Oldsmobile Expert - 1976 Olds Cutlass S

STEVE POLLARD

I think the reason the sheet metal was tucked under was to improve aerodynamics and give the cars a sleeker appearance.  Just flaring the wheel openings out would have broken up the look they were trying to achieve.  Though I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying, probably the only way to achieve the sleekness they desired would have been to gradually flare the area behind the wheels.  Stone chips look terrible on painted metal and metal trim attached to that vulnerable area.  I would rather have no trim there since it tends to collect dirt, salt and water, leading to rust out.

1 hour ago, Jim Skelly said:

I think the reason the sheet metal was tucked under was to improve aerodynamics and give the cars a sleeker appearance.  Just flaring the wheel openings out would have broken up the look they were trying to achieve.  Though I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying, probably the only way to achieve the sleekness they desired would have been to gradually flare the area behind the wheels.  Stone chips look terrible on painted metal and metal trim attached to that vulnerable area.  I would rather have no trim there since it tends to collect dirt, salt and water, leading to rust out.

When my car below was new and a daily driver, I would periodically take the rocker molding off to clean and wax behind the rocker molding. I had the same fear of stuff getting behind it, but the rocker was far better shape than was above it. I'm the original owner to the car and I wish I had gone to the Pontiac/Buick dealer and ordered those moldings instead of the one on mine. They are difficult to find today.

My Olds image.jpeg.7b006d0350a68875974548bbf1ab1bf6.jpeg

A Pontiac Phoenix below, and Pontiac also offered rocker extensions behind the rear wheelhouse

1978 Pontiac Phoenix LJ | J98 | Kissimmee 2022

• Like 2

My Century was just like the one pictured below, but without the vinyl top.

1977 Buick Century Custom 4 Door Sedan, Old-Timer, Sedan, Century, Buick,  Car, HD wallpaper | Peakpx

The wheel opening lip flare didn't prevent road debris from 'sandblasting' the paint behind the wheels.  The front door bottoms and lower forward half of the rear quarter panel were the worst...  I bought this car used in 1985 with 18Kmi and there was no rot; just paint stripped from the lower body.

8 hours ago, TAKerry said:

We put mud flaps on the cars to prevent the stone damage behind the tires.

Yup, had some on the front.  All it did was move the start of the damage back a little further...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately no......the septic system here at the house failed a few days ago, in the process of replacing it.... $$$

The car is still available, Pete the owner is a great guy, if there is anyone here that would be interested, contact me and I'll give you his cell #.

Steve 

• Thanks 1

Well, 💩.

What did I say in another thread recently? Yer stuff KNOWS when you have some money set aside to do something, and it will scheme and find a way to take it!

The last three weeks one truck had to have tires, the other brakes, the county personal property tax bill showed up, as did the house insurance bill!

💩 indeed.

Plus if I were to spring for it, I'd have to build more garage space. Have y'all even priced an open-sided pole barn lately?😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

The last three weeks one truck had to have tires, the other brakes, the county personal property tax bill showed up, as did the house insurance bill!

Tell me about it ...1000 gal tank with new leach fields - $19 K...😒

19 hours ago, rocketraider said:

😳 That sounds like the tank caved in!

Coincidentally about what you could have got that pretty Colonnade for...

Glenn, it's now in Hemmings for 

$20,000

Negotiable

• Seller’s Description:
    1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
    33,000 original miles
    Documentation includes original order, sales receipt, window sticker, and complete maintenance record.  

EXTERIOR: Very handsome body lines. It is straight, no rust or damage. Lower door and quarters repainted.  Exterior color is Saddle Metallic with original White vinyl top. The paint is laid out evenly and the clear is polished smooth and glossy with painted on white pin stripes. All the chrome and trim is beautiful. It includes dealer emblem- Granger Oldsmobile, Kenosha, WI. Nice looking rally wheels with new BFG tires. Original glass is crystal clear.

INTERIOR: Unique Osborne Plaid upholstery.  Seats are still firm and very comfortable.  Door panels are pristine. The upholstery is mint. The dash area is pristine: no cracks, the chrome shines, vents, knobs, heater controls are spotless. Carpet is original and is in excellent shape.

ENGINE COMPARTMENT: VIN matching 350 motor runs smooth. It is completely unmolested. All original manifolds, air cleaner, valve covers etc. Even the bits and pieces are all there-heat riser tube, vacuum lines, clamps, duct work etc. The engine compartment is very clean.  It has never even been spray painted over and includes factory air conditioning, power steering and brakes. Brake booster has been nicely restored by boosters.com.

TRUNK COMPARTMENT: It's a time capsule. Completely untouched original and it looks practically new. Zero rust. It has its factory applied spatter paint and it still looks new. Under the trunk lid has original paint. The spare has never been on the ground. 

UNDERSIDE: Completely original underside. Aside from very light surface rust on some of the chassis components, this is a rust free underside. The floors are rock solid with no rot at all. It has disc brakes up front, which have about 8000 miles on them.  The car still has the original shocks, springs and rear brake shoes.  The exhaust system is newer with cat back duals.  There is a very slight rear seal drip. But the dip stick never drops below full between oil changes at 2000 miles.

Power steering
     Power disc brakes
     AM radio
     Rally wheels
     Air Conditioning

I hope this car gets into the hands of another owner who will maintain it as the current owner has. Steve would certainly have been that type of owner but I know sometimes stars simply do not align.

5 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

All the 73-77 Colonnade series cars were rust prone more than the previous 68-72 models. At least up here in Canada. Paint quality was worse and maybe the body style had something to do with it?

The body lines may have worsened it, but early 70s was the beginning of spotty quality control and lower quality steel at GM (every carmaker really). EPA and crash standards were eating up a lot of the budget that normally would have gone toward better quality materials.

Known rust-prone areas are at the lower edge of the back glass and just forward of the rear wheel openings. Vinyl top cars sometimes suffer from it at the bottom of the B-pillar on coupes where the mouldings trap water.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/21/2022 at 10:07 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

I might add that the Cutlass S was the only

Cutlass coupe with the sporty semi-fastback

roofline.  All the other Cutlass trim levels used a

notch-back roofline.

Although this thread is a couple of years old, I have been refreshing my brain on the confusing Cutlass lines of the mid-1970s.  It was the one line of cars that was difficult to determine model and model year.  You are SO right about the appearance differences on the 1976 S model that were unique to this model year.  S and the 442 of 1976 shared the NASCAR-design sloped front end and sloped rear window.  It was one of the vehicles that NASCAR legend Dale Earnhardt Senior drove during his long career.  I remember these new to nearly new as a kid because I thought they had the best Cutlass styling, but they were damn uncommon.  They stood out because hands down, they were the most attractive Cutlass of that generation.  The Supreme looked uptight with the upright front end, and to me, outdated by 1977.  By comparison, the '76 S and the 76' / '77 442 looked very fresh.  I only learned recently that the design was one year only for the 'S', though it lasted two years on the 442.  I thought how ironic it was that the lowly 'S' had such attractive styling for 1976 as it looked so upscale to my eyes back then.  The 'S' got the dull Supreme front end for '77, and only the 442 had the NASCAR look.

Regarding values, without looking, I know that values quickly rose after around 2019 on various collector cars, and $20K for an original, pristine 442 doesn't sound viable (two years ago) in 2022.  An 'S' probably would be the less likely survivor, though the 442 would be the more desirable in the marketplace.  There seems to be a greater interest in vintage vehicles.  For $20,000 (or whatever negotiated price), whoever bought it got a nice unmolested and very UNIQUE car that is much less the cost of a new vehicle, cheaper to insure as a classic, and can be used for enjoyment / take some burden off the weekday commuter car.  Furthermore, it is not a depreciating asset; it would likely keep most of its value if not increase.  I wouldn't consider a car like this an investment necessarily, but I don't see it as being a money pit of car payments, expensive repair bills, etc.  It may be the malaise era, but a damn nice cruiser.

I found the comment about the reliability of these with a 350 THM interesting.  Consider how the successful downsized '77 full-sized cars were based on this chassis, and it shows how the gradual evolution of cars at GM was a major positive.  I consider those vehicles as some of the last of the best....when GM switched to Front Wheel Drive (along with losing focus on its core mission of building cars and began to acquire unrelated companies like Hughes and EDS), it truly lost its way and on its path to bankruptcy.

On 10/21/2022 at 7:09 PM, STEVE POLLARD said:

Been looking at this 1976 Olds Cutlass S on another web site...

What ever happened to this excellent Cutlass?

Steve P. said he bowed out, to fund a septic system

instead.  I admired the car, and the interesting plaid

interior was icing on the cake, but of course I can't

own too many cars!

59 minutes ago, engineforbrain said:

(along with losing focus on its core mission of building cars and began to acquire unrelated companies like Hughes and EDS), it truly lost its way and on its path to bankruptcy.

EDS was purchased since each GM car division was using its own computer system.  The intent was to have the various divisions, corporate (Accounting, Purchasing, etc.) and GM Parts better track parts inventory, car inventory, communicate with each other when necessary, and save Information Technology (IT) costs.  It was also used at Electromotive, Detroit Diesel, Allison Transmission, Allison Gas Turbine, and many other divisions.  IT was - and still is - a substantial cost.  EDS also brought improvements to plant floor technology for automated guided vehicles used in machining and assembly operations.  Hughes Electronics was beneficial in developing in-car electronics.    

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

What ever happened to this excellent Cutlass?

Steve P. said he bowed out, to fund a septic system

instead.  I admired the car, and the interesting plaid

interior was icing on the cake, but of course I can't

own too many cars!

John, the owner Pete sold the Cutlass back in December 2022 to a fellow in Indianapolis.... I keep in contact with Pete thru Facebook - really nice guy!

• Thanks 2