1923 Hudson super 6 clutch issue

rhurst

I have a 1923 super 6 that I must press very hard all the way to the floor for the clutch to disengage.

I have adjusted the linkage but all it did was raise the pedal height but didn't help the clutch to release.

Could it be the throw-out bearing needing to be replaced? Help from a more knowledgeable person would help.  Left a message with Dr. Doug the Hudson clutch guy but never heard back from him.

Robert

I assume you know the clutch has oil (Hudsonite) in it. Is the oil at the correct level?   if So, then possibly the throw out bearing seal has piled up and is jamming the works.

If that is the case what do I need to do to fix it? What do you mean by "piled up"? Is it something I can clean?  I have a new throw-out bearing but not sure what to do with it.

I have changed out the Hudsonite oil and it is at the correct level.

Robert

As I am just guessing - remotely. there is a leather seal on the outside of the throwout as you can see if you have a spare. I was just thinking the leather may have ripped or folded up or something. Otherwise it' something in the pressure plate, like a broken finger, which I can't imagine what on an enclosed setup like a Hudson.  However, it may be a take apart and look. 

Thanks for the help.  When I took off all the covers so I could see the workings of the foot pedal and linkage I did not see anything leather around the area that was being moved when the clutch pedal was pressed down.  I need to send you a photo when I take everything apart again and have it up on a lift. If anything else comes to mind for me to check let me know. I'm sure this is a common problem but the diagnosis is the hard part.

Robert

P.S. I live in Louisiana a lot warmer than Saskatchewan

• Like 1

I am new to the Hudson world and did join the HET club.  I used vendors found in the magazine to have my clutch disc and pressure plate rebuilt.  The throw out bearing has a leather sleeve on the outside of it to make a seal in the pressure plate to keep the oil in.   It has been suggested that if this material folds over itself it would be hard to move in the pressure plate.  I believe you can see it,  While watching see if the throw out bearing  moves freely.  The HET members have been very helpful and saved me money.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information.  I have several repair books on my Hudson but see no mention of a leather sleeve around the outside of the throw out bearing. Do you have a photo to share with me? I would really appreciate it.  I too am a member of the HET club but have not received much info about my clutch problem from them.

Robert

I don't have one as old as 23, but I have the 40's type and they have the leather seal.  But it must have had something. Is it single plate or multiple disc? The multiple disc have separate lubrication for the throwout with a grease cup.

Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)

Yes, you won't see the leather with it in the car. It is on the outside of the bearing assembly but inside the collar on the cover. Can u have someone operate the clutch pedal and observe under the car the action of the bearing?  If you can see it, it's operation may give you a clue. The only lubrication I know of was likely a grease cup but I don't know what it actually greased. There is one in the picture I have.   How much have you run it? The Hudsonite should keep it lubed pretty well anyway. If it were mine I think I'd be pulling the transmission and clutch to find out what is stuck. This should be a nice easy clutch. 

8 minutes ago, rhurst said:

I agree

That's the next thing on my list!

Really appreciate all the information you just never know what was going

on before I got the car.

Robert

Robert,

Where in Louisiana are you located?

I'm in Metairie