coat hook 40 super sedan

Drakeule

As my electrical short problem in the Roadmaster is "fixed", I'll turn my attention to a very minor item: the coat hooks on the '40 Super Sedan.

I originally thought that they were the standard one hole hooks (like Bob's has for sale.) Somebody else before me must have thought so too; so much so that they tore holes in either side of the headliner in a vain attempt to find the mounting plate with the screw hole in it....

Examination with a very nifty fiber optic camera (Innova, about $115) reveled no such mounting plate. I then asked several friends who had similar sedan models where their coat hooks were. To my surprise, they are spring loaded types that are located under the handgrips at the back of either door. Of course, mine are long gone!

Anybody have a source for these?

Thanks,

CD, Potomac, Md.

I was hoping to have an answer for you as I had a similar car for a couple years.  Examination of my photos did not reveal a coat hook, just the assist strap, and I would not leave that as a definitive answer.  Do you have any photos of any sort of the old part or the location of the part?  

On 11/7/2022 at 4:01 PM, Drakeule said:

To my surprise, they are spring loaded types that are located under the handgrips at the back of either door. Of course, mine are long gone!

Anybody have a source for these?

Hi Drake:

I don't have a source for these, but at least now I understand what you're talking about.  When I first read your post, the description of the location of the hooks confused me.  (Now I understand what you meant by "under" the handgrips.)  But the main (mistaken) thing I was thinking was, "Hmm, spring loaded?  My car doesn't have any spring loaded hooks in the back."  Well, today I finally went out and looked at the coat hooks in my '41 "C" bodied sedan (same body as your car), and realized, of course, you're talking about the spring loaded feature that makes the strap tuck up behind the door when nobody's tugging on it.  (See photos.)

strap_hook1.jpg.6bdba7122b8cc4e7590ff9d47f9a2f6d.jpg

strap_hook2.jpg.8e9b8b347bb14b2f60f7fcc2ad72012e.jpg

I would imagine that this feature would have been the same on your '40, but I don't know for sure. Maybe @2carb40 (Greg) could help.  He has access to some junked 40's Buicks and has helped me with several hard to locate parts.

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 11/15/2022 at 9:23 PM, Drakeule said:

neil:

I thought that the hook itself was spring loaded, but I just looked at a friend's version very briefly, so maybe what you said is correct. I'll contact @2carb40

Thanks

Wish I had caught this last week when it was 70 for a few days, it's currently 18-20 degrees for high temp here in 'Frostbite Falls', I mean 'Many-snow-duh'! MPLS,MN

• Like 1
  • Haha 1