What car looks good with whitewalls? Post a pic to show

SC38dls

Bernie

I really like the styling of the 1946-48 Chryslers with their wrap around grilles , bumpers to match visually and the accent strips at the base of the body, on the rear fender and at the belt molding. All in harmony as a design to work together. Makes the design flow - some other cars of the era are to "roundy" and chubby looking.

Walt

Walt, thank you for the comments. That car came to me through an odd sequence of events. Once it took its commanding position in the garage I liked it more each time I walked in the door. It is a big car. I wanted something imposing and it is all of that. The car is a Saratoga so it sits on a 127" wheelbase. And the front end is massive to stand next to. Luckily, the Town and Country cars provide a good support group. "Some" might say it is almost a classic in the most certifiable way. I will get some mileage out of that, too.

That is a 1937 Hudson Terraplane utility coupe. It was my fathers, he did all of the work on it himself. Farming out only the interior, and I went through the Buick 455 for him. Nice car, he bought it when I was about 16-17 years old. Sitting on a farm next to a shed. About three months later, the guy I bought my first hudson from,  1952 Hudson Wasp,  I told him about the 37 my dad bought. And he said there is another one right down the road from here. Went to check it out, and ended up buying it. So we each had factory Utility coupes. You can see the three cars in the picture, mine was the green one. With the Hudson Wasp on the end. Mine ended up being sold in black primer, with a 392 Hemi in it. Went to eastern Idaho, would like to know what happened to it? My dad finished out his car over 10+ years. He started to have health issues, and had me list the car for him. It went to southern California. Car drove very nice, I bet the new owner never had any problems with it. Just put his own touches on it, is my guess. Car was sold around Sept 2016.

old picture 002.JPG

37 hud 003.jpg

37 hud 004.jpg

more 1937 hudson shots 050.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 014.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 028.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 040.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 065.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 086.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 098.JPG

1937 hudson coupe 108.JPG

• Like 6

On 11/27/2022 at 1:31 AM, Xander Wildeisen said:

That is a 1937 Hudson Terraplane utility coupe. It was my fathers, he did all of the work on it himself. Farming out only the interior, and I went through the Buick 455 for him. Nice car, he bought it when I was about 16-17 years old. Sitting on a farm next to a shed. About three months later, the guy I bought my first hudson from,  1952 Hudson Wasp,  I told him about the 37 my dad bought. And he said there is another one right down the road from here. Went to check it out, and ended up buying it. So we each had factory Utility coupes. You can see the three cars in the picture, mine was the green one. With the Hudson Wasp on the end. Mine ended up being sold in black primer, with a 392 Hemi in it. Went to eastern Idaho, would like to know what happened to it? My dad finished out his car over 10+ years. He started to have health issues, and had me list the car for him. It went to southern California. Car drove very nice, I bet the new owner never had any problems with it. Just put his own touches on it, is my guess. Car was sold around Sept 2016.

old picture 002.JPG

37 hud 003.jpg

37 hud 004.jpg

more 1937 hudson shots 050.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 014.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 028.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 040.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 065.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 086.JPG

more 1937 hudson shots 098.JPG

1937 hudson coupe 108.JPG

mean looking car love the pull out boot extension

• Like 1

Matt Harwood (Harwood motors in Ohio) has a 54 Chevy conv on his web site for sale, that I think looks great with white walls. 
Hope it was ok to copy the pic from his website sale inventory. He has a few others but a 54 Chevy has a special place on my history. 
dave s 

image.png.67b69001ece475428e406aee2f53f094.png

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1629800178_35CADjmobilephoto.jpg.6ec160f0b2dd1fa97d61c49b53e97178.jpg

I'm a fan of wide WW on some cars, large or small. The black car is a 35 Cadillac Fleetwood V12. 146 in WB. Bought it when I was 18 and it had ugly all black truck tires on it with deep tread-yes it looked like a Nazi staff car. The car has wire wheels but it came with all 6 optional disc wheel covers. There's a lot of black there. It needs ww to brighten it up.

The orange car is a circa 1940 amusement park ride. Bought it at Hershey about 20 years ago. It seats 4 kids and originally had 4 steering wheels. Several of these cars were attached to a merry-go-round platform. The body is all metal. I guess you would call it a rest-0-mod. I had to build a steerable chassis for it and powered it with the gizzards from a 1970 GE Elec-Trak lawn tractor. The tractors are 36 volt made up of 6-6v golf cart batteries that won't fit in the body so I used 3 deep cycle 12v RV batteries. 2 just fit behind the rear seat and one under front seat. Motor is under the car mounted to the transaxle. By some dumb luck, I happen to stumble on the vintage chrome wire scooter wheels and new WWW tires at Hershey. Hood ornament is 37 Chevy. The ham posing in the back seat is my son when he was about 8. He picked the colors, not my choice. He is married now and they are expecting their first child. We will soon have to dig his car out of storage, dust it off, and put in some fresh batteries for the next generation.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jdome said:

I'm a fan of wide WW on some cars, large or small. The black car is a 35 Cadillac Fleetwood V12. 146 in WB. Bought it when I was 18 and it had ugly all black truck tires on it with deep tread-yes it looked like a Nazi staff car. The car has wire wheels but it came with all 6 optional disc wheel covers. There's a lot of black there. It needs ww to brighten it up.

The orange car is a circa 1940 amusement park ride. Bought it at Hershey about 20 years ago. It seats 4 kids and originally had 4 steering wheels. Several of these cars were attached to a merry-go-round platform. The body is all metal. I guess you would call it a rest-0-mod. I had to build a steerable chassis for it and powered it with the gizzards from a 1970 GE Elec-Trak lawn tractor. The tractors are 36 volt made up of 6-6v golf cart batteries that won't fit in the body so I used 3 deep cycle 12v RV batteries. 2 just fit behind the rear seat and one under front seat. Motor is under the car mounted to the transaxle. By some dumb luck, I happen to stumble on the vintage chrome wire scooter wheels and new WWW tires at Hershey. Hood ornament is 37 Chevy. The ham posing in the back seat is my son when he was about 8. He picked the colors, not my choice. He is married now and they are expecting their first child. We will soon have to dig his car out of storage, dust it off, and put in some fresh batteries for the next generation.

nice cars love both of them  inc white walls

On 12/2/2022 at 12:11 AM, jdome said:

Friends had a 35 Sedan and I sent their wheel disk covers out and had them plated - made a very stylish difference in the car.

10 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Tried both on my former Model A……black for sure!

FA141A5D-BD3B-4E02-8408-5CF5C3E1A607.jpeg

5EBE5299-6C9A-4480-B5F7-9B85CCBCE2A1.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Tried both on my former Model A……black for sure!

FA141A5D-BD3B-4E02-8408-5CF5C3E1A607.jpeg

5EBE5299-6C9A-4480-B5F7-9B85CCBCE2A1.jpeg

In this case I agree looks much better with black walls

• Like 1

Here is a borrowed picture from the internet which shows a Venetian Red and Shoreline Beige 1957 Corvette.  The whitewalls accent the Shoreline Beige coves.  With the doors open the two tone dash also picks up the Wide Whites.  I have a duplicate Corvette under restoration.  Wide White walls are certainly appropriate. and look better that the small white wall replacements that came out in the later 1960's and 1970's.

Al

Corvettes for Sale: Full Scale 1957 Corvette Display Model on Casters -  Corvette: Sales, News & Lifestyle

9 hours ago, Stude Light said:

Definitely not this one! I thought about it but the photoshop version brought me to my senses (along with some other people's input)!

1756969672_Whitesornot.jpg.5fa04399e32dda1369e36f67f24e8f9d.jpg

white walls don't look right with those wheels. black walls look brilliant

I presume that the parts of that car that are a '35 Buick are sheet metal.  The color, the wheels, and (judging from the exhaust pipes) the running gear, are a personalized expression brought in from a later era.  In this specific instance, I think the whitewalls are appropriate.  If the car were painted as it probably was in 1935, and had factory wheels, I might feel differently.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

I presume that the parts of that car that are a '35 Buick are sheet metal.  The color, the wheels, and (judging from the exhaust pipes) the running gear, are a personalized expression brought in from a later era.  In this specific instance, I think the whitewalls are appropriate.  If the car were painted as it probably was in 1935, and had factory wheels, I might feel differently.

image.jpeg.dbd8902988afc262f30f4070b1e7b5f6.jpegimage.jpeg.7a43f3310b838a0daadc2b3a1b42f7d0.jpegimage.jpeg.ac249acedb731187ded474c8e3c4d245.jpegimage.jpeg.11b19df0dfeb7bb18455868e08f24226.jpeg

On 12/6/2022 at 3:19 PM, oldcarfudd said:

Oldcarfudd,

You are right, it started out in life as a $889.00 baby Buick in 1934 and was carried over in 1935.  Saved Buick from

bankruptsy in the Depression.   The Series 40's were pppular and they sold 500,000 in 1934-35.  Mostly Black cars with 

the Buick 8 cylinder straight 8 engines.   Still has a Buick 8, a V8.   Earl Beachamp had a black one, and hated mine. 

People say they remember these cars or their father had one just like it, but they don't remember the Banjo steering wheel,

leather upholstery or the automatic transmission.   I guess the father didn't buy the Deluxe Model.

I love your early stuff and played with it for years.  Now I'm old and to stiff to crank them.  Now, I like luxury.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
re-position text (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...