For Sale: 1942 DODGE DELUXE 2dr BUSINESS COUPE - $12,500 - GULFPORT, MS - Not Mine

For Sale: 1942 DODGE DELUXE 2dr BUSINESS COUPE - $12,500 - GULFPORT, MS

1942 2 DOOR COUPE - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

PRE-CRUISING THE COAST SPECIAL...... 1942 2 DOOR COUPE DODGE, odometer: 67000

Copy and paste in your email: 1f20386e212a310d85f3df129fcaf851@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this For Sale: 1942 DODGE DELUXE 2dr BUSINESS COUPE - $12,500 - GULFPORT, MS

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, Edited by Kimes and Clark states 5,257 1942 DODGE DELUXE 2dr BUSINESS COUPE built.

'42 DODGE Bus Cp MS a.jpg

'42 DODGE Bus Cp MS b.jpg

'42 DODGE Bus Cp MS c.jpg

'42 DODGE Bus Cp MS d.jpg

'42 DODGE Bus Cp MS e.jpg

'42 DODGE Bus Cp MS f.jpg

'42 DODGE Bus Cp MS g.jpg

'42 DODGE Bus Cp MS h.jpg

'42 DODGE Bus Cp MS i.jpg

• Like 5

So the seller has 3 auxiliary gauges mounted below the dash. Then I look twice at the original gauges and they are intact. Finally I look at the speedo gauge and it reads 100mph!  So I guess the thinking was 'why fix em when you can get around the problem with aftermarket ones'.

Then someone like me comes along and has to figure out what the other guy couldn't or was too lazy to figure out. It's amazing what work arounds previous owners come up with. When I figure out what they did I am thinking it would've been easier to keep it original than to do this ridiculous work around....

• Like 4

Just now, deac said:

So I guess the thinking was 'why fix em when you can get around the problem with aftermarket ones'.

When I purchased my car the wiring was a total mess. It had been converted to 12v + ground. Unfortunately over the years not all of the old 6v - ground wiring had been unhooked or removed. The battery would go dead in a weeks time. Took three days just to get all the old wiring out and sorted so the battery would stay charged. There is now a fuse block mounted on the firewall and a 6v reducer so eventually the gauges can be hooked up but until then I am running an after market set of gauges because "I want to drive the car". The speedo was locked up and the cable twisted off. That's another item on the fix list. Now if I die or become incapacitated or just loose interest in the project I suppose someone is going to come along and say "why didn't he just do it right in the first place". The fact is in close to a hundred years there have been a lot of people messing with the wiring in this car before I ever dreamed of owning it. Would imagine this is the case with a lot of old cars. Also the guy that owns a car now might not know the first thing about electricity and in that case he's better off to just enjoy the car and not make things worse for the next owner. He probably wouldn't know the wiring was messed up anyway. 

I agree in a perfect world everything would be original and neat and tidy. Unfortunately it just ain't going to happen. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Fossil said:

When I purchased my car the wiring was a total mess. It had been converted to 12v + ground. Unfortunately over the years not all of the old 6v - ground wiring had been unhooked or removed. The battery would go dead in a weeks time. Took three days just to get all the old wiring out and sorted so the battery would stay charged. There is now a fuse block mounted on the firewall and a 6v reducer so eventually the gauges can be hooked up but until then I am running an after market set of gauges because "I want to drive the car". The speedo was locked up and the cable twisted off. That's another item on the fix list. Now if I die or become incapacitated or just loose interest in the project I suppose someone is going to come along and say "why didn't he just do it right in the first place". The fact is in close to a hundred years there have been a lot of people messing with the wiring in this car before I ever dreamed of owning it. Would imagine this is the case with a lot of old cars. Also the guy that owns a car now might not know the first thing about electricity and in that case he's better off to just enjoy the car and not make things worse for the next owner. He probably wouldn't know the wiring was messed up anyway. 

I agree in a perfect world everything would be original and neat and tidy. Unfortunately it just ain't going to happen. 

I completely agree. I am a purist who has gone extra miles to keep my cars original. However, if I live to be a hundred, I will never get everything done that I want to do. Some of my reconditioning of old cars has taken years longer because I wait for that unobtainium part and I am missing out on enjoying my cars on the road. I thought when I retired I would have all this time to work on cars, but I actually have almost no time, or energy, to get things done. It's lucky for me that I get as much satisfaction out of just looking at my cars as I do driving them. I see their beauty every day, but they might as well be pictures on the wall.

• Like 6

Nice looking car unique one year grill.  Maybe not as nice as the 41 though. Those painted bumpers really don’t look good.    My guess is that this is one car that is good from far but far from good.  

2 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

Certainly some '42's had painted bumpers

Nope, not at all.  
There are a lot of misunderstandings about the 1942 production.  In an effort to conserve vital materials, for a limited time (late December 41 to end of production in February) decorative trim was left un-chromed and painted, but the bumpers were always chrome.  It was well understood that for a bumper to do it’s job paint was not a substitute. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

17 hours ago, deac said:

So the seller has 3 auxiliary gauges mounted below the dash. Then I look twice at the original gauges and they are intact. Finally I look at the speedo gauge and it reads 100mph!  So I guess the thinking was 'why fix em when you can get around the problem with aftermarket ones'.

Then someone like me comes along and has to figure out what the other guy couldn't or was too lazy to figure out. It's amazing what work arounds previous owners come up with. When I figure out what they did I am thinking it would've been easier to keep it original than to do this ridiculous work around....

When I was a kid in HS we couldn't wait to hang the extra gauges under the dash.   Depending on what was missing from the factory.   These days I will pass on any car with extra gauges.

• 1 month later...