1940 Buick 6V, straight 8 Struggling to start

clipperfan

3 hours ago, clipperfan said:

New Update

Replaced the condenser with the old one and in the process found the wire from the points to the side coil connection was frayed to the point of a single strand holding on which broke with a tiny tug!

Replaced that and reset the points (.015" is pretty hard to see) then I reattached the positive pump wire to the battery (quieter now than earlier) and it started right up immediately.  Shut it down and it restarted immediately. I waited an hour before sending this note and it continued to start right up!!

Thanks so much - you guys are the best!!

Jim

Clipperfan65

Now you ought to drive it to see the guy you bought it from and ask if he notices anything different...😈

Get that flexible distributor wire replaced and I think you now have a reasonably reliable and happy old car! Till the next thing breaks anyway! and we'll be here for that too!😛

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, clipperfan said:

Replaced the condenser with the old one and in the process found the wire from the points to the side coil connection was frayed to the point of a single strand holding on which broke with a tiny tug!

Start with the simple things first.  Glad you found the root problem.

Before you button-up the distributor for good, check the ground wire from the breaker plate to the distributor body.  It also uses a stranded wire that is susceptible to fraying/breakage.  A poor ground will also reduce the spark output.  Bob's Automobilia sells replacement primary and ground leads for the distributor.  https://bobsautomobilia.com/

• Like 6

Starting when the key is released is a sign of voltage dropping too low during cranking to operate the ignition.

I know this is a crutch, but if your other fixes don't cure it, you can put in an 8 volt tractor battery. They make starting easy. Just check the generator output voltage, and turn off up a little if needed to charge the battery.

Edited by Hemi Joel
Correcting aito-correct (see edit history)

Hi Glenn

It started and ran fine once it got warm and took some rides with my sons and other folks - everybody loved the soft ride!

Need to see if this can go on the freeway - I got it up to 50 or so on back roads but freeways are another matter!

Need to get back on the timing and find the flywheel mark

Will order and install good distributor wires per EmTee's recommendations!

Going to sign off but the appreciation for all your help will remain!  

Best

Jim

Clipperfan65

1940 46S sport coupe

2014 mustang GT

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

I am glad you were able to give some rides and enjoy the car.  I do not know the gearing of a 40mSpecial, but if it is like the earlier years freeway speeds will be really pushing things.  Others will chime in who have first hand experience. Many people with the Special are begging for an easy way to change the rear end gears for freeway speed. Unfortunately, there is no EASY way to do this.

10 hours ago, clipperfan said:

Hi Glenn

It started and ran fine once it got warm and took some rides with my sons and other folks - everybody loved the soft ride!

Need to see if this can go on the freeway - I got it up to 50 or so on back roads but freeways are another matter!

Need to get back on the timing and find the flywheel mark

Will order and install good distributor wires per EmTee's recommendations!

Going to sign off but the appreciation for all your help will remain!  

Best

Jim

Clipperfan65

1940 46S sport coupe

2014 mustang GT

Jim, we hope by "sign off" you do not intend to abandon us!   Please hang around.

Ben

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ben

I won't abandon such a great and knowledgeable gang of Buick lovers!  I learned a lot and I'm just getting started!  I was impressed by the amount of time you folks took to help me out and you did - so i want to join the AACA club and maybe meet some of you at general LA car meets - I want to get up to Big Bear's August car show where I've shown one son's '66 Mustang and another's 67 Cougar over the last decade  -  but I'm a Buick guy since my first car, a '55 Special back in high school back in the late '60's!  Paid 150.00 for it!

So thanks a lot everyone! And have a nice Xmas!

Best

Jim

Clipperfan65

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 9:14 PM, clipperfan said:

Good info - will do!

Plan to join AACA tomorrow 

Jim

Clipperfan65 

Why wait.  Here ya go.

https://store.aaca.org/customer/account/login/?_ga=2.130706255.1745025531.1667235382-2077704501.1661727267&_gl=1*111tz67*_ga*MjA3NzcwNDUwMS4xNjYxNzI3MjY3*_ga_QQE5Y9S8MK*MTY3MDA3NTI0NS4xLjAuMTY3MDA3NTI0NS4wLjAuMA..

• 2 weeks later...

Your right Larry - why wait!

Car still runs ok but it needs to warm up (looking for a 2nd carb with a choke to play with!) - I retarded the distributor slightly so it won't miss @ 60 or so mph but I also need to actually time it which I will do - now I know why so many cars back in the day had overdrive units added - hope that is something the Buick can get - if not, I suspect  60-65 mph is it for my 1940 Buick 46S which will make driving on the slow lane on the freeway interesting.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help I really appreciated it - learned a lot and that won't stop!

Enjoy the Holidays!!

Best

Jim Gilmore

Clipperfan65

BCA # 52571

AACA # 918917

• Like 1

Thanks Ben - I know it now and new gears will be on my agenda - I don't exactly know what gears I do have but I suspect it is the standard 4.4 to 1 ratio - the 3.9 to 1 ratio was optional but I don't have much in the way of options on this car except the radio (which doesn't work (yet).  Doesn't even have a heater or oil filter both of which were a surprise to me.

I do have a shop manual and will see what's involved in a gear change.

Hi DFeeney,  As far as the fuel pump is concerned - I'll see if I have a pressure gage and check output pressure - but flooding doesn't seem to be a problem yet - I think the carb is a bigger issue.

Rebuilding the mechanical pump was something else on my todo list 

I'm also going to be looking for a new fuel gage since mine is stuck at about a quarter of a tank even after I filled it up. I've only driven it about 60 miles around town since I got it running -I'll fill it up @ about 100 to 150 miles or when the gage indicates empty and get a conservative estimate of how much range I do have before I need gas!

Again, Thanks all!

Jim Gilmore

Clipperfan65

BCA # 52571

AACA # 918917

1940 Buick 46S

The fuel gauge is probably OK. The fuel gauge sending unit in the fuel tank is most likely the problem. When you have driven the car 100 miles since your fill up, I would suspect it to be near empty. I would then drop the tank and repair the fuel sending unit. You might want to do some research on this site to see how to rebuild the fuel gauge sending unit. You could order new floats for the sending unit before you get to that job, as you will most likely need new floats. 

• Like 1