31 Nash steering

31nash880

10 minutes ago, 31nash880 said:

Quick question,

Working on getting steering a bit tighter. I guide to car not steer it.

Anyhow, is the pictured joint serviceable? Does not seem to be bad but if it needs maintenance I will do it now.

Thanks everyone!

20221113_161951.jpg

Do you have an owner's manual or shop manual that shows the connection? With some of those, if the ball at the end of the pitman arm isn't flattened out, I think you can turn in the giant set screw at the end of the drag link and under the cotter pin to tighten up the connection.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, 31nash880 said:

Thanks,

Have near seen this type joint and wondered if it gets greased and if so is that a fitting on the end? Does not seem to be worn.

By the way, any idea what fluid goes in steering box? Manuals are hard to find.

I think that is a grease fitting on the end. I hear some people use cornhead grease for the steering boxes.

To a more detailed answer. Have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you are underneath and you can see where all the play in the system comes from.  The joint you show can be adjusted if it is loose, but you should take it apart and clean and check it. Mostly to see that the ball is still round or if it has been worn oval.  If the ball is good - it doesn't have to be perfect, there is a strong spring to take up the variations, adjust it so there is a bit of drag on the ball. no play. 

• Like 1