METZ OWNER CONTACT

Les Murray

My friction drive car is not a Metz. It is the only one in the world a 1914 Brittania ( British) The friction drive wheel center is mounted about 1 inch higher than the center of the engine driving plate and it is producing side forces wearing out the friction material. Question; is th Metz friction wheel center in line with the center of the driving plate. Appreciate any advice Thanks.  

The friction wheel (usually compressed cardboard) must be in line with the center of the drive plate (usually aluminum). As you noted, a miss-alignment will wear out your friction wheel quickly. The friction wheel usually rests close to the drive disc (about 1mm or so).

Phil

Thanks Phil. I suspect my misaligment was either a design fault or when restored from rusty bits in |New Zealand 40 years ago they got it wrong. The side force is pushing the friction material to one side and wears very quickly. It has never worked well. It has a great 975cc ( C Inches?) V twin engine and can go very well.  Any other advice very welcome. My drive plate is cast iron but I see Metz Carter, Sears etc all Aluminium. I love the account of 1914 Metz and the Grand Canyon expedition. I find getting grip in the low gear on a steep hill is poor. Again thaks. No info available here!!

Les Murray

I assume aluminum is used to avoid rust, which would wear out your fiber wheel quickly. Snow blowers work the same way, but use a rubber wheel against an aluminum one (see photo). One Metz owner uses stacked rubber conveyor belting cut into rings instead of the cardboard. He trims it while in the car using a belt sander set-up.

Phil

snowblower.jpeg

I had issues with the friction drive on my 1909 Sears. I found they were originally made by Paper Pulleys, Inc. Looking them up on the Internet I found them to be still in business, so I bought a new friction wheel from them just like the original. In conversation they mentioned they also made a Metz friction wheel. You may want to look them up on the Internet or email them at info@paperpulleys.com. I think that email address is still correct.