with a bump, using pics from that p15/d24 thread linked earlier, and also this one:

 

https://p15-d24.com/topic/15970-218-gasket-set-source/

 

There needs to be a bump on the head with a passage from the hot water.

 

post-2888-0-21390700-1377370570.jpg

 

post-2888-0-73625600-1377370546.jpg

 

Then through a head gasket with a bump and a hole for the port:

 

P9230501.jpg

 

And then through the block, where it just goes around a corner:

 

post-2888-0-34353900-1377370524.jpg

 

And into a hole in the back of the water pump that leads to the water pump intake (lower hose).

 

PB050362.jpg

 

@Briann, your first picture is of an engine with no bump. I am confused by the second (blue) engine. I don't see the bump, and I don't see the bypass hose either. I suspect you may have the wrong water pump and thermostat neck on that one.

 

@keithb7, @Rusty_OToole, any ideas here?

 

 

 

 

not sure about the pump the engine runs cool and has been on this car for a long time was painted in around 1990 the car was handed down to me he wasn't much into changing things i just changed the plugs still looked good but had the same paint on the base of them as the engine 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, keithb7 said:

You can see the extra hole in the front edge of the gasket here:

 

With hump, illustrated here. 
 

 

 

7EF2C337-03AF-4F83-A4EC-E52470D1AB9C.jpeg

Thanks Keith 

I will order both to be safe  along with the other  gaskets .Is there a part number for the whole set 

 And as in my other reply  this pump has been on for a long time and car runs cool put 200 300 miles on it in some hot weather 

thanks again

Brian

 

Found this set sent seller message to see if it's for my engine will check with my parts store also 

 

Engine Cylinder Head Gasket Set Fel-Pro HS 7256 C

 

C $102.64
Edited by Briann (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not a flathead mopar expert, but I have not seen a water neck like the one above, without any type of by-pass visible. Thwre seems to be no hump. No external by pass hose either.  Is it possible that a previous owner scrambled some parts together and came up with this configuration? Once the thermostat is open the by-pass isn’t having much effect.  I believe it is there to allow minimal coolant circulation when the thermostat is closed. Have you looked in there? Is there a thermostat? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keith 

this engine was painted around 1990

and the neck is painted I haven't taken it apart yet .i can install the other neck and pump  when the time comes if needed 

i called the parts store there is a gasket set coming in the morning last one in stock 

thanks for the help

Edited by Briann (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...