1934 Dodge Canopy Express 1/2 ton

roi

5 hours ago, roi said:

I’m trying to find any information available about a truck I recently purchased.

I can’t find any info about a 1/2 ton, only a big truck. Any help would be appreciated, thanks, 

R

996B7A92-F6F7-4D3F-9046-DBC8961BE1AC.jpeg

Hi Roi, 

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not knowledgeable about those years but I'm sure you'll find others are very willing to help out.
So that everyone can help you properly, what exactly are you wanting to know, are you looking for ads, technical information or other objectives?

If you have located the frame # and engine # that will help guide those who have knowledge of these years in better answering your questions. 

As Keiser said, what a beauty!

Thanks for sharing it with us :) 

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. 
I’m looking for any info to help to know what I have here. 
It came with no motor. I don’t know where the frame number would be.

There is a tag on the firewall that reads-   Dodge Brothers Trucks

MFD. By Graham Brothers

Serial No. 8041049    Model KC

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks,

R

Edited by roi (see edit history)

13 hours ago, roi said:

Thanks for the replies. 
I’m looking for any info to help to know what I have here. 
It came with no motor. I don’t know where the frame number would be.

There is a tag on the firewall that reads-   Dodge Brothers Trucks

MFD. By Graham Brothers

Serial No. 8041049    Model KC

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks,

R

Here's a good site to use that may answer some questions. Poke around the gray links at the bottom, it leads to more research tools depending on the topic you want to research. The site is mostly for 1940s - 1960s Dodge trucks but still useful sections if you poke around.

Registry Help (t137.com)

Serial # model charts page

Dodge Truck Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder (t137.com)

The serial # for 1934/35 models replaced the old frame # system. So according to the serial # it was Made in the US and if you're going to be in the market for a replacement time period correct engine it will need to start with T-5 on the block. I do know from helping another Dodge Brother that those engines are out there, you just have to be diligent in your search.

Here's the link specific to the KC models model chart page

Serial Number Guide (t137.com)

image.png.9fce4bd1903749add14f5511b7d98343.png

Here's another good site

Dodge Brothers Club

If you haven't joined yet, I'd encourage you to do so as you'll possibly find other KC owners on the Roster who may be able to assist more directly. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Also, you will want to make note of your wheelbase.

You either have the 111 inch wheelbase or the 119"

The A in the engineering code signified 1/2 ton models

BTW, we encourage every Dodge owner to send away for a build card for their vehicles. It will tell you the exact engine # that was original, the date your truck was built and other important details. Chrysler museum are still issuing build cards but you'll need to provide your serial # and a copy of proof of ownership as a requirement. They may still be catching up to all the backlog due to Covid so please be patient. And please report back to let us know what you find out so we at the DBC can track how many of these are still in existence.

Contact Danielle directly at:

danielle.szostak@fcagroup.com

• Like 1

Again, thank you for the info.

This truck was purchased earlier this year as a project for my son and I. He just graduated from college and wanted to have a project that he and I could do together. This truck had been sitting for many years. The story I got when I bought it was the owner had it for decades, many years ago the motor and trans was pulled to have them gone through. During that time the owner fell ill and eventually passed. His family did not know what shop they were taken to and could not locate them. I then purchased it from the estate.

The motor & trans, seat, all inside door handles are missing. From what I can tell everything else is there, even the two original keys. The odometer is showing 40 k. It has some bumps and bruises, but the sheet metal and wood is in surprising good shape for a work truck. It’s had a paint job long ago and underneath it’s extremely solid. It’s rolling on 17” wheels.

I’m just now assessing what needs to be done and what direction to go with it. 

I have all ready emailed for a build card.

Heres a pic as it was found,

B67BF61C-D7A0-435C-8CEC-08C43C2CDCC2.jpeg

• Like 2

ready for the 12 hour ride home,

I’d be interested to know how many of these were produced and may still be around. I have never seen another or even find a pic on the internet.

I mostly mess with old Fords, this being my first ‘30’s Dodge. My son locked in on this one because of the suicide doors.

BE73264D-1855-4C0C-B3D1-A2FA60579CD2.jpeg

• Like 1

What an incredible truck. I would go back and start going door to door to every machine shop that could possibly have the original engine. There can't be that many businesses that would have taken on this job. Good luck!. The DB club has lots of literature that may pertain to this truck. It is stored at AACA library. Copies of anything we have can be gotten with a phone call to them. Join the DBC, there are people that can help you there too.

• Like 1

You have a gem there. Please be patient and restore the truck to original, in other words do not street rod it. It will take some time and extra effort, but it is worth it in the long run, and much more satisfying than modernizing it. Good luck. We on this forum will help you all we can in looking for parts or giving advice.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roi said:

ready for the 12 hour ride home,

I’d be interested to know how many of these were produced and may still be around. I have never seen another or even find a pic on the internet.

I mostly mess with old Fords, this being my first ‘30’s Dodge. My son locked in on this one because of the suicide doors.

BE73264D-1855-4C0C-B3D1-A2FA60579CD2.jpeg

To give you an idea of how many were produced and how many may still be around.

According to the snippet I posted above (and again below) here is how it reads for the KC and KCL units combined:

Canadian built = 426  units

US built in your serial # range = 25,625 units

US built in the 9 million # range = 1884 units

Total US built =27,509 units

Combined totals for US and Canada built = 27,935

Questions are:

1.) out of the total US built units how many were of the 1/2 ton Canopy body variety.

2.) out of your serial number range how many were of the 1/2 ton Canopy body variety

3.) out of the US and Canada total units built how many were of the 1/2 Canopy body variety.

That answer is not shown as they did not break it down like that.

Keep in mind that some may have been crushed due to the war effort (WWII).

My guess is only a handful may have survived (It's the first I've ever seen and probably the first for most guys on this forum).

Others may add more valuable totals and details but that is how I'm reading the model chart for the KC and KCL models.

You just need to know that is a very, very rare piece of history which is why most here will encourage you to keep it as original as possible.

If I owned it, I would take nearchocotowns advice and try like hell to locate that original tranny and engine. Once you get your build card I'd start another thread asking for help locating the engine with that #. I think most guys in the hobby would be more than willing to help out in the search and would be a great story of reuniting. 
Good luck

image.png.9fce4bd1903749add14f5511b7d98343.png

On 11/19/2022 at 11:48 AM, roi said:

Heres a pic of the wood slat roof.

For it’s age and amount of wood, as well as being principally a work vehicle, other than some finish flaking the wood is in amazingly good shape.

83A3CD74-8E2F-4F0F-BE1B-E9213DC62D57.jpeg.f8cd156132398e595bf1c06acb0ce31a.jpeg

Wow, that's in very good shape. According to The Dodge Story by McPherson these were used by produce merchant others needing versatility. The book doesn't have any 1934 models so I thought I'd post this 1935 model in case you don't have the book.

image.png.4db7f6e19672decbc10a8309ee3e6a30.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, roi said:

Dave, in the picture you posted the truck has suicide doors. Did 35’s still have them?

I'm not very knowledgeable about these years, but as I'm looking at other 1935 examples in the same book (The Dodge Story) it shows a mix of suicide doors on some trucks and not others... not sure why so hopefully someone who would know for sure will chime in. 

I'd recommend the book to any Dodge Brother owner. I got lucky and found a hard cover on eBay for $15 including shipping but most copies average around $25-$50.

On this page the KC sedan delivery and the canopy and K71 Coal truck had suicide doors but the K38 Stakebed did not.

image.png.9e9dcee7ba82c363f09f21f26cbc1290.png

And on this page, the K32 Panel, the KS75 Flatbed (variation of stakebed) and the K45 Box truck had them, while the K45 Congo Expedition trucks in the bottom right did not appear to have them. Again, not sure why.

image.png.6d1539527c8823ed7c97af0cfc223fc0.png

BTW, there's a nice brochure on eBay currently. A bit pricey but thought you might want to see it. Has really good color and looks to be in very good condition.

1934 Dodge Commercial Car Panel Truck Vintage Original Sales Brochure Catalog | eBay

image.png.6def8f7bc4a1238e274b4ccd0759540e.png

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 5:54 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

You either have the 111 inch wheelbase or the 119"

It's highly doubtful, Dave, that roi's car wheelbase is 119 inches. In the "Dodge trucks parts list. 1934 and 1935 model series" book the 119" wheelbase is listed only for KCL and KCLX models (see the illustration below). This is, probably, where the letter "L" (I guess, this means "long") in the designations of these models comes from. Obviously, the base of roi's car is 111 inches - such feeling arises, when viewing the photos of his vehicle.

415334014_Dodkc.jpg.668ecf2b7c14cd68c34fd283511e8abb.jpg

To Mr roi:

Your KC car looks really great (yes, according to old books, KC and KCL models were the commercial cars, not trucks).

You might be interested in reading the thread about 1935 Dodge KC car here, and even try to contact the owner of that car, although it has been quite a while:

1935 Dodge KC

Also, I think, You might find the following books helpful:

1) 1935 Dodge KC and KCL Instruction

This book describes a car, produced in 1935, but most of the features of this car do not differ from the earlier production cars of those series.

1168857435_Dodkcl.jpg.63ac8921cdd9710d48ab14ee30edd935.jpg

2) Dodge trucks parts list. 1934 and 1935 model series

This is Master parts list for all Dodge vehicles from those two production years.

1678124411_Dodkc2.jpg.51e9bf2162e9ba9cd5b37c9ea26112d7.jpg

The titles and the links to these books are for the illustration purposes only. Such Dodge books from these years are not rare, so in other sources You can find the same books at different prices, in different condition, and so on. And I have no connection with the sellers of the books, that I have listed here. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ed Kraft (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Pitalplace said:

we have 3 gauges, glove box and suicide doors. I would love to know when it was built.

Summarizing everything, that Dave (countrytravler) wrote in this thread, and after a little analysis, I can say, that it is "late 35 1st series". Now we need to wait for a response from Dave.

Edited by Ed Kraft (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 7:39 AM, Ed Kraft said:

Can You tell, Dave, if there were any differences in the general appearance of the "late 1935 1st series, and 2nd series 1935 and 1936" vehicles ?

Late 35 2nd series.

regular doors

solid roof top

frame

Push out windshield

Back window on the 2nd series is larger

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 11/22/2022 at 7:39 AM, Ed Kraft said:

Can You tell, Dave, if there were any differences in the general appearance of the "late 1935 1st series, and 2nd series 1935 and 1936" vehicles ?

35 2nd series cab and 36 cab are close. Fuel for the 35 is in the back near the tailgate. 36 is under the drivers seat. Doors from the 35 2nd series will fit up to the 38. Dash is the same from the late 35 1st series to the 36. 37 is totally differed for the dash.

• Like 1

HC and the HCL (1933) have different thickness frames, engines, brakes etc.

The 33-34-35 trucks are the same as the 33 Dodge car from the B pillar forward except for the dash. Frame is different  because of mounting and wheel base. 34 Dodge car is totally different than the 33 car.

• Like 1