What Car Clubs do you still belong to and why?

alsancle

Hudson Essex Terraplane club. My parents have been in the club since the 60's, and I grew up going to meets all over So. Cal., and throughout the U.S. We are a non competitive club, so everyone is pretty open to sharing knowledge, sources, and ideas. The support and encouragement from fellow members make it an easy decision to renew every year. 

Dany

• Like 1

Other than AACA, the "few" noted below my avatar, I've had a membership in them for decades and originally joined all due to their dedication for cars I have or had at one time and now I just renew out of habit.

While I've gained some business* and made a few longterm friendships through these clubs, in general I've never been much into social activities or events, including shows or tours, they organize.

Through of these "connections" and perhaps perceptions(?) of my experience/knowledge, I've received and accepted invitations to judge at various regional, national and international concours events or shows, but in recent years have become totally disillusioned by it all and have now decided to decline in the future.

Only time I might present a car for judging is if any of my clients want me to do it on their behalf, usually with the car I've restored for them. 

And if someday in the future I let any/all of these memberships lapse or the clubs fold, I don't think it will make any difference to my approach to this hobby.

* Have ran ads in some club newsletters for parts I produce and restoration services I provide, but like the few (vintage) car related magazines I receive subscriptions of, also merely out of habit, I don't have time (nor much interest) to read any myself.

AACA - beyond the great forums and events like Hershey it is the premier depository for automotive history in a library organized by a car club. We own and love old cars but the preservation of them goes well beyond the actual product.  I joined in 1965, was active in a local AACA region until it moved 50 miles east of me as did their activities. Use of the AACA  library holdings is most active  and does not take a lot of laborious activity to access. Staff is outstanding. Hershey and the Forums are spectacular. ( I spend way to much time on the forums , comment to much , need to cut back)

BCA - Buick Club of America - The national club and the local Long Island Buick Club Chapter are amazing. Friendly -the  local chapter is a big family. Outstanding publication is the national magazine , the Buick Bugle. Excellent technical support .

SAH  the Society of Automotive Historians - worldwide in scope, outstanding publications , enthusiastic  officers and board . Absolutely Wonderful annual dinner during Hershey , the camaraderie is great.

Clubs I no longer belong to ( either sold the car that they focus on or because of attitudes I did not care to deal with) CCCA , Packard Club , Franklin Club , Plymouth Club) Some of the clubs I left decades ago some only recently. Some I was very active in at the time and for many many  decades. Some you have to be healthy to participate in or will be asked to resign ( yes really).

• Like 3

AACA

Oakland Pontiac Worldwide, have our families 28 Pontiac.

At one time, in 58-64 Impala club (had a 64),

CLC for several years (Had a pink 57 Sedan Deville). 

left the hobby for 30 years, chasing kids and money....That is why young'uns can't play with the adults.....

Happy to be playing again...

Edited by Delco32V (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Belong to....

AACA - Hershey, this Forum, and the Magazine

MTFCI and our local Chapter - I love my Model Ts and our chapter does an awesome job of putting on tours in the good weather months and the people are awesome.

Should join

HCCA as our local chapter does put on some good tours

Used to belong to 

HASC (Historical Automobile Society of Canada) - just did not find that it suited me and driving Model Ts.....this is the club my parents belonged to for many years and were heavily involved with before I was born and when I was young......when marque specific clubs started popping up, general car clubs like this one have really suffered in our area. It was more fun to tour with 20 other Model Ts in the T Club then to be out with a guy in his 1982 Pontiac Parisienne and another in his 1972 Nova on a HASC tour. 

Edited by coachJC (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

If you use this forum, you really should be a member of the AACA to support it.

I agree.

The only other forum I peruse/use has couple of subscription level options and I gladly pay for one. 

AACA, I participate Nationally, and of course on this site

VCCA (Vintage Chevrolet Club of America) National Events sort have lost their luster without going into it, prefer to participate locally

Was in a lot of other clubs over the years but as my collection thinned down so did my memberships I enjoyed the Buick Club Publication, I get to read it when buddy is done with his. The Cosworth Owner's Association was amazing with the information they came up with every quarter

Clubs to which I currently belong:

1. AACA: I joined in 1957 or ’58, when I bought my first car, a 1928 Hudson Super Six.  It was a great car. After a few years, I sold that and bought a Pierce Arrow for $150. I sold the Pierce in 1963 for $1000 and used the money to help finance grad school. In grad school and in the Army I was not a member.  I joined again in - I think - 1965 and have been a member since. I thoroughly enjoy both the magazine and the meets that I can attend. I especially enjoy this forum where I have gotten so much help - and maybe helped a few people as well.
  2. Cadillac & LaSalle Club: I once had a 1938 LaSalle and I now have a 1935 Cadillac Series 30.  This club has a nice newsletter and forum. The club is moderately active, and the forum is very good. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of interest in the Cadillac yrs 1934 and 1935. I think that is to be expected, as those two years are under represented in the club and elsewhere. There appears to be a lot of modern car activity. I think it has a good future
  3. Buick Club of America: I don’t own a Buick. (It’s an embarrassment.)  I only very recently joined this club. It is very active and has a great forum.  I joined because it is an active club, I love the Buicks built in the 1927-1933 time frame and I have been seeking one to buy. Alas, no Buick for me: I couldn’t find one in good condition that I could afford. Instead I found a Packard that I liked and fit my budget. I’m getting the Packard soon. I still love Buicks. I hope my new Buick Club colleagues will overlook my infidelity and lack of good judgment. :)
  4. CCCA: I joined it back sometime around the time I joined the AACA. I never got to go to any meets. I lived in very rural area, except while in college, and going to those meets was not in my budget. However, I loved the magazines. While I liked the pictures of the various meets, I especially liked the technical restoration articles. Even so, the very, very best articles were the series about various coach builders and their cars. I still have all those magazines.

Clubs to which I no longer belong:

1. Jaguar Clubs of North America: Back in the late 1970s and early ‘80s, Jaguars were cheap to buy. I bought an XK120 for $150, and owned and drove an XK 140 drophead coupe, a MK2 (1960), a Mk IX (1960, I think), a 1962 XKE roadster, a 1966 XKE coupe, and a 1948 MK IV drophead coupe. All were great cars. Marriage and other interests caused me to move on. The club had excellent parts sources, excellent technical support and a good magazine. They participated well in British Car meets and still do. Anybody who owns a Jaguar should consider joining.
  2. The Pierce Arrow Society: I joined back in 1960 or so when I purchased my first Pierce Arrow, a 1929 Model 133. I actually had two. The first was a club sedan, the second was a coupe. Beautiful cars, I wish I had them still. Interestingly, one had polished stainless steel bolts all around the water jacket.  The other had chrome plated ones that the chrome peeled off. I suspect the stainless one was built earlier than the other, and the difference was an attempt to adjust to economic pressures.  The club was a great club (probably still is). I can write lots of stories of fun I had with them, and the help they gave me.
  3. The Rolls Royce Owners Club and The Bentley Drivers Club: My wife and I were stationed in England in 1985. I had the opportunity to acquire a tattered 1937 Derby Bentley saloon. Neat car. Very smooth running, nice handling, fun to drive. I joined both clubs. To my dismay, the reaction I received from the Bentley Drivers Club people was that “It wasn’t a proper Bentley.” Proper Bentleys were built a Cricklewood, not Derby and not by Rolls Royce. The reaction I got from the RROC people that I met was “It’s just a Bentley, not a Rolls Royce”. Both clubs had some really good technical support and literature. I’ll bet today they are very good clubs. But I never walked back.
  4. The Morgan Motor Car Club of Northern New Mexico: I’ve owned three Morgan Plus Fours. I owned a 1960 drophead coupe, a 1963 Plus Four Super Sport roadster, and now own a 1966 Plus Four drophead coupe. I love Morgans. They combine prewar styling, good British sports car performance,  ease of repair, and parts are readily available. They are tremendous  fun to drive.  I started the above mentioned club when I lived in New Mexico. I was the president, the vice president, and the secretary. I was also the sole member. It wasn’t very active, had no magazine, and no website. So I quit.

Phil

Great topic.  While I feel I may be repeating what others have said, I belong to the following:

AACA, for all the reasons others have mentioned plus I really enjoy the competition associated with showing a car. A special note must be added offering kudos to The Antique Automobile, a fantastic publication. 

HH Franklin Club, as I am actively interested in Franklin ownership. 

MTFCI (Model T Ford Club International), because I like the fellowship in that club, enjoy the tours, and like their high judging standards.

I no longer belong to the following:

Any of the local clubs because the infighting and leadership is no fun.

Model T Ford Club of America, not a particularly engaging publication. 

Veteran Car Club of America-joined, paid dues and never heard a thing from them.

HCCA, maybe it's me? The exact same thing happened here, I joined, paid my dues and never recieved or heard a thing.

CCCA Classic Car Club of America,  for all the reasons others have mentioned. While I LOVE Full Classic cars and the publications were excellent, the attitude from many of the members was so prone to cliques and elitism that I left. As mentioned earlier,  it was one person who pushed me over the edge but I do not miss the experience of membership much. 

Others that I belonged to and left are because I don't own, and/or won't likely own a car soon:

Nash Car Club of America-sold the cars (but want another).

Buick Club of America-sold the car.

Checker Car Club of America-sold the car.

Cadillac LaSalle Club -sold the car. Not a super publication in my opinion. 

Model A (both clubs)- never got a car.

Lincoln and Continental Owners Club-sold the cars.

W.P. Chrysler Club-sold the car.

Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club- never got the car.

Sports Car Club of America-wanted to do the great race and they were the sanctioning body. No longer interested. 

Kalamazoo Zealous Owners of Miatas-sold the cars (but want another).

I'm probably missing a couple. 

I'm not a member of any full size car clubs. With my health not allowing me to own or drive a car it just seems...wrong somehow, I suppose. No matter how welcoming and friendly the people are, I still feel like an outsider, and I probably always will, a mental thing no doubt. 

I would like to join the AACA just because it would make me feel less like a freeloader on the forum but the terms confused me about joining mid year. I've been meaning to do it at the start of the year but I keep spending my money on other things...I have a limited amount to spend on fun things. 

We do have a local AACA chapter but the meetings conflict with the Hudson Valley Historical Miniatures Guild and I enjoy that too much to quit.

I have toyed with the idea of joining the Edsel club. I dream of owning an Edsel some day. I don't know if there is an El Camino club, at least nationally. I know of a few regional ones but none closer than Massachusetts.

I am a member of the Town of Newburgh Model Car Club and that is a LOT of fun. It's a car club but scale cars that we build ourselves. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I'm not a member of any full size car clubs. With my health not allowing me to own or drive a car it just seems...wrong somehow, I suppose. No matter how welcoming and friendly the people are, I still feel like an outsider, and I probably always will, a mental thing no doubt. 

I would like to join the AACA just because it would make me feel less like a freeloader on the forum but the terms confused me about joining mid year. I've been meaning to do it at the start of the year but I keep spending my money on other things...I have a limited amount to spend on fun things. 

We do have a local AACA chapter but the meetings conflict with the Hudson Valley Historical Miniatures Guild and I enjoy that too much to quit.

I have toyed with the idea of joining the Edsel club. I dream of owning an Edsel some day. I don't know if there is an El Camino club, at least nationally. I know of a few regional ones but none closer than Massachusetts.

I am a member of the Town of Newburgh Model Car Club and that is a LOT of fun. It's a car club but scale cars that we build ourselves. 

You are three years in on the forum.  Hardly an outsider.    Don't feel obligated to join the club if finances are tight.   But if you can afford it, the magazines are worth it alone.

• Like 7

Billy- AACA and most of the marque clubs specify car ownership is not a requirement to join. Interest in the cars is!

Being a scale modeler, think of the level of detail and finish you'd be able to see on feature cars in a club's magazine, and then to incorporate that in the scale model you're building. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, pmhowe said:

While I liked the pictures of the various meets, I especially liked the technical restoration articles. Even so, the very, very best articles were the series about various coach builders and their cars.

Phil

Thank you for this comment. I contributed in just about every issue of the Classic Car magazine a story of assorted length for 30+ years starting with Beverly Rae Kimes when she was editor. Most all of the stories focused on coach work as I have collected material ( sales, photographs, images, periodicals everything) on that for 60 years as of now, I left CCCA after 45 years of membership when I had some surgery 5 years ago . You need to be healthy to participate in CCCA I was asked to resign from their national board because I couldn't attend meetings while in recovery.

WG

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pmhowe said:

Clubs to which I currently belong:

1. AACA: I joined in 1957 or ’58, when I bought my first car, a 1928 Hudson Super Six.  It was a great car. After a few years, I sold that and bought a Pierce Arrow for $150. I sold the Pierce in 1963 for $1000 and used the money to help finance grad school. In grad school and in the Army I was not a member.  I joined again in - I think - 1965 and have been a member since. I thoroughly enjoy both the magazine and the meets that I can attend. I especially enjoy this forum where I have gotten so much help - and maybe helped a few people as well.
  2. Cadillac & LaSalle Club: I once had a 1938 LaSalle and I now have a 1935 Cadillac Series 30.  This club has a nice newsletter and forum. The club is moderately active, and the forum is very good. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of interest in the Cadillac yrs 1934 and 1935. I think that is to be expected, as those two years are under represented in the club and elsewhere. There appears to be a lot of modern car activity. I think it has a good future
  3. Buick Club of America: I don’t own a Buick. (It’s an embarrassment.)  I only very recently joined this club. It is very active and has a great forum.  I joined because it is an active club, I love the Buicks built in the 1927-1933 time frame and I have been seeking one to buy. Alas, no Buick for me: I couldn’t find one in good condition that I could afford. Instead I found a Packard that I liked and fit my budget. I’m getting the Packard soon. I still love Buicks. I hope my new Buick Club colleagues will overlook my infidelity and lack of good judgment. :)
  4. CCCA: I joined it back sometime around the time I joined the AACA. I never got to go to any meets. I lived in very rural area, except while in college, and going to those meets was not in my budget. However, I loved the magazines. While I liked the pictures of the various meets, I especially liked the technical restoration articles. Even so, the very, very best articles were the series about various coach builders and their cars. I still have all those magazines.

Clubs to which I no longer belong:

1. Jaguar Clubs of North America: Back in the late 1970s and early ‘80s, Jaguars were cheap to buy. I bought an XK120 for $150, and owned and drove an XK 140 drophead coupe, a MK2 (1960), a Mk IX (1960, I think), a 1962 XKE roadster, a 1966 XKE coupe, and a 1948 MK IV drophead coupe. All were great cars. Marriage and other interests caused me to move on. The club had excellent parts sources, excellent technical support and a good magazine. They participated well in British Car meets and still do. Anybody who owns a Jaguar should consider joining.
  2. The Pierce Arrow Society: I joined back in 1960 or so when I purchased my first Pierce Arrow, a 1929 Model 133. I actually had two. The first was a club sedan, the second was a coupe. Beautiful cars, I wish I had them still. Interestingly, one had polished stainless steel bolts all around the water jacket.  The other had chrome plated ones that the chrome peeled off. I suspect the stainless one was built earlier than the other, and the difference was an attempt to adjust to economic pressures.  The club was a great club (probably still is). I can write lots of stories of fun I had with them, and the help they gave me.
  3. The Rolls Royce Owners Club and The Bentley Drivers Club: My wife and I were stationed in England in 1985. I had the opportunity to acquire a tattered 1937 Derby Bentley saloon. Neat car. Very smooth running, nice handling, fun to drive. I joined both clubs. To my dismay, the reaction I received from the Bentley Drivers Club people was that “It wasn’t a proper Bentley.” Proper Bentleys were built a Cricklewood, not Derby and not by Rolls Royce. The reaction I got from the RROC people that I met was “It’s just a Bentley, not a Rolls Royce”. Both clubs had some really good technical support and literature. I’ll bet today they are very good clubs. But I never walked back.
  4. The Morgan Motor Car Club of Northern New Mexico: I’ve owned three Morgan Plus Fours. I owned a 1960 drophead coupe, a 1963 Plus Four Super Sport roadster, and now own a 1966 Plus Four drophead coupe. I love Morgans. They combine prewar styling, good British sports car performance,  ease of repair, and parts are readily available. They are tremendous  fun to drive.  I started the above mentioned club when I lived in New Mexico. I was the president, the vice president, and the secretary. I was also the sole member. It wasn’t very active, had no magazine, and no website. So I quit.

Phil

If you have serial number info, I can probably find your Pierce for you. Ed

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

If you have serial number info, I can probably find your Pierce for you. Ed

Thanks, Ed. Unfortunately, i no longer have the serial number.   That is probably for the best, as I am sure it is now out of my pocket book range. And, I really liked Alsancle's comment above.