Can’t Find Brake Drums Dodge Meadowbrook

Fleetwood Meadow

I’m losing my mind trying to find rear brake drums for the 1951 Dodge Meadowbrook. They came with a spindle hub for the axle that was held by the lugs. With the hub removed I need to find a new brake drum. It’s 11”x2”, 5 lug at 4.25” diameter. I can’t find any. Any help would be appreciated. 

641EFBA5-A8D0-4C6E-B20F-DB0AFD8E0045.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Fleetwood Meadow said:

In 2019 he posted on here saying he was selling everything off due to health reasons. Shows he was on here last in August. 

He missed Carlisle and Hershey this year due to illness.  He did not sell out back then but his recent illness has slowed his time to respond for parts as reported by another forum member.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Fleetwood Meadow said:

I need to find a new brake drum. It’s 11”x2”, 5 lug at 4.25” diameter. I can’t find any. 

You might want to double check the bolt pattern diameter, which if I'm not mistaken, should be 5 on 4.5"  most MoPar passenger cars of that period.

The way you're measuring isn't quite correct.

It can be used as a reference, but you need to add about 1/4" to come up with a centerline for the diameter of a full circular pattern.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Fleetwood Meadow said:

Based on this I was measuring for a 4, 6, or 8bolt pattern. Based on the measurement I made in the picture and this guide is it showing 4.5”? It looks like it to me. 

A9298986-3BE6-4B73-8BD9-1A92728181AD.jpeg

If you used this ^ "guide", how did you come up with 4.25" in your OP ?

I did not use that guide originally. I had always been taught that bolt diameter was center to center. Nobody mentioned that 5 bolt was an exception.  4.25” didn’t make any sense to me either, that’s why I finally had to post it here to figure this out. With it being 4.5” I can find a drum much more easily. Just had to talk it out because the local auto stores were clueless. If it wasn’t in their system they didn’t know and didn’t bother to even try to measure it for me. 

• Like 1

It's not so much that 5 lug is different, it's just a pain to measure. The measurement is the circle around which the holes are placed. With 4, 6, or 8 lug if you measure between 2 studs you are on the circle. With 5 lug (or 3 lug) you are not and have to guess where the circle is. There is always some fudge factor method like the one in that chart adding half the diameter of a stud, or adding 1/4" to a line between 2 studs, etc. etc.. It's super easy to get wrong because there is nothing at one of the points you are measuring to.

• Thanks 1

Yes, but why buy those when the internet provides the answer

5 lugs? Just measure from the center of one bolt to the outside of one of the opposite bolts.;)

https://www.cokertire.com/bolt-pattern

• Like 1

Have you tried looking at other MOPARS - Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, Desotos of the same year to find a good one to rebuild?  They all look very similar in the early 50's and I didn't know if they really did any mechanical differences between models.  When I needed drums for my Plymouth, I posted on the Plymouth Owners Club and someone had changed out their rear-axle to go faster with higher gears so they had the drums available (and they were in good shape).

You might ask guys who are parting out cars to see if they have a good drum set.  Here is one listed on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/687217782832309/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A412d86a5-535f-4de3-8af4-16719d6d128e