1928 Willys whippet

GARRY.MAYES

The 1928 Whippet 4 cylinder used a Tillotson type S-4C

The 1918 Whippet 6 cylinder used a Tillotson type SP-16, superseded by a SP-16C

You have a better chance of winning an argument with the IRS than finding either in usable condition, as they were an early zinc alloy, and all have cracked to pieces (small pieces, not large ones, and sometimes not pieces, just dust).

The Zenith 14544 is an aftermarket carburetor which is still available new. 

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I don't mind paying $500.00 for a carb. if i new that was the problem getting it started. If it don't start your back to square one, and your out $500.00  Yes it's in time and spark and all the essentials to get it started. I found the carb. new i was just trying to find a more reasonable price. Thanks to you guys for your responses.

On 11/13/2022 at 11:02 AM, JFranklin said:

There are replacement carbs for tractors listed at reasonable prices on EPay that might fit and are for similar CI engines, you might try one just to see how things work out. I bought one for a 4 cyl Continental engine in my tractor for less than $ 30. delivered.

Thank's for the tip.

I have a Carter B&B on my 28 Whippet Model 96. It came with the car when I bought it in 2016.

Most Whippet owners that I know use the Zenith replacement carb that CarbKing recommends & seems to be the model you currently have. It works great when it works.

What is the problem with your Whippet not starting....or running?

Have you checked the heat pipe that runs up through the exhaust manifold for leaks? Vacuum tank and float? If you are still running the 4 bolt vacuum tank, make sure the float is installed correctly. I can send you info on these if needed.

Have you checked on the WOKR Forum?

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Bill

Edited by wmsue
correction (see edit history)

On 11/14/2022 at 4:17 PM, wmsue said:

I have a Carter B&B on my 28 Whippet Model 96. It came with the car when I bought it in 2016.

Most Whippet owners that I know use the Zenith replacement carb that CarbKing recommends & seems to be the model you currently have. It works great when it works.

What is the problem with your Whippet not starting....or running?

Have you checked the heat pipe that runs up through the exhaust manifold for leaks? Vacuum tank and float? If you are still running the 4 bolt vacuum tank, make sure the float is installed correctly. I can send you info on these if needed.

Have you checked on the WOKR Forum?

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Bill

I 'm a member of wokr. To answer some of your questions the tube in the intake is new. The carburetor has been rebuilt. I installed an electric fuel pump on it. I get fuel in the float area but for some reason its not getting down where it can get up in to the ventura. I will try carb king. Thank you for the info. Garry Mayes

• 3 weeks later...