1958 Mercury 2 Door HT Station Wagon $10,000

Marketplace - 1958 Mercury Commuter | Facebook

Seller's Description

Very hard to find 1958 Mercury Commuter two door hardtop! This car has the original 312hp 383 V8 in it still! Body is pretty straight but has a few dings from over the years. Has some rust in the floor. Comes with a few new old stock parts such as the taillights! Very cool old car that would make a great restoration project! $10,000 OBO

May be an image of car and outdoors
May be an image of car and outdoors

• Like 3

WOW - what is the chance?!?!?!?  - the following car posted the SAME day...   you can SKIP the restore and buy the finished car...

NOT MINE

1958 2 Door Mercury Commuter Wagon! Pristine - $58,500 (Long Beach, CA) [more pics in ad]

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ctd/d/long-beach-door-mercury-commuter-wagon/7553668880.html

1958 Mercury Commuter Station Wagon // 383 Marauder V8~330 HP //  Merco-Matic Push Button Transmission

call or text:
(949) 395-56 eight one

SINCE 2001!!!
Rare and hard to find! All stock except for the AC. There is also a Retro travel trailer available with maple interior, AC, radiant floor heat. Looks like an airplane. It would be an ideal addition with the wagon. Wouldn't this be amazing to have?
Travel well and nicely! Call or email for additional info on the amazing travel trailer.
Amazing vintage Flo Toned in Madeira Yellow/Black/White! 2 Door Hardtop Commuter wagon. This is the beginning of the fin car era. The chrome is outstanding. V8 runs and drives nicely. Updated 134 AC. Power steering, 4 BBL Carb. Push button transmission.
Nada, hagerty all values show this car well North of six figures. The paint is stunning as well as the interior. Motor runs like butter. utomatic transmission. The updated vintage interior sparkles and gleens, radio, clock.
NADA Blue Book Shows Value at approx. $110,000.
New Interior
Like New Paint
Original Wheel Covers
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Dual Side Mirrors
Rear Spare Tire
Wide white wall tires
Factory Radio

Sun Visor

Front and Rear Bumpers
Clean CA Title
No Accidents

AK0100a0a_66Nd0j1wWMTz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

AK0200202_gmtuCmTxOfTz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

AK0300O0O_j7r4evCLEcaz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

AK0400H0H_cdn1pyHGXxxz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

AK0500j0j_8m4uWXr9LHuz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

AK0600101_kMNMvRfmL7iz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

AK0700F0F_eBXURWgVu78z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

AK0800w0w_dJJpsWZkT7rz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

That finished car is gorgeous, and I love the showroom. Two of my favorite things: old cars and old bicycles!

I don’t think you could turn the car from the original post into the yellow and white beauty for $48k. It needs everything - body and rust repair, paint, chrome, interior, probably engine and trans rebuild, etc. I like to do my own work but it still costs big money for parts and materials these days. 

Thanks for the post, Jake. I'd rate this as one of the most interesting vehicles in the "not mine" category that I've seen. Maybe the best. I can't believe I'm seeing one of these for sale this close to me.

This car is not only rare for a Mercury, but I believe it's the only true two door hardtop wagon made by an American company, at least post-war. Some folks have posted other such wagons from Mopar or whatever, but they were fabbed into that configuration. I may actually go down and look at it.

The Classic Car Database lists 1958 Mercury station wagon production as follows:

(In addition to the "Commuter" series there was a "Voyager" series that also offered a 2-door wagon, a more up-scale model.
Low production numbers for both.)

Model No. Doors Passengers Original Price No. Produced
Select Colony Park 4 6 $3466.00 4474
Select Commuter 2 6 $2778.00 1912
Select Commuter 4 6 $2843.00 8601
Select Commuter 4 9 $2932.00 4227
Select Voyager 2 6 $3243.00 568
Select Voyager 4 6 $3336.00 2520
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Gearheadengineer said:

That finished car is gorgeous, and I love the showroom. Two of my favorite things: old cars and old bicycles!

I don’t think you could turn the car from the original post into the yellow and white beauty for $48k. It needs everything - body and rust repair, paint, chrome, interior, probably engine and trans rebuild, etc. I like to do my own work but it still costs big money for parts and materials these days. 

I agree 100%. The repair of any rust and the the paint, primer and blocking to look super clean alone would be 20K. That leaves you 28k to finish the car. 

Beautiful wagon, but those aren't the original hubcaps as the seller states, they're 1954-1955 Mercury 15" items. All 1958 Mercurys came with 14" wheels. IMO this is just another ad overhyping the car that's being sold. Yes this vehicle "sparkles & gleens" but I'd like to know if the NADA book value on this lower-priced Commuter wagon is really $110K. 

• Thanks 1

I tried contacting the Kansas seller a couple of days ago through facebook but have heard nothing back. I don't know if I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem too promising. The car was listed 12 weeks ago, so I'm guessing things have changed since then.

I tell you what - previously Craigslist and now Facebook marketplace either the sellers are Johnny on the Spot or they never answer your inquiries.  Sometimes I feel as though I have been blocked.    Or they will respond 6 weeks later, saying sorry I just got your message.  

We can all agree that the cost to restore this beast is way more than just buying one done, as in the beautiful example above.  But as we have noted many times, restoring cars is still a hobby, and most hobbies cost something.  

I am not a huge fan of that Yellow and White example above.  With this project car, your color palette is an open book.  I would keep it it a factory color combination but would likely change it.   

Now, the interior fabric on that restored car is beautiful.  If you have to go to SMS for correct fabric on the project car, you are looking at a frustrating 7-8 year process and lots of cash.  One of the downfalls of the hobby is lack of correct interior upholstery.  That is why you see so many compromises on upholstery in otherwise nice older cars. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 1