1929 White truck spare tire holder

WPVT

I'm attaching a photo of my 1929 White 1 1/2 ton truck taken just before I acquired it a few years ago. Note the cast iron spare tire holder mounted on the running board adjacent to the driver's side door.

I've since removed it, but I believe it may have been original, as was the toolbox. Not a good practice to remove something when you don't understand its purpose. I have no idea why that location would be chosen to carry a spare. It took a good bit of agility to exit the truck with the holder in place. With a spare tire and rim, it would be impossible. I have seen one or two photos of old trucks with a spare mounted by the driver's door.

I can speculate as well as anyone, but does anybody actually know why this spot would be chosen ?  I can already vouch for the inconvenience of having to lift the seat to access the gas tank filler. I know that the truck was supplied as a chassis, but you'd think that they would have given at least some thought to how things would work once a cab was installed. As far as I can tell, everything's original on this truck. It spent most of its life in storage. 

PS I think the rims are original. Budd rims with balloon tires were an option.

1929 White.jpg

Most vehicles in this time period had the door lock on the right hand door. The others were locked from the inside without a key. It was considered safer to exit a vehicle on the sidewalk side rather than the traffic side. perhaps the spare was there as the driver was expected to exit from the other door.