1936 Nash Ambassador Type R1 Cruising Gear transmission general information

Daniel Jones

A while ago, I inherited a 1936 Nash Ambassador and I recently put it on jack stands to take a peek at the transmission and overdrive.  My 1938 Chrysler Imperial has a Borg Warner T-86 3 speed with a Borg Warner R6 overdrive bolted to it which Chrysler used from 1937 to 1939.  As I understand it, 1937 was the first year for the R6.  1936 Imperials had a one year only Borg Warner T86 1A overdrive transmission where the transmission and overdrive share the same case.  IIRC, the 1935 Chrysler used Warner TR14 transmissions with a separate overdrive unit.  Searching through the 1936-1938 Nash shop manual, it appears there were several transmission and overdrive combinations available:

Cruising gear Type R1 transmission
 Cruising gear Type 86 transmission
 Cruising gear Type N2-R6 transmission

My overdrive unit has the marking R1-1E, along with W.G. Co (Warner Gear) and some patent numbers so I assume it's a cruising gear Type R1 transmission.  The only markings I've found on the transmission case are 47310.  That case number is listed in a Nash interchange document as a T212-16A transmission.  It appears to have been used without the overdrive in 1937 Nash 3720 Ambassadors with the OHV 6 and with or without the overdrive in 1937 Nash 3780 Ambassadors with the OHV 8 engine.  I see no listing for it in the 1936 models so it's possible the transmission and overdrive were swapped into the car along it's journey.  I've tried searching for information on a Nash cruising gear Type R1 transmission, Warner Gear or Borg Warner T212 transmission and a Warner R1 overdrive unit but haven't found any useful information.  Anyone up to speed on the early Warner transmissions and overdrives?  Any information and parts sources greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan Jones
St. Louis, MO

• Like 1