BUICK 1939 business coupe - $8,500 (Raymond, Maine)

Not Mine...

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/west-poland-buick-1939-antique/7555558707.html

A recent Barn Find 1939 Buick Business Coupe. The car reportedly spent 18+ years stored in a barn just as it came off the road, it is complete with all of the original equipment like the straight "8" cylinder overhead valve engine, 3 - speed manual transmission, hand crank front windows, vacuum windshield wipers, clock, folding front seat. The interior appears to be original with mice damage to the headliner and other small areas, most of the window glass has delaminated and needs to be replaced. The 230 cubic inch straight "8" engine spins over easily, however, due to the extended storage and the deterioration of gasoline I did not attempt to start the engine, the clutch depresses and engages, the transmission shifts and all gears appear to be in order, the steering wheel turns the front wheels easily, the brake pedal goes to the floor. The exterior body appears to be in really good condition with only a few small areas of rust that can be easily repaired, all of the exterior lights and body moldings and trim pieces including a really nice front "Buick" emblem are still on the car. The front and rear bumpers are straight and secure, all wheels have trim rings and center caps attached. There is one small dent in the right front fender, the dent is the size of a small grapefruit and can be easily repaired.

This Antique Car is For Sale "AS-IS" and "WHERE - IS" pickup only. The price is $8,500.00 USD. I will consider TRADES of equal value. phone calls no later than 7:00 pm

contact name:
Ken

call or text:
(207) 272-44 nine one

[more pics in ad]

azzz0100T0T_l83eLXefGO0z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

azzz0200I0I_fVwekTj9N9Kz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

azzz0300k0k_dTXwvKovghvz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

azzz0400N0N_IXipqZrAVzz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

azzz0500q0q_cUKhriqMhCkz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

azzz0600z0z_3STE45B2r5Vz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

azzz0700d0d_4ihnoxUObtZz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

azzz0900C0C_70yXzVD5HkJz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

azzz0801313_4Com8ncDlEBz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 3

When I bought my '40 Super in 2008 this is about the shape my car was in except my car ran. I paid 6K for my Super, a little high. One good thing about this car is that it doesn't have much chrome (expensive). Before buying this car, I would get a catalog from Steele Rubber and make a list of every rubber part that is on this car, as all of it will have gone to junk (look at the tail light and check the rubber seal to the body). Then think about replacing all of the wiring because it is more than likely original. The paint does not look bad and maybe the engine is ok. IMHO just a little over priced. 

• Like 1

This looks like a pretty nice car and would make for a good project.  Don't look to the pictures to make you assessment because there is a lot of needed work under the skin. I would like to think one could salvage the paint and save yourself thousands of dollars however pictures make great liars. Rodent/mice damage is most likely not limited to just the headliner. I would think to fix the pertinent items and get this one back the road as a driver would be  cool thing to see. This probably is a model 46 and not a 46S which makes this the bottom of the coupe line. That said a more realistic price would be 5 grand. Anyone who buys this is taking it on as a labor of love because the repair work will quickly surpass what it's worth

• Like 1

Do I recall that some of you guys can identify a 40 series just by looking at the engine? If that's the case, please enlighten us who are less informed. The trouble with people who offer vintage Buicks for sale is that they don't always appreciate the difference in freeway speed of the different models.

3 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Do I recall that some of you guys can identify a 40 series just by looking at the engine? If that's the case, please enlighten us who are less informed. The trouble with people who offer vintage Buicks for sale is that they don't always appreciate the difference in freeway speed of the different models.

I owned a 39 coupe 46S and it was one of my first old cars and loved it! It was all original but needed a rewire and the front seat needed to be re-upholstered. But that car ran strong and looked good. But I think the only way you can tell the series of the motor is by the 1st digit of the ENGINE number will be the series of the car. 4=special, 5=super and so on and so forth. Other than I don't know any other way... 

5 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I believe you can tell but I don't remember exactly how. Apart from the size that doesn't come through well in pictures, I believe there are a couple things located in different positions that give it away. Probably the breather tube filter and... maybe the dipstick?

May I?

Easier from the drivers side.     And this is engine size, not series,  as some years each engine was used in different series.

248ci,  sometimes referred to as the small engine,  was used in the Series 40, Special, and Series 50, Super .  First year for Super was 1940, I believe.

320ci, large engine, was used in Roadmaster, Limited, and Century.

Easiest "tell" on the drivers side is the crankcase inlet filter is at the REAR of the block on the 248 [ and later 263] .    It is at the FRONT on the 320, sorta below the generator.   

On the passenger side the milled surface where the engine number is stamped is indeed in different spots,  but this also changed places somewhere around 1939-1940.   I believe all post war at least the number is BEHIND the distributor on the 320 and in FRONT on the 248 [ 263 ]. 

deac is partially correct.   PREWAR   , 1942 and back, the FIRST digit indicates the Series in which the engine was first installed.  POSTWAR , 1946 onward, the LAST digit does the honors. 

Ben

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...