Need a top for a Stwart Warner Vacuum fuel pump

GasWorksGarage

22 minutes ago, Glenn Manes said:

Try Ebay…there are always some available there.

I agree......it's a vacuum tank.......not a pump. Search under that on ebay. They are often cracked.........

1 hour ago, dibarlaw said:

Ouch! A stripped inlet is not good. Someone on the forum (I think Terry Wiegand) just replaced his for his 1916 with a newly made top. 

Most of the top mechanisims may be the same over a period of years. My 1925 Master unit is a 216-A.

Thanks for the info, do you happen to know where he got it?

Larry DiBarry mentioned that I replaced the cover (lid, if you will) for the vacuum tank on our 1916 D-45.  Yes, I did replace the cover, but not for the reason that you will need to find a different cover.  It is my understanding that Buicks first had a vacuum tank beginning with the 1915 models.  I am not for sure about the 1914 Big Six.  I hope someone who knows for certain will speak up about that.  You will want to be very careful about which cover you will try to put on your tank.  The vacuum line connection, fuel inlet line connection, vent line connection, and tank fill opening will be in different locations on the various tank models.  I am telling you about this and also letting you know that you will want to be very careful when you set things back together.  My tank's problem was that the vacuum line needle would not open properly when it was supposed to because the arm that controlled that function was binding, or hanging up in the lid post.  The fuel would all be used up that was in the tank and then finally the float would drop allowing for fuel to be pulled into the vacuum tank from the tank at the rear of the car.  If you find a different cover, you will want to make sure that the needle is opening and closing properly with the float moving up and down.  I am still looking for the proper cover for my tank (the cover I need has the Brass tag as shown in the photo).  The cover that I ended up using is one that I had as a spare that was in really nice condition and the float/needle function worked properly.  A friend here on the forum gave me two of the proper little springs, and they work just like they are supposed to.  To make a long story short, these vacuum tanks are really pretty delicate and if they are working properly life can really be good.  Hugh is right on about greasing the threads on the fitting inside the banjo connection(s).  I hope that what I have relayed here will be of some help to you and anyone else.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

P9061554.JPG

P9161556.JPG

P9161557.JPG

P9161558.JPG

P9161559.JPG

P9161560.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Terry, I was waiting for Gregg the roster keeper of all Big six Buicks to answer the question about model years 1914- 1916.  The 1914 B-55 had a pressurized fuel tank and did not use anything closely resembling the SW system,  in 1915 Buick used the first design SW tank that from a distance looks like the 1916 and up model.  However the tank and lid come together differently, to me the 16 and up tanks look very similar on different makes and years with the exception of fuel capacity. I have been looking for the 1915 design and I have come to the conclusion that they were redesigned for a reason, either prone to cracking or unreliable design? Below is my 1915 C-55 with a 1916 D-55 SW tank. I do know that this car is running a BB1 and does not need the vacuum tank, but I would still like to collect the original parts90D25A34-582A-4A85-AAB5-C097AA92ED29.jpeg.807a14fd54ee9f732745dcc691a865d4.jpeg

• Like 1

Nobody listens to me but the 2 big gaskets around the lids should be rubber, not cork. I know cork is "correct" for original and will work fine, for a while, but vacuum tanks depend on vacuum and a small crack anywhere in that cork will shoot the bed. Cut rubber gaskets and they will never fail. 

Edit: Don't use rubber gaskets if you use ethanol gas, it makes rubber swell up. But you shouldn't use that anyway. 

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

7 hours ago, ramair said:

Terry, I was waiting for Gregg the roster keeper of all Big six Buicks to answer the question about model years 1914- 1916.  The 1914 B-55 had a pressurized fuel tank and did not use anything closely resembling the SW system,  in 1915 Buick used the first design SW tank that from a distance looks like the 1916 and up model.  However the tank and lid come together differently, to me the 16 and up tanks look very similar on different makes and years with the exception of fuel capacity. I have been looking for the 1915 design and I have come to the conclusion that they were redesigned for a reason, either prone to cracking or unreliable design? Below is my 1915 C-55 with a 1916 D-55 SW tank. I do know that this car is running a BB1 and does not need the vacuum tank, but I would still like to collect the original parts90D25A34-582A-4A85-AAB5-C097AA92ED29.jpeg.807a14fd54ee9f732745dcc691a865d4.jpeg

ramair

Here are some photos of a vacuum tank that was on a 1915 C-36 I had bid on.

DSCF4051.JPG.7bf8d7981213507e30baca7305078190.JPG

DSCF4052.JPG.af226128911ead1c8d63fec6bd798d3d.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old car fan said:

Morgan, have been rebuilding  tanks  for 20 years  ,sell kits and service, parts.understand why nobody  listens. Hell,gaskets  used to be  paper. 

Paper gaskets to hold air pressure? Not buying it. Basketballs don't have paper valves and tires don't have stems that use paper to seal the air in. Vacuum jars don't use paper seals around the lids. NASA doesn't make space suits with paper around the headpiece to keep the vacuum of space out. None of them use cork, either. They always use rubber.

Old car fan, i pm ‘d you but I see you replied here, looks like you don’t have one for the 1915 Buick?

On 11/27/2022 at 4:10 PM, old car fan said:

Morgan, I pulled  a tank  out of stock,just to prove  they used paper, I will video  the disability. 

What's the viscosity of air? Here's a list of viscosities in centipoise:

SAE 40 motor oil = 750 centipoise

SAE 30 motor oil = 500 centipoise

SAE 20 motor oil = 275 centipoise

SAE 10 motor oil = 115 centipoise
Linseed oil = 33 centipoise

Water = 1 centipoise.

Acetone = 0.31 centipoise.

Air = 0.018 centipoise.

I would never use a paper gasket for something 20 times thinner than acetone, especially when it's u͛͛͛n͛͛͛d͛͛͛e͛͛͛r͛͛͛ ͛͛͛p͛͛͛r͛͛͛e͛͛͛s͛͛͛s͛͛͛u͛͛͛r͛͛͛e͛͛͛

On 11/30/2022 at 1:19 PM, Larry Schramm said:

You might not want to look at the valve body gaskets on an automatic transmission.  Last time I checked they were paper and they are under significant pressure.

ᴮᵘᵗ ᵃᶦʳ ᶦˢ ᵛᵉʳʸ ᵗʰᶦⁿ ⁻⁻⁻⁻⁻⁻⁻ ᵖᶠᶠᶠᶠᶠᵗᵗᵗᵗ ⁻⁻⁻⁻⁻⁻⁻⁻⁻⁻⁻⁻ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ ᶦᵗ ᵍᵒᵉˢ⁻⁻⁻⁻⁻⁻⁻

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...